Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK 3357 - Windows Phone 8.1 Build Fails

Mike_B_6
Novice

Hello,

I was able to build my app on all platforms using Intel XDK 3240, and I submitted to all the stores but got asked by Microsoft to make changes.

At that point, before making changes, I got the v3357 update, and now all of a sudden my Windows Phone 8.1 builds fail.  Windows 10 UAP, Windows 8, Android, and IOS all still work, just not Windows Phone 8.1.

In the build logs the error message is the following (replaced my IDs and app name with X's):

package.phone.appxmanifest(3,49): error APPX3019: App manifest validation failed. Value 'XXXXXXXXXXX' of attribute '/Package/Identity/@Publisher' is not a valid distingushed name. [...\XXXXXXXX\platforms\windows\CordovaApp.Phone.jsproj]

ERROR building one of the platforms: Error: ...\MSBuild\14.0\bin\msbuild.exe: Command failed with exit code 1
You may not have the required environment or OS to build this project
ERROR: Error: ...\MSBuild\14.0\bin\msbuild.exe: Command failed with exit code 1
ERROR:     at ChildProcess.whenDone (...\XXXXXXX\platforms\windows\cordova\node_modules\cordova-common\src\superspawn.js:139:23)
ERROR:     at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
ERROR:     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:172:7)
ERROR:     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:818:16)
ERROR:     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:211:5)

I've double checked all my settings, I've tried building it with all plugins removed, I've tried using my regular publisher ID as my mobile publisher ID, I've looked on forums everywhere, no luck.

There were no changes on my end, just updated the Intel XDK, and now the build fails :-(

Please help!  It's so frustrating for it to break right when I am just wrapping this project up!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_B_6
Novice

Confirmed, all Windows builds now complete successfully without using the workaround mentioned in this thread.  I haven't tried submitting the builds produced to the Microsoft App Store, since my app is already live now, but there were no build errors :-)

Thanks Paul, and Intel XDK team, for resolving this issue; keep up the great work!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Fabian_S_
Beginner

I have also problems when building in IOS and Windows Phone.
I published a report but nobody replied yet.

https://software.intel.com/es-es/forums/foro-de-desarrolladores/topic/635214

Regards

0 Kudos
Mike_B_6
Novice

After hours of additional tinkering around and Googling, I've finally figured this out.

It appears that as of Intel XDK v3357, the Publisher IDs in the build settings are being propagated properly for Windows 10 UAP and Windows 8 builds, but not for Windows Phone 8.1 builds.

The root cause is that the publisher ID prefix "CN=" is not being added to the final package for Windows Phone 8.1 builds, which breaks the build with the error above.  It is however being set properly for the other Windows builds.

To temporarily resolve this until it's fixed by Intel, since you are not allowed to put "CN=" in the project build settings, you can put the following line in the root of the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file (not in platform specific settings or else it won't work):

<preference name="windows-publisher-id" value="CN=XXXX-PUT-YOUR-PUB-ID-HERE-XXXX"/>

Obviously replace everything after the "CN=" with your publisher ID, and this will force it to get through properly for Windows Phone 8.1 builds.

NOTE, you must remove or comment this line when doing Windows 10 UAP or Windows 8 builds though, otherwise when you try to submit to the Microsoft store it will have "CN=CN=XXXX...." in the package.

This is a pretty serious bug, it cost me A LOT of time to figure out!  Hope this helps you, and helps the Intel devs to get it fixed asap.

Using this method for now allowed me to build everything and submit :-)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Mike -- thanks for that sleuthing. I'm alerting the responsible build engineer.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Mike --  please try your builds again without making the mod you made for the Windows publisher ID, there were some issues with the way the Windows Phone builder was handling that. It should work correctly, now. Please confirm on this thread.

0 Kudos
Mike_B_6
Novice

Confirmed, all Windows builds now complete successfully without using the workaround mentioned in this thread.  I haven't tried submitting the builds produced to the Microsoft App Store, since my app is already live now, but there were no build errors :-)

Thanks Paul, and Intel XDK team, for resolving this issue; keep up the great work!

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

You're welcome!

0 Kudos