Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Intel XDK- unable to login in Ubuntu

Ajith_R_
Novice

Hi,

I downloaded & installed the Intel XDK software Linux(32-bit) in my system(Ubuntu 14.04). I cannot get to the login page after I open Intel XDK. There is a loading wheel that just spins forever until an error message comes up with the error 'Attempt to contact authentication server is taking a long time. You can wait, or check your network connection and try again.'. I have checked my network connection & it seems to work fine.

Intel XDK version: 2727

I've attached the screenshot of the loading page.

Can anyone please tell me a way to solve this issue??

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ajith_R_
Novice
Thanks Paul. I've mentioned in the initial post that I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. Earlier my libnss3 version was older than  2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1. I tried the above solution upgrading system - > $ sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade . This too didn't work. Even after updation the libnss3 version was less than 2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 . Then I tried updating the libnss3 library manually -> $ sudo apt-get install libnss3 Now my libnss3 version is : Version: 2:3.21-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 The issue is solved and now I'm able to login to Intel XDK I think, the older version of library libnss3 is the exact reason for the above mentioned error. Once again thanks to Paul and Support team.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I'm guessing this is a proxy issue. Please see this FAQ for help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#bad-proxy

0 Kudos
Roderick_F_
Beginner

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

I'm guessing this is a proxy issue. Please see this FAQ for help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#bad-proxy

It is clearly not a proxy issue.  I have no proxies set up at all, and yet it will not allow login.  The SignUp page will come up when clicking the SignUp button, but even if I click the login link from within that signup page, the same result occurs: spinning icon and finally timeout message box with a Dismiss button, as described in the original post.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I've got a VM that is experiencing the identical issue. I've filed a high priority bug, I cannot figure out a workaround for this issue.

0 Kudos
Ajith_R_
Novice

This issue is still not solved in the latest version . It's been nearly 4 months since this issue has been reported. Just now I downloaded the latest version (Intel XDK version: V3088 ) and I'm still experiencing the above mentioned error. I hope this will be solved atleast in the next version.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Today engineering was able to reproduce the issue. It's been a difficult thing to reproduce. They are trying to get to the root cause.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

According to engineering, this is the problem (that we have been able to reproduce):

There was a bug in libnss3 that was fixed long ago that caused name constraints on certificates imposed by intermediate CAs to be improperly validated. The Intel SSL Basic Policy CA certificate (which is used for login authentication) imposes naming constraints on subdomains.

see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nss/+bug/1358727
and https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nss/2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

Run this command to see which version of libnss3 is installed on your system. If it is older than 2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 this could be the source of the problem.

$ sudo dpkg -s libnss3 | grep -i version

This is the recommended solution (upgrade your system):

$ sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

p.s. Update to the note above -- if you have a version of Ubuntu older than 14.04 you may have to upgrade to a newer version. My VM image is a 13.10 version which had not been updated in quite some time (>one year). Unfortunately, I was not able to update the key files because they are no longer available from the Ubuntu upgrade servers, so my only practical option is to upgrade to 14.04 or newer.

Likewise, this may require that other Linux distributions also require a newer version, especially if you are running something that is more than two years old. There is no guarantee that the Intel XDK will install and run on other Linux distributions, we only test and validate on Ubuntu Linux.

0 Kudos
Ajith_R_
Novice
Thanks Paul. I've mentioned in the initial post that I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. Earlier my libnss3 version was older than  2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1. I tried the above solution upgrading system - > $ sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade . This too didn't work. Even after updation the libnss3 version was less than 2:3.17-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 . Then I tried updating the libnss3 library manually -> $ sudo apt-get install libnss3 Now my libnss3 version is : Version: 2:3.21-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 The issue is solved and now I'm able to login to Intel XDK I think, the older version of library libnss3 is the exact reason for the above mentioned error. Once again thanks to Paul and Support team.
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ajith -- thanks for that additional feedback. I'm repeating below what you did so others you have the same problem can find it more easily. Unfortunately, even on my Ubuntu 13.10 release that doesn't help, because they've removed the update packages for everything older than 14.04. Looks like I need to build a new Ubuntu VM. :-(

As Ajith pointed out, this was all that was required to fix the problem on his Ubuntu system:

$ sudo apt-get install libnss3

0 Kudos