Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Ionic2/Angular2 and Intel XDK

Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

I'm a newcomer and still learning my way around the XDK and app development.

I did the Udemy XDK and Ionic online tutorial and saw how to develop an Ionic/Angular app using the XDK, and it has piqued my interest in using Ionic2/Angular2 for future development - particularly since there seems to be a lot of documentation available for these frameworks.

So, my questions are...

1. Can I use Ionic2/Angular2 with the Intel XDK? I realize this would probably need to be done without using the App Designer, which is a pity, but I still see benefits in the simplicity of testing, building and publishing an app using the XDK!

2. Is it possible to use the App Designer and create an MVC application, using any framework?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Geoff,

You can definitely create an app using MVC where the controller saves data to a database.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Yes you can use Ionic2/Angular2 with the Intel XDK.

There is no "best" App Designer framework. Each framework has pros and cons. You should choose that framework which serves your application needs best. The list below provides a quick list of pros and cons for each of the frameworks that are available as part of App Designer.

For more information please see our FAQ section for App designer https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/app-designer

And some getting started video tutorials for App Designer: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/videos/intel-xdk-app-designer

• Framework 7 -- PRO: provides pixel perfect layout with device-specific UI elements for Android and iOS platforms. CON: difficult to customize and modify.

• Twitter Bootstrap 3 -- PRO: a very clean UI framework that relies primarily on CSS with very little JavaScript trickery. Thriving third-party ecosystem with many plugins and add-ons, including themes. CON: some advanced mobile UI mechanisms (like swipe delete) are not part of this framework.

• App Framework 3 -- PRO: an optimized for mobile library that is very lean. CON: not as widely known as some other UI frameworks.

• Ionic -- PRO: a very sophisticated mobile framework with many features. If you are familiar with and comfortable with Angular this framework may be a good choice for you. CON: tightly coupled with Angular, many features can only be accessed by writing JavaScript Angular directives. If you are not familiar or comfortable with Angular this is not a good choice!

• Topcoat -- This UI framework has been deprecated and will be retired from App Designer in a future release of the Intel XDK. You can always use this (or any mobile) framework with the Intel XDK, but you will have to do so manually, without the help of the Intel XDK App Designer UI layout tool. If you wish to continue using Topcoat please visit the Topcoat project page and the Topcoat GitHub repo for documentation.

• Ratchet -- This UI framework has been deprecated and will be retired from App Designer in a future release of the Intel XDK. You can always use this (or any mobile) framework with the Intel XDK, but you will have to do so manually, without the help of the Intel XDK App Designer UI layout tool. If you wish to continue using Ratchet please visit the Ratchet project page and the Ratchet GitHub repo for documentation.

• jQuery Mobile -- This UI framework has been deprecated and will be retired from App Designer in a future release of the Intel XDK. You can always use this (or any mobile) framework with the Intel XDK, but you will have to do so manually, without the help of the Intel XDK App Designer UI layout tool. If you wish to continue using jQuery Mobile please visit the jQuery Mobile API page and jQuery Mobile GitHub page for documentation.

•  
0 Kudos
Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

Thanks Amrita, I have watched all those videos, and have also seen the page you cut and pasted the above rundown from.

I am actually looking to go to the next step and create an app using MVC, and saving data to a database. Topics which do not appear to be covered in any of those videos, or other documentation I have seen at the Intel site.

Hence my 2nd question...

2. Is it possible to use the App Designer and create an MVC application, using any framework?

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Geoff,

You can definitely create an app using MVC where the controller saves data to a database.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Yes you can as Gaston mentioned 

0 Kudos
Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

2. Is it possible to use the ***APP DESIGNER*** and create an MVC application, using any framework?

IOW, can I design my windows/pages in APP DESIGNER and create an MVC file structure for the code using those windows/pages, or do the page1.html etc files need to be designed in code?

(I've already created an MVC app using Ionic1 and Angular1 but I wasn't able to use the app designer for the html pages - the CODE/DESIGN buttons disappear and I'm left only with the editor)

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Geoff,

Yes, you can App designer and create MVC application.

0 Kudos
Chris_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Geoff,

For any of the frameworks App Designer presently supports, you can leverage the service methods and make an MVC app.

For frameworks that App Designer doesn't support, you would have to do that work yourself.  

Presently App Designer supports Ionic 1.  Ionic 2 is in beta and App Designer does not yet support it.  I do not know when App Designer will support Ionic 2, or even if it will.   But we will likely not be supporting it while it is in beta.  

Hope this helps,

Chris

0 Kudos
Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

Thanks very much!

I think it is a big opportunity for the Intel XDK to support Ionic2/Angular2, so I hope it does someday soon.

0 Kudos