Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Library objects.

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Do library objects contain drive letter information? My real question is this: Can I compile (with or without debug) a shared library on my C:X move it to a shared server drive D:Y for general linking? Several of us are experiencing debugger crashes with shared libraries (we're all running 6.*, but the common libraries were origionally compiled in a variety of versions from 5.0 to 6.5A). These crashes occur even if the objects are stepped over. CVF then claims that it cannot find DF60.PDB, even though all *.opt files have been deleted and my project has been repeatedly rebuilt. Occasionally, the CVF window asking for the location of DF60.PDB will show that it was looking for it on the D: drive, and I have no source or library objects on the D:. Some of the shared libraries may have been compiled on a D: drive, but now reside on my C:. Finally, after the debugger crash CVF will not remove the DFDEV task from the CPU even though it's messages indicate that that it has been removed.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Full source paths can be contained in the debugging info, depending on how one builds, but if all the sources are local to the project, relative paths are generally used. I've never heard of a problem with the debugger crashing, though. I can't count the number of user workspaces sent to us that I've just loaded in the debugger without issues.

DFDEV is actually just a small shell that invokes Developer Studio (MSDEV is a similar shell), so it's not astonishing that it may stay around.

Steve
0 Kudos