Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

PS XE 2017 Cluster Edition installation failure over PS XE 2016u3

Jim_Dempsey1
Beginner

Installation of PS XE 2017 Cluster edition balked and did rollback when installing after Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3 (non-Cluster edition) on Windows 7 Pro x64 with MS VS 2010 and MS VS 2012->2013 upgrade.

I am uninstalling PS XE 2016u3 now and will retry when uninstall completes.

FWIW, this system had issues installing PS XE 2016 over 2015, had to uninstall that too.

It would be nice to keep various versions installed for regression testing....

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jim

This is unexpected. The IPS XE 2017 Cluster edition should be able to co-exist with IPS XE 2016.

You may check the installation log pid_*.log from %TEMP%/pset_tmp_PSXE2017_*/2016.*/log folder before uninstall 2016 U3.

Could you attach the log to investigate the issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jim_Dempsey1
Beginner

Attached are the log files. The log files are 15MB compressed. How do you expect me to sort out what caused the problem?

I did perform the uninstall of IPS2016XE and installation of IPS2017XECE completed. I haven't performed builds with it as of yet. Later today I will get to it. I needed the 2017 installed on the Windows system as the 2017 fixed a 2016 issue on the Linux system. I am consulting on a cross platform MPI application and have the Linux side working, now I am addressing the Windows side of the MPI application. I also have a 2017 issue posted on premier as to an OpenMP nested tasking issue and am awaiting feedback.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

MS VS is now broke. So are some other goofy things happening. Start menu icons (e.g. to Notebook and Windows Explorer not working).

When CD-ing to the MS VS install directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE, then issuing devenv.exe /resetsettings, it tells be a problem occurred, and that I should run devenv.exe /resetsettings.

So it looks like I will have to re-install MS VS (and updates), then maybe reinstall IPS 2017 to get the VS integrations.

This may not necessarily be your problem. Two days ago I installed MySQL, which also had a requirement for Python. After installing both of those, some things got broke. In particular, the environment variables got wacked, the variable WINDIR got deleted, and I do not know what else got wacked.

Hmm... this is wierd

Start | Control Panel | System and Security | System | Change settings   (or Advanced system settings)

pops-up Windows cannot find '%windir%\\system32\\systempropertiescomputername.exe' ...

Yet when I run the file directly, it works, then when I get into the Advanced tab and check the environment variables, windir=C:\Windows.

However, launching CMD.EXE (Start | Run) then windir is not present.

In searching the web for similar issues I find:

http://superuser.com/questions/527728/cannot-resolve-windir-cannot-modify-path-or-path-being-reset-on-boot

Which leads me to inspecting PATH for being too long. Using regedit.exe I find path at about 2780 bytes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;
C:\Python34\;
C:\Python34\Scripts;
C:\Program Files\Python35\Scripts\;
C:\Program Files\Python35\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.2.180\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\intel64_win\mpirt;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\ia32_win\mpirt;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\intel64_win\compiler;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\ia32_win\compiler;
C:\Software\Octave-3.6.4\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Qucs\bin;
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Trace Analyzer and Collector\9.0.2.045\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\MPI\5.0.2.044\intel64\bin;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\intel64\mpirt;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\ia32\mpirt;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\intel64\compiler;
%INTEL_DEV_REDIST%redist\ia32\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;
%C_EM64T_REDIST12%redist\intel64\compiler;
%C_IA32_REDIST12%redist\ia32\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\intel64\tbb\vc10;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\ia32\tbb\vc10;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\intel64\ipp;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\ia32\ipp;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\intel64\mkl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\ComposerXE-2011\redist\ia32\mkl;
%IFORT_COMPILER12%redist\intel64\mpirt;
%IFORT_COMPILER12%redist\intel64\compiler;
%IFORT_COMPILER12%redist\ia32\mpirt;
%IFORT_COMPILER12%redist\ia32\compiler;
%IFORT_COMPILER12%compiler\lib;
%ICPP_COMPILER12%redist\intel64\compiler;
%ICPP_COMPILER12%redist\ia32\compiler;
%ICPP_COMPILER12%compiler\lib;
%SystemRoot%\system32;
%SystemRoot%;
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\bin.x64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\lib.x64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLAB C32 Suite\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\mingw32\bin;
c:\iverilog\bin;
c:\iverilog\gtkwave\bin;
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Utilities 1.6\

Linefeeds added for legibility. Without LF (or CRLF), it is still over 2047 bytes.

I notice that the uninstall of some of the earlier Intel products did not remove the path entries (e.g. 2011, 2016)

Composer 2011 failed to uninstall, I will manally remove the files and path entries and see what happens.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Removing the older versions (also uninstalled version) from PATH and thus shortening PATH to less than 2048 characters corrected that problem. I can now launch MS VS, and compile and run a Hello World with IVF 2017.

However, upon reboot, the Intel Software Manager posts a message, and list all the 2015 and earlier updates. I have licenses registered under two different user names (personal and business) and use the same system for both. The personal ones are listed in the software manager, and are out of date.

Note, I happen to be logged in to ISN using the personal account. Would that affect the Intel Software Manager selection of account.

From the Intel Software Manager, (icon Open from task bar by clock), I cannot select which account to manage.

The purpose of my postings here are to provide solutions to others with similar issues.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jim

Thank you for the update.

For your previous IPSXE 2017 installation issue, according to the attached log, it relates to component Amplifier XE. I think that's way you can install IPSXE CE(component edition) 2017 successfully. The error can be initially identified from "pid_*.log":

[t1f88 2016.09.20 17:20:59.327 0000b62c] [MSI processing]: INFO: request to install msi: C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\Intel\parallel_studio_xe_2017_setup\installs\amplxe\amplxe_msvcrt_x86\amplxe_msvcrt_x86.msi
[t1f88 2016.09.20 17:21:06.927 0000b62d] [MsiUIHandler]: ERROR: MSI Error: An error occured during the installation of assembly component {98CB24AD-52FB-DB5F-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x80070091. 
[t1f88 2016.09.20 17:21:09.527 0000b62e] [msistd]: INFO: Internal call: error code: 1603 (Fatal error during installation.

Then need to track down to component log. I am going to escalate this installation engineer for root causing. I will let you know for an update.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

deleted post to wrong forum

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jim

Could you also send us the log file: %windir%\logs\cbs\CBS.log for further investigation?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The two most recent logs are attached. By the way, I could not upload the Cbs....cab files directly.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Jim

Thank you for uploading the log files.

Our engineer has investigated your log and found that:  

1.  VC80.CRT assembly was invoked to uninstall very often and before the amplxe_msvcrt.msi installation.
  2.  Many Failures during WindowsUpdateAgent sessions. Windows updates in pending state or failed Windows updates can cause the errors during Microsoft assembly installation. 
  3. At installation log the error occurred during "Microsoft* Visual C++ Runtime Libraries" installation

So we conclude that more possible reason of this failure is caused by system configurations instead of installer.

Please firstly try follow this recommendations “https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833” to try repair possible system files corruptions. And then try to install Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE.

There are also several the same errors (1935 + HRESULT 0x80070091) occurred during another Microsoft* Visual C++ assembly components installation. If systems files repairing will not help you can try solution suggested for the same errors on the Microsoft forums:

Try the following (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/777e4cc4-599a-4cc0-bc5c-0d02bda35fde/vs-2008-installing-error?forum=vssetup):

1. Check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.

Please go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

2. Use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista (Applicable for Windows 7 too).

See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If .NET Framework 3.5 is not verified, please remove and reinstall it.

Then try to install Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE.

If this will not help too, please try installation of IPS XE after the clean boot (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/b4f178fa-dee0-44dc-a859-a0dc81c81205/visual-studio-2008-windows-7-and-error-1935?forum=vssetup):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please, note that after the IPS XE installation, your system should be restarted again in the normal mode.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks.

0 Kudos