Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Reading fan speed, temperatures, voltages and RAID status

Erik_Loman
Beginner

Hello all,

For the lack of a better place I post my question here.

We are creating an appliance based on Intel 3000 chipset (with ICH7 controller) running Windows XP SP2 Embedded.
We would like to get information about the hardware state like fan speeds, temperatures, voltages and S.M.A.R.T. hard disk information(through RAID) and RAID status.

Since we run Windows XP Embedded we are not able to install management suites, we just want to get the values.

Where can I find information on how to retrieve these values from the motherboard. For example SpeedFan is able to read most of these values but where can I find information from Intel on how to access this kind of information? I assume I have to access the SMbus. But where is the documentation on how to do this?

I am a software developer and I am willing to write drivers or DLLs if that what it takes. But to my opinion it should be made fairly easy to read this kind of info from the hardware. Somehow I am unable to find more information on the matter.

Please help me out. Any advice or links to helpful articles are more than welcome.

Kind regards,
Erik Loman
Software Architect

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Intel_Software_Netw1
Hi Erik,

All publicly posted hardware information of this type is linked from the Intel Hardware Design site.

If the technical info you need isn't in the public docs, then since you are also doing software development, our recommendation would be for Surfright to sign up to the Intel Software Partner Program, which will give you access to some additional software enabling support. (We recommend this in either case, really -- might as well take advantage of all the free benefits Intel offers to software companies. :) ) You can then work through your program membership to sign any NDAs required to access non-public documentation.

Generally, though, companies primarily in the business of designing hardware appliances need to work through an Intel rep or an FAE to obtain design support. This might turn out to be the best avenue for you regardless of whether you also sign up for ISPP for software enabling. Your company's Purchasing Department will normally have your Intel representative's contact information. If you have no contact, please see http://www.intel.com/buy/networking/design.htm under "Design Components".

If your location is not listed, please see an Intel Authorized Distributor and ask for a Field Application Engineer (FAE). The Intel Authorized Distributor list is also linked from the Design Components URL above.

==

Lexi S.

IntelSoftware NetworkSupport

http://www.intel.com/software

Contact us

0 Kudos
bernd123
Beginner

Hi Erik!

Have you succeeded to get these information with help from the partner program?

A simple yes or no would be great information for me trying to go the same way, to get these kind of data especially the raid and smart status behind a raid.

Best regards

Bernd

0 Kudos
Olewinski__Aleksande

Hi Erik, Bernard,

Did you get the information needed to read the raid status from Intel? I have the same issue and I can get nowhere with Intel customer support.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Aleksander

0 Kudos