Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Running a mic target with Vtune 2015 from the command line

Alastair_M_
New Contributor I

Dear all,

It seems that the behaviour of amplxe-cl has changed in 2015 and the knc-hotspots target is gone.

I can run my project from amplxe-gui, but when I take the command line shown and try to execute it from the command line, it tries to execute the mic command on the host.

The command line output from the gui looks just like a host only run of vtune:

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2015.1.0.367959/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -- ~/wrapper.sh

Is there a simple fix to this command line to run the target on mic0?

Best regards,

Alastair

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sumedh_N_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Intel VTune Amplifier XE workflow for the coprocessors has changed in 2015. You can find more about the workflow at : https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/529230

To summarize the key changes: 

#1 Execution on the coprocessor is indicated by choosing target system as mic-native or mic-host-launch in the VTune project properties. 

#2 You no longer need to explicitly ssh into the coprocessor by using "ssh" as an application. The analyzer will automatically ssh you into the coprocessor. 

#3 knc-* analyses are not longer available. These analyses have been consolidated into general advanced-hotspots, general-exploration and bandwidth analysis.

Also, your new command line should look like this: 

amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -target-system=mic-native:0 -- <path on coprocessor>/a.out 

I hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sumedh_N_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Intel VTune Amplifier XE workflow for the coprocessors has changed in 2015. You can find more about the workflow at : https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/529230

#1 Execution on the coprocessor is indicated by choosing target system as mic-native or mic-host-launch in the VTune project properties. 

#2 You no longer need to explicitly ssh into the coprocessor by using "ssh" as an application. The analyzer will automatically ssh you into the coprocessor. 

#3 knc-* analyses are not longer available. These analyses have been consolidated into general advanced-hotspots, general-exploration and bandwidth analysis.

amplxe-cl -collect advanced-hotspots -target-system=mic-native:0 -- <path on coprocessor>/a.out 

I hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Alastair_M_
New Contributor I

Sumedh Naik (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

I hope this helps. 

Thank you Sumedh, that is exactly the information I was looking for.  Thanks for the link and your help.

Best regards,

Alastair

0 Kudos