Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Testing Windows Phone App

Arne_B_1
Beginner

Hi,

how can I test my app on Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia)? I just read things about "run over Visual Studio" or "Application Dev Tool".

I thought it is possible to install the apps as in android devices. Or at least to debug the app.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

Arne

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Elroy_A_Intel
Employee

Currently, Intel XDK only allows you build Windows Phone apps for installation but doesn't support on Apache Cordova* and it's plugins. Intel App Preview for Windows Phone devices currently doesn't support Cordova plugins either.

You can debug your application via the Weinre script tag inclusion in your index.html file as mentioned in the Test tab within Intel XDK. 

0 Kudos
Arne_B_1
Beginner

Does "build Windows Phone apps for installation" mean that the only way for deploying Intel XDK application to an end device is the Windows AppStore? Even for testing purposes? Other vendors provide ways to bypass the stores in early development stages. (E.g.: you can send an andriod-apk via mail to an end device.) Are there such options for Intel XDK applications too?

Thanks!

Arne

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

You do not need to submit to the store. After you complete the build, download it. You can then use Windows Phone Tools to install on the device. 

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

The intel XDK App Preview doesn't work on Windows Phone. It's always throwing "There was a problem retrieving or extracting the application from the cloud."

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Is this for all apps or just one? 

Did you push the app to the cloud on the TEST tab of the XDK?

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

Yes I did. I pushed the source code to the cloud. I am experiencing the same thing on all my apps.

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Are you using any 3rd party plugins that many not be compaitable?

What device/OS are you testing on?

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I
Lumia 630. I am not using a non-compatible plugin.I created xap file using the legacy build and the app worked.
0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Legacy builds have been removed from the build system. When did you build it legacy?

You cant just rebuild for cordova, you have to update your app/plugins/code to be cordova compliant. Did you do this?

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

Yes I did. The app is working as expected when I run it on the emulator, but I need to test it on a real device before submitting it to the store.

The demo apps that came with the App Preview for Windows phones are also throwing the same ("Could not fetch from the cloud") error.

I have a strong wi-fi connection and I was able to login to my Intel account. 

Your engineers should try and fix this problem that was also on the previous App preview version.

0 Kudos
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

We have an article with instructions on how to side-load your built Windows app on your device for testing: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/articles/side-loading-win-phone-apps

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

I am not talking about a side-load here. Intel App Preview works seamlessly on Android without any side-load. You need to work on the Windows phone version. What is the essence of publishing the app in the first place?

0 Kudos
Anusha_M_Intel1
Employee

Michael,

My reply was in response to the thread creator Arne. This is why we encourage users to create separate threads. It makes the threads less confusing - to respond and in searches. 

As for your App Preview problem, I have a Lumia 630. I will test it and update the thread. 

0 Kudos