Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Using Parallel Inspector 2011 with a DLL

scotta555
Beginner

I have used the Parallel Inspector with an executable (.EXE) and the Inpsector works quite well. How do I use it with a DLL? Typically when I debug a DLL, I attach to a running explorer.exe process through VS 2010 which in turn invokes my DLL. Do I need to create ashell executable that loads my DLL and then call the various methods of the DLL or, is there a more direct way to use the Inspector?

Thank you,
scotta555

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel

Hi,

Since Inspector performs dynamic analysis, you need to run your binary. With a DLL you just create a main executable and call the functions of the DLL. Inspector will analyze both binaries.

0 Kudos
scotta555
Beginner
Vladimir,

Ah, as I thought. One needs to use indirection meaning writing a shell (mian) executable, loading the DLL and calling the various functions of the DLL. I wanted to see if there was a betterway of going about this. Thank you for your rapid response.

Scott
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Hi Scott,
You may want to use the Static Security Alalizer available in conjunction with the Intel Composer:http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/inspectorxe/en-us/lin/ug_docs/olh/common/typical_usage_flow_static.htm
(it will require Inspector XE, however)
0 Kudos
Matthew_F_Intel
Employee
Scott-

You might also consider just using explorer.exe as your shell as you do with the debugger. Inspector's dynamic annotation won't be able to tell the difference between an .exe that you wrote and a 3rd part .exe. One problem with this approach might be that Inspector will try to analyze explorer.exe, and so it might take quite a while (and memory) to get to the point where explorer.exe loads your dll and starts exercising your code.

-Matt
0 Kudos