Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

When using two cameras at once for grabbing depth data, IR interference is a huge problem. Tips?

Granger_L_
Beginner

I am currently using librealsense to use two F200 cameras at once with the goal is being able to track a hand using two depth streams to improve accuracy of the tracking by lessening the occlusion.

However, the interference from the lasers are distorting the depth images. I have tried toggling the depth streams on and off between the two cameras, but the time it takes for a stream to be disabled and reenabled takes about a whole a second, which is just too slow.

My second approach was to toggle the laser power between the two cameras, so that one will be at laser power 0, while the other is 12, and so on. But even then, interference is still present. I will next try to change the framerates of the depth stream, but I was wondering if any of you have dealt with this before or any any suggestions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aviv_h_
Beginner

We were able to get multiple cameras working by toggling their laser power to 0 and then individually to MAX for each individual camera in turn. You have to wait 100 ms or more for the laser power toggle of the previous camera to take effect, then flush the frames, then a acquire a clean frame. This works but the frame rate goes way down.

If you find a way to keep the frame rate high do let me know.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Granger_L_
Beginner

aviv h. wrote:

We were able to get multiple cameras working by toggling their laser power to 0 and then individually to MAX for each individual camera in turn. You have to wait 100 ms or more for the laser power toggle of the previous camera to take effect, then flush the frames, then a acquire a clean frame. This works but the frame rate goes way down.

If you find a way to keep the frame rate high do let me know.

Thank you!

I see! What framerates are you getting with your approach?

0 Kudos
aviv_h_
Beginner

When setting the delay time to 100ms and using 2 cameras I get approx. 5 fps.

You can figure the FPS as a function of the delay and number of cameras with some math.

0 Kudos