Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

dfdev.exe error message

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
When running a large program in debug, I receive the following error message immediately after focusing the MVS debugger window (NOT when execution halts):

dfdev.exe - Application Error
"The instruction at "0x02e2c1cb" referenced memory at "0x00000002". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Behind this window is another that I cannot raise. It's a Find Symbols window asking to please enter the path for DF60.PDB... which is located in the same folder as the executable. This, to my understanding, is the default location.

I have read the thread for dfdev.exe errors reporting disk not found, and I deleted all debugger files except workspace and project info. After rebuilding, it still fails only in debug, running fine interactively. The debugger also works great on several other smaller apps.

Thanks in advance
Jim Reinsberg
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Did you also delete the .OPT file?

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Yes. I deleted all DF files except *.dsp and *.dsw. Then, a clean rebuild-all. Same failure. I also noticed that backing out of all error windows and CVF still leaves a DFDEV task in memory. I think this starts when DFDEV failes, and even though I respond that I do not want to debug it.. it gets left behind. A guess, but a good one I think, since this task is only left dangeling when DFDEV crashes.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
This problem seems machine dependant. I have copied an exact duplicate of all source and input files from a machine where debug works completely (Dell optiplex gx110/256MB ram, CDF 6.5A) to my machine (IBM T20 laptop/256MB ram, CDF 6.5A) where debug fails. I suspect this may be a dependancy or resource issue. Additional thoughts would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Why this should help, I don't know, but some users find that deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftDevStudio6.0 registry key, then rerunning Visual Fortran Per-User Setup, helps in similar situations.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve.... you're a miracle worker! Tell your boss I recommend you for an immediate raise.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Jim, I passed on your request to my manager :-)

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve... I have a new problem now. The debugger is having difficulty finding DF60.PDB. It opens a window asking for directions, and when I define it's location it tells me that there is a file there with the correct name... but its the wrong one! Whats up with that? I tried deleting the registry once again and running user setup... no help. Since you're a bona-fide miracle worker now, this should be an easy one for you ;-)
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Hmm - that's the problem when one sets expectations too high.

I suggest doing a Build..Rebuild All and see if that helps. Generally, this occurs when the EXE and the PDB are out of synch.

Steve
0 Kudos