Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

iOS build failing for CLI 5.1.1 on Intel XDK 2893

Vivek_P_
Beginner

Capture.jpg

Hi,

I have been facing this error since yesterday. 
All I had changed between yesterday and today is a few lines of javascript.I hadn't made any changes in any of the cordova plugins but don't know why is it happening. Also, I had not tampered with any project or build setting before the iOS builds stopped working.
I also tried removing and adding the cordova wkwebview plugin and the cordova web server plugin again but it doesn't help at all. Android crosswalk builds are working totally fine. 

Please help, we have a investor meeting in coming few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Running Intel XDK build 2893 on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It appears that there is a dependency problem for the WKWebView plugin (it depends on an additional plugin named "cordova-plugin-webserver" but that plugin cannot be found by the build server).

To confirm if my theory is correct, please provide me a copy of the intelxdk.config.ios.xml file in your projects. Please attach it as a file to this post (use the "Attach Media" button underneath the "File Attachments" link below the forum post edit window). Please send me a copy of this file BEFORE you attempt the suggested fixes, below.

If my theory is correct, there are two ways to try and fix this, with the first being the preferred:

• If a copy of the cordova-plugin-webserver is present in the plugins directory, inside of your project folder, edit the README.md file inside of that specific plugin (doesn't matter what you add to the file, just add a line of text like "trying to fix this problem" in that file so the plugin will appear to the XDK to have been changed).
  • Then try building your app.

Since I cannot confirm if this is the correct plugin (it has the right name and ID, but I have no idea what was in the NPM registry that is now missing, so I cannot be certain this was it), this is the second option:

• If the cordova-plugin-webserver plugin is not present in the plugins directory, inside of your project folder, add it as a third-party GitHub plugin using the plugin manager. The plugin is located here > https://github.com/Icenium/cordova-plugin-webserver
  • An example of what that looks like, when you add it as a third-party plugin is:
    Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 12.28.39 PM.png

Please let me know if either of these solutions resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

You seem to have a lot of plugins selected. Are you actually using all of them? If not, remove the ones that you are not using.

Are you using the plugin GUI to add the plugins or are you using the additions file? If its the additions file, remove them from there and add them using th GUI manager.

Do you have a build log that you could save/attach to this thread?

What did you change from when it built to when it started failing?

0 Kudos
Vivek_P_
Beginner

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. We are actually using all those plugins in our app. We have added every plugin using the GUI manager itself and have never used the additions file to do the same.

Before two days, the iOS build was working completely fine with exactly the same set of plugins. In these two days, all we have changed is some javascript code in the app which does not pertain to any of the cordova plugins installed. We have not tampered with any cordova plugin settings during this time period.

Also, I will be unable to provide you with a build log as XDK doesn't provide me with one. All I get is the above message as present in the attached screenshot.

We are pretty much clueless about the problem.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Vivek -- can you provide some details on the problem plugin. What version is installed, what plugin ID or GitHub repo URL did you use to add it. A screenshot of that plugin expanded in the Plugin Management tool would be helpful. I believe that plugin will be pulled by the build system via a registry, it's possible what it was pulling two days ago has changed and is causing the problem. Details on that plugin might provide some clues.

0 Kudos
Nuttiya_C_
Beginner

error on wkwebview plugin.

https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView

version 0.3.8 is work ok.

version > 0.3.8 is not work but it's work ok before 1 march 2016.

0 Kudos
Vivek_P_
Beginner

@Paul The plugin that is creating the problem is https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView. Before the bug started to occur, I had version 0.6.7 of the plugin installed.

I tried installing v0.6.9, v0.6.7, v0.6.3 & v0.6.2 of the plugin but even that doesn't help. The WKWebView plugin fails to install at all with the same error message as posted in the screenshot. The build works fine if I remove this plugin completely but that would mean a hit on performance of the app.

I have also tried downloading the above versions of the plugin locally and then installing through the "Import local plugin" option but sadly even that didn't help.

Please let me know if you need any other details.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It appears that there is a dependency problem for the WKWebView plugin (it depends on an additional plugin named "cordova-plugin-webserver" but that plugin cannot be found by the build server).

To confirm if my theory is correct, please provide me a copy of the intelxdk.config.ios.xml file in your projects. Please attach it as a file to this post (use the "Attach Media" button underneath the "File Attachments" link below the forum post edit window). Please send me a copy of this file BEFORE you attempt the suggested fixes, below.

If my theory is correct, there are two ways to try and fix this, with the first being the preferred:

• If a copy of the cordova-plugin-webserver is present in the plugins directory, inside of your project folder, edit the README.md file inside of that specific plugin (doesn't matter what you add to the file, just add a line of text like "trying to fix this problem" in that file so the plugin will appear to the XDK to have been changed).

Since I cannot confirm if this is the correct plugin (it has the right name and ID, but I have no idea what was in the NPM registry that is now missing, so I cannot be certain this was it), this is the second option:

• If the cordova-plugin-webserver plugin is not present in the plugins directory, inside of your project folder, add it as a third-party GitHub plugin using the plugin manager. The plugin is located here > https://github.com/Icenium/cordova-plugin-webserver
  • An example of what that looks like, when you add it as a third-party plugin is:
    Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 12.28.39 PM.png

Please let me know if either of these solutions resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
Vivek_P_
Beginner

Paul, 

Your first solution did wonders for us. The WKWebView problem subssided on modifying its readme file but on building the app again, the cordova-plugin-dialogs (Notification) plugin failed to install as can be seen in the attached screenshot. We applied the same solution to this plugin as well, and finally we were able to build the app on iOS as intended. 

Is it something to do with the plugin cache on the build server?

Thanks a bunch for the help. Our team appreciates the effort. And yeah, the iOS config file from before the resolution is attached as well for you.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

It's not clear what is going on, but I think the problem is either the NPM registry or our build server's NPM cache.

We've instituted some changes in the next release of the XDK that should help to minimize this issue, and are working on some other changes to further improve the reliability of plugin fetching. Very glad to see the fix worked for you (the changes we make in the next release should eliminate the need for that workaround).

p.s. Thanks for providing that config file, it confirmed my suspicions.

0 Kudos