Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

iXDK building app using webrtc getUserMedia

Alexandre_D_2
Beginner

Hello,

I want to use webrtc getUserMedia to capture audio from the microphone on ios.

I cannot because ios safari doesn't implement getusermedia yet...

Two solutions here :

1/ use eface2face cordova-plugin-iosrtc (which use hook scripts) and build/sign using cordova and xcode manually instead of  Intel XDK which cannot handle hook scripts

2/ use intel XDK to package cordova app using Bowser navigator from ericsson research (see http://www.openwebrtc.org/bowser/) as it is done with crosswalk for android.

Would it be possible that the intel XDK team upgrade iXDK to handle hook scripts ?

Would it be possible that the intel XDK team upgrade iXDK to bundle Bowser navigator for ios app the same way it is already done with crosswalk for android ?

Fingers crossed, have a good day, and thanks to the intel XDK team for this great tool !

Alex

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Alexandre -- sorry, but we cannot make any promises on future features or schedules, so I cannot comment on whether or not such features would be added. However, you can convert your app into a Cordova CLI app and build it yourself, locally, if you want to get access to build features that our system does not support.

0 Kudos
Alexandre_D_2
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Can you log these two suggestions as feature requests ?

1/ allow hook scripts in intel XDK build process

2/ Add the possibility in intel xdk to package cordova app using Bowser navigator from ericsson research as runtime webview (see http://www.openwebrtc.org/bowser/) for ios target to support webrtc applications (as it is already done with crosswalk for android).

Thank you

Have a good day

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Alexandre -- your #1 request has already been logged as a feature request. Regarding your #2 request, we build Cordova apps which rely on the built-in webview of the device, they do not run in the mobile browser on the device. We are able to replace the webview on Android devices (our Crosswalk option), but Apple does not allow for the replacement of their built-in webview, it cannot be done for technical and legal reasons, so it is not possible to implement a solution for your #2 request. For that you need to implement an iOS web app that utilizes the Bowser mobile browser, which is not in the scope of the Intel XDK. I do not know if an iOS web app can be configured to require a specific mobile browser, you'll have to read the link I gave you to determine if that is possible. Otherwise, you need to use a WebRTC plugin for Cordova, search the web for "cordova plugin webrtc ios" to find some.

0 Kudos