Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

support for apk localization

Roi_D_
New Contributor I

Hi,

Is it possible, or planned, to support strings.xml for android apps?

Even for the minimum I would like to be able to put "/res/values-[lang]/strings.xml" files to make the play store recognize the apk support multiple languages and also localize the app name.

Thanks,

Roi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I believe there are some Cordova plugins that can help you with that. Search the web for "Cordova PhoneGap localization plugin for Android"

0 Kudos
Roi_D_
New Contributor I

a plugin can't do that. a plugin can help with localization by giving js access to device settings like locale, preferred languages, etc.

for apk localization and localize app name there must exists files named "res/values-[lang]/strings.xml" in the built apk.

when compiling myself with android sdk I can control the files in res/ folder. XDK doesn't seems to have a way to control files placed in the res/ folder. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

You can do that with a custom plugin, by adding those files using the plugin.xml file. For example, see how the barcode plugin deals with it: https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner/blob/master/plugin.xml#L138

0 Kudos
Roi_D_
New Contributor I

thanks I'll take a look at it.

I also thought of using a hook. With cordova cli I used static file in the platform/android/res folder and saw I can create the file I need with a hook.
Does the XDK support cordova hooks? can I specify something like the following?

<hook type="before_build" src="scripts/appBeforeBuild.js" />

will XDK use it if placed in intelxdk.config.additions.xml ?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Our build system will strip any hook scripts, for security reasons. Because an evil script could do lots of damage. We're looking into ways to accommodate hooks, but I have no idea when such a system will be in place. It would require significant restructuring of the build system, so it's not something I would count on anytime soon.

These links might also be useful:

0 Kudos
Jan_F_1
Beginner

Bump!

This is really an essential feature - for both iOS and Android!

0 Kudos