Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Intel RSTe Issue RAID 1 SSD Drives

RRabe
Beginner

I currently have 88 servers in production. The hardware for all servers is identical. The motherboard is a SuperMicro X9DRL-iF which is based on the Intel X79 PCH 602 Chipset. We are using Micron M500 SSDs (2) in a RAID 1 Configuration using the RSTe onboard RAID Controller.

44 of the 88 servers are running RedHat Linux version 6x. 44 of the 88 servers are running Microsoft Windows 2008R2. We are using version 4.3.0.1223 of the RSTe driver on the Windows Servers.

These servers are on separate intranets without internet access. 4 Windows and 4 Linux servers on each intranet. These installations are at various locations around the world. Their configurations are locked down. Remote access is not an option.

We are getting calls every week about failed drives in production from all locations. Most of these failed drives are discovered while rebooting the servers. The RSTe boot screen (Ctrl-I screen) will either show an error or a failure. It is usually on port 1.

For months now I have been trying to determine root cause of these failures, to no avail. I am unable to duplicate this issue consistently in the lab, although from time to time I will see a failure.

I would question the Micron SSDs as a possible culprit of these errors, but all of the failed drives are on the Windows 2008R2 servers only, leading me to believe that it must be the RSTe driver for Windows 2008 R2. The Linux servers have never shown an error.

I noticed that there is now a 4.6.0.1085 version of the RSTe driver for Windows 2008 R2. In the RSTe_Windows_DRV_v4.6.0.1085_readme.txt file, under Fixes/Updates, # 2 and # 3 fixes seem to pertain to my hardware platform.

If these fixes do pertain to my problem, is it possible for Intel to provide me with more details to the reasons for these fixes, so perhaps I can determine root cause, duplicate roote cause and prove that this upgrade will fix root cause? If they do not pertain to my problem, is there anything I can check to further uncover the root cause of this problem?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Rapid Storage Technology for enterprise support

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the Intel® RSTe software. In order to further investigate the issues that you are experiencing, could you please provide us a log file from 1 of the servers that is experiencing the issue?

Best regards

Luis H

0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

Luis,

Which particular log(s) file would you like?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Please provide us with the Intel® RSTe log file, so we can further research the issues that you are experiencing.

Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

We are following on your post so we can further investigate the issue that you are experiencing

Can you please provide us with the Intel® RSTe logs files from 1 of the affected servers

Thanks in advance

Luis H
0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

In order to expedite this request, can you point me to the exact location(s) and name(s) of the file(s) you are anticipating?

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for your reply and in regards to the LOG files that we need, the information that we need is stored in the /var/log/messages file; you can find a detailed guide on how to get the required information in our RSTe User Guide available here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021648/memory-and-storage.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021648/memory-and-storage.html

The information on the guide is located on the Section 4.7: Logging.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

Chris,

That sounds like a Linux path. I am having problems with the Windows side. If you would not mind sending me a link to the Windows RSTe information that would be great, or just let me know what you are expecting to receive from me.

Thank You

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for the reply; in regards to the information that we need; on Windows you'll need to open the RSTe User interface and look for the Email Feature of RSTe on the Preferences and have the information sent to yourself for example; and then, once that you've got the LOGs from RSTe; please send us that information.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

As stated in my opening description these installations are on standalone networks - no internet - no email.

Is there another way to get these logs?

Thank You

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for your reply and in regards to the RSTe logs you can find them on C:\Users\[usernamefolder]\Intel\Logs ; once that you've gathered the logs please attach them so we can research.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your case since we've received no reply from you.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your case and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

At this point we'll close your case; however, if you want to re-open your case and require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

Is there a place that I can upload these logs that are not on a public forum, or an email address I can send to?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

Thanks for your reply and we'll be sending you an email so you can send the logs to be attached to your case.

Regards,

Chris.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

We have checked the log files that you provided us, but we were unable to find evidence of the issue, however a new version of Intel® RSTe 4.7 has been released, but we always recommend to download the RSTe version from your motherboard OEM support site.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing the same issue on Intel® RSTe 4.7

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Drone,

We are following on your post status since advise you to update to the latest version of Intel® RSTe, however we haven't received a reply about the outcome.

Please let us know if you require further assistance

Best Regards

Luis H
0 Kudos
RRabe
Beginner

I think this is where the cricket sounds are heard.

0 Kudos