Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
317 Discussions

NUC5, High Speed custom solutions connector PCIe 4x

HUQINSHAN
Beginner

Hi, does anyone know on NUC5 board there is a slot called High Speed custom solutions connector PCIe 4x, can we use it to extend SATA port? how to use this slot, is there any product can be apply to this connector? thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm... You're stressing the memory talking about a board this old (launched in 2015)...

There were multiple NUC5 products and some of these had multiple SKUs. You really shouldn't refer to any NUC product using just a generation indicator.

Keying off the use of the word 'board', I am presuming that you are talking about the MY (Maple Canyon, NUC5i#MYBE) board products. In this case, here's what I can tell you about its HS-CSH:

• It does indeed provide the signals necessary to utilize the SOC's second SATA lane.
  • I do not believe that there was any BIOS support for bifurcation of the included PCIe lanes, which means that they must be utilized as a set. That is, only a single device can be connected; the lanes cannot be used individually to support multiple devices.
  • As mentioned in the TPS, the connector used is the Kyocera Series 6885 0.4 mm pitch FPC connector, p/n 00 6885 640 000 846. I have no information regarding cables and I have never heard of any productized assemblies. You might want to ask the folks at Micro SATA Cables or GORITE whether they ever did a SATA assembly for this connector.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm... You're stressing the memory talking about a board this old (launched in 2015)...

There were multiple NUC5 products and some of these had multiple SKUs. You really shouldn't refer to any NUC product using just a generation indicator.

Keying off the use of the word 'board', I am presuming that you are talking about the MY (Maple Canyon, NUC5i#MYBE) board products. In this case, here's what I can tell you about its HS-CSH:

• It does indeed provide the signals necessary to utilize the SOC's second SATA lane.
  • I do not believe that there was any BIOS support for bifurcation of the included PCIe lanes, which means that they must be utilized as a set. That is, only a single device can be connected; the lanes cannot be used individually to support multiple devices.
  • As mentioned in the TPS, the connector used is the Kyocera Series 6885 0.4 mm pitch FPC connector, p/n 00 6885 640 000 846. I have no information regarding cables and I have never heard of any productized assemblies. You might want to ask the folks at Micro SATA Cables or GORITE whether they ever did a SATA assembly for this connector.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
HUQINSHAN
Beginner

Thanks Bro,

Indeed, it is NUC5I5MYBE, really old model, I plan to use it as a NAS. since i read the manual, seems the M.2 2280 header is only support SATA but no NVME, cannot be extended SATA ports thru Nvme. that's why i look for other solutions, I just wondering can i use this

High Speed custom solutions conncetor to extend SATA ports, or can i have your kind advises for that? to extend sata....

Thanks you very much!

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi HUQINSHAN,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for contact Intel community

The information stated on the following website may help you with the issue that you have reported.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000097279/intel-nuc.html

Best Regards, 

Azeem_Intel 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not an expert, but I will attempt to lay out what you need to do. The SATA pins in the connector are isolated from the PCIe pins by a couple of reserved pins. Here is the fairly simple connect from the HS-CSC to a standard SATA (cable) connector:

HS-CSCSATA
31, 4

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos