Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Intel PCM - Starting MSR service failed with error 2

Debolay_Tayatiyika
Dear PCM Team,
I use PCM successfully on one computer with two Xeon E5645 CPUs running Windows XP. When I tried to run it on another system with Xeon E5504 CPU, I get the "Starting MSR service failed with error 2", which I believe is a file-not-found error for msr.sys. I have msr.sys in the same directory as pcm.exe the way I use it in my other system. So I don't know why the file could not found. I have administrator prevlideges when I run pcm.exe. Can you help me with this?
Note: I have tried using winring0.dll/winring0.sys as explained in the PCM zip as an alternative to msr.sys. This works except that the computer freezes/hangs after a few minutes. I use PCM in my program and show some measurements in a GUI.
Debolay
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Debolay,
for the MSR service the msr.sys also have to be copied into the Windows system32 directory (for example c:\windows\system32\ on my machine).
Thanks,
Roman
0 Kudos
Debolay_Tayatiyika
Roman,
I put msr.sys into the WINDOWS\system32 directory. I also have msr.sys in the location of pcm.exe. But I get the same error. Here is the output:
Intel® Performance Counter Monitor
 Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Intel Corporation
Starting MSR service failed with error 2
Trying to load winring0.dll/winring0.sys driver...
Failed to load winring0.dll/winring0.sys driver.
Cannot access CPU counters
You must have signed msr.sys driver in your current directory and have administrator rights to run this program
Num cores: 4
Num sockets: 1
Threads per core: 1
Core PMU (perfmon) version: 3
Number of core PMU generic (programmable) counters: 4
Width of generic (programmable) counters: 48 bits
Number of core PMU fixed counters: 3
Width of fixed counters: 48 bits
Access to Intel® Performance Counter Monitor has denied (no MSR or PCI CFG space access).
Debolay
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Debolay,
on E5504 which version of Windows XP do you have:
* 32 or 64 bit?
* Windows XP Professional x64 or just Windows XP Professional?
I know that Windows XP Professional x64 has in fact a Windows Server 2003 kernel and therefore recognizes drivers compiled in "Windows Server 2003 x64" DDK environment.
Thanks,
Roman
0 Kudos
Debolay_Tayatiyika
Roman,
I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3, 32-bit version. The CPU is Intel Xeon E5504. I compiled the msr driver in this machine itself.
Debolay
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
64-bit Windows starting from Win XP will not load drivers which are not signed.PatchGuard protection will kick in and prevent the driver' entry point routine from beign called by the I/O manager.One of the workarounds is trying to use this program called "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b". Hope it helps.
0 Kudos