Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

PCM on Windows 10 - PMEM device error

Chandra_V_
Beginner

Dear All, 

I have compiled the PCM for windows 10 on Visual Studio Community on 64bit - i7 -7th generation laptop. I am trying to measure  MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED_L3_MISS_EVTNR. So, i run the following command.

pcm-core  -e cpu/umask=0x20,event=0xD1.  Seems working but i getting error 

"Failed to seek in the pmem device". and   IPC value = -nan(ind). Please refer the attached screen shot. Can not solve this issue last 2 days :) // Am i missing anything? Any suggestion very helpful. Many thanks.

With regards, Chandra

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Zhuoran
Beginner

Hello Chandra,

Did you solve the problem? I am trying to use PCM now and I got the same error as yours. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

0 Kudos
HadiBrais
New Contributor III

The first error says "Starting MSR service failed with error 2," which I think it means that the MSR driver file msr.sys could not be found in the same directory as pcm-core.

0 Kudos
Zhuoran
Beginner

Hadi Brais wrote:

The first error says "Starting MSR service failed with error 2," which I think it means that the MSR driver file msr.sys could not be found in the same directory as pcm-core.

Yes, because he used the winring driver instead of msr.sys. I did that too. I switched another computer and rebuilt the same .sln. Now the message "failed to seek in pmem" has gone and everything looks fine. I don't understand the reason maybe they have different intel CPUs.

Unsuccessful: i7-7500U

Successful: i5-7440HQ

0 Kudos