Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.
1708 Discussions

Power Gadget os OSX: PowerGadgetLib.h:PG_IsPlatformEnergyAvailable documentation or behavior bug?

connorimes
Novice

CC @Patrick_K_Intel 

Good afternoon,

In the latest Power Gadget for OSX (3.7.0), the header PowerGadgetLib.h has function "PG_IsPlatformEnergyAvailable".  The header documentation states that the "available" bool pointer will be set based on availability and that the result (return bool value) will be True on success and False on failure.

On my 2016 Macbook Pro, it appears that "available" is correctly being set to false, but the function return value is also false.  Per the header documentation (and standard programming practices), this indicates a failure to determine availability, e.g., an internal error occurred and "available" could not be correctly set so the user shouldn't trust its value.

What is the correct/expected behavior here and for other PG_Is*EnergyAvailable functions?  Is my function call actually failing, or is this a bug in the header documentation and/or implementation?

Thanks,
-Connor

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

PG_IsPlatformEnergyAvailable is functioning as expected, as the macOS version has no capability to read if platform energy is available or not, so it always returns false. The other PG_Is*EnergyAvailable functions will return true assuming there is no error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Patrick_K_Intel
Employee

PG_IsPlatformEnergyAvailable is functioning as expected, as the macOS version has no capability to read if platform energy is available or not, so it always returns false. The other PG_Is*EnergyAvailable functions will return true assuming there is no error.

0 Kudos
connorimes
Novice

Thanks for the quick response, Patrick.

Does Power Gadget support the Platform zone on macOS at all? For example, I believe the 2019 Macbook Pro has Core i7-9750H or i9-9980HK "Coffee Lake" CPUs, which presumably support the Platform zone (unknown to me if Apple ever implemented support for it though).

On the topic of other energy functions - will there ever be support for the "uncore" power zone?

Cheers,
-Connor

0 Kudos