Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi everybody, I have a new system ( 64-bit WIndows 7 Professional / Intel i7-3840QM CPU / 4 cores ) and every time the system is booted there are 8 warning messages in the Event Log: The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. ... The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
28 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is an example of the warning message: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power Date: 21/11/2012 10:21:16 PM Event ID: 37 Task Category: (7) Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DellPM Description: The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report. Event Xml: [Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> [System] [Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" /] [EventID]37[/EventID] [Version]0[/Version] [Level]3[/Level] [Task]7[/Task] [Opcode]0[/Opcode] [Keywords]0x8000000000000000[/Keywords] [TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-22T05:21:16.637340700Z" /] [EventRecordID]4363[/EventRecordID] [Correlation /] [Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="84" /] [Channel]System[/Channel] [Computer]DellPM[/Computer] [Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /] [/System] [EventData] [Data Name="Group"]0[/Data] [Data Name="Number"]0[/Data] [Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds"]71[/Data] [Data Name="PpcChanges"]6[/Data] [Data Name="TpcChanges"]0[/Data] [Data Name="PccChanges"]0[/Data] [/EventData] [/Event]
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Could it be BIOS or EFI acpi induced issue? Please check with tasklist or with windbg what are those PID and Thread ID.I bet that these could be somehow related to Kernel Processor Power implementation. Try this :http://www.itexperience.net/2009/12/22/event-37-the-speed-of-processor-in-group-is-being-limited-by-system-firmware/
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>Could it be BIOS or EFI acpi induced issue? To some degree Yes. The problem is already resolved and it was related to Intel(R) SpeedStep Technology. As soon as I turned off it in the BIOS these warning messages are no longer displayed. Thank you for your feedback. PS: Two days of different issues with Windows 7 and... I really miss Windows 95... :D
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Two days of different issues with Windows 7 and... I really miss Windows 95... :D>>> How could have you forgotten another layer of bloat added by Win 8:) >>>The problem is already resolved and it was related to Intel(R) SpeedStep Technology>>> Probably lack of interoperatibility between software implementation of SpeedStep and MS kernel-processor-power.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...How could have you forgotten another layer of bloat added by Win 8... Honestly, I'm going to contact Dell Canada and I will ask if they could sell a 64-bit Windows XP Professional or some XP-like OS that supports up to 192GB of physical memory. It is still supported until 2014.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Honestly, I'm going to contact Dell Canada and I will ask if they could sell a 64-bit Windows XP Professional or some XP-like OS that supports up to 192GB of physical memory. It is still supported until 2014.>>> Tell you the truth my prefered MS OS are still Win XP Pro and Win Server 2003.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Win Server 2003... Does it support Microsoft's AWE ( Address Windowing Extensions ) Technology?
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Yes. Why do you need a few dozen of GB of memory. Could you post your new pc configuration?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Why do you need a few dozen of GB of memory. I need it because a processing of very large data sets needs to be done ( actually my nominal configuration has to be 32GB of memory ). >>Could you post your new pc configuration? I'll do it soon.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I need it because a processing of very large data sets needs to be done ( actually my nominal configuration has to be 32GB of memory ).>>> I would suggest vyou to invest in Xeon processors for large data processing. >>>I'll do it soon.>>> Thanks
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>I would suggest vyou to invest in Xeon processors for large data processing. That's too late and here are specs for the system: Dell Precision Mobile M4700 Intel Core i7-3840QM ( Ivy Bridge / 4 cores / 8 logical processors )( http://ark.intel.com/compare/70846 ) 16GB RAM 320GB HDD NVIDIA Quadro K1000M ( 192 CUDA cores / 2GB memory ) Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>...Win Server 2003... >> >>Does it support Microsoft's AWE ( Address Windowing Extensions ) Technology? >> >>Yes Did you try to use it?
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>DId you try to use it?>>> Sadly no.For now I'm using only my laptop(3 GB RAM) >>>Dell Precision Mobile M4700 Intel Core i7-3840QM ( Ivy Bridge / 4 cores / 8 logical processors )( http://ark.intel.com/compare/70846 ) 16GB RAM 320GB HDD NVIDIA Quadro K1000M ( 192 CUDA cores / 2GB memory ) Windows 7 Professional 64-bit>>> Will you try to learn CUDA programming?.For some image processing algorithms you can link CUDA to Mathematica 8 which has pre-loasded kernels.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Will you try to learn CUDA programming? Yes there are some plans and that is why NVIDIA Quadro K1000M card was selected. I hope that integration of some linear algebra algorithms with GPU will be useful and will improve performance. Did you try to compare performance of some calculations in Mathematica 8 without GPU and with GPU? For example, multiplication of two matrices with sizes greater then 1024x1024, or more.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>Did you try to use it? >> >>Sadly no.For now I'm using only my laptop(3 GB RAM) MSDN has a relatively simple example on how to use AWE. Would you be interested to try it if you have some time? I could create a Visual Studio 2005 project in order to help you and I'm interested to get some feedback and results.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>MSDN has a relatively simple example on how to use AWE. Would you be interested to try it if you have some time?>>> Yes I know , but I have only 3GB of RAM so I do not think that AWE will be helpful in my case, also AWE does work with physical non-paged memory. >>> Visual Studio 2005 project in order to help you and I'm interested to get some feedback and results.>>> Thank you I will participate in your experiment,but as I stated earlier in my post I do not think that it will be helpful.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>Did you try to compare performance of some calculations in Mathematica 8 without GPU and with GPU? For example, multiplication of two matrices with sizes greater then 1024x1024, or more.>>> Sadly no as I told earlier i have only Core i3 laptop which has on-die graphics card ,so I'm not able to use CUDA. Mathematica 8 implements and encapsulates(wraps) some of the algorithms written in C modified for CUDA, so you cannot do everything you want with Mathematica 8.You will need to code it specificaly for CUDA. While working in Mathematica 8 CUDA kernels you are given a handful of image processing , linear algebra and Fourier transform algorithmic implementations. Here is the full list of supported functions :http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/CUDALink/guide/CUDALink.html >>>For example, multiplication of two matrices with sizes greater then 1024x1024, or more.>>> It could have been very interesting to perform such a test and I suppose that optimized by Mathematica 8 scientists linear algebra algorithms will be able to use perfectly CUDA resources.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya, >>Yes I know , but I have only 3GB of RAM so I do not think that AWE will be helpful in my case... I simply wanted to test allocation of some amount of memory greater than 2GB, for example 2.25GB, for a 32-bit application and nothing else. I'm not speaking about some instant applications of AWE technology in your or in my cases. Did you try to use /3GB switch in the Boot.ini file? . http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487508.aspx
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...as I told earlier i have only Core i3 laptop which has on-die graphics card ,so I'm not able to use CUDA... I see, Iliya. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
>>>I simply wanted to test allocation of some amount of memory greater than 2GB, for example 2.25GB, for a 32-bit application and nothing else. I'm not speaking about some instant applications of AWE technology in your or in my cases.>>> Now I got it properly, I'm ready for your test:)
0 Kudos