Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

5ghz wifi not working - connected but no internet access AC 9462

sameer710
Beginner

My 5ghz wireless wifi adapter seems to not work properly ever since I installed my new cpu. The issue is that it either does not work at all, saying connected but no internet access, or it works and cuts out after a few minutes. What's really odd to me is that when I switch my WiFi back to 2.4ghz it works fine all be it slow, and when I switch it back to 5ghz it works for a few seconds before not working anymore??? Also issue persists even after reinstalling drivers. I'm really lost here and wondering if I should just trash this thing cause I'm at my wits end here.

The mobo I have is a MSI MPG Z390 gaming edge ac

Currently on Windows 10

My cpu is an i9 9900k

it says the adapter is a AC 9462

---I have tried switching the bands that the adapter takes to only 5ghz which either works for a couple minutes or doesn't

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sameer710,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the situation, we would like you to try if you haven’t of course a clean installation of the latest driver coming from MSI and if the issue persists please try to complete a clean installation of the latest Wireless driver we have

Instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Latest MSI driver

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390-gaming-edge-ac

Note: To find the driver please follow this path: Support > Driver > Win10 64 > LAN Drivers > Intel WIFI Driver Version 22.20.0.6.

Latest generic driver version 22.30.0

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30208/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

Important notes:

• Make sure that after you are using the recommended settings for the 802.11ac Connectivity
  • Make sure your Access Point (AP) or Wi-Fi router supports the 5 GHz frequency band and configured for 11ac mode.
  • If you aren't sure if the AP is configured for 11ac, contact your AP manufacturer.
  • After you download the drivers please disconnect from the internet to make sure that a driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sameer710,

To better assist you, please provide the following report and information so we can move forward with your request.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

1. Are you having issues only with WIFI or with Bluetooth as well?
  2. Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  3. Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?
  4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?
  5. Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  6. Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before using both bands?
  7. Have you installed any recent software or hardware(besides the new processor) before the issue started?
  8. Have tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  9. Were you able to try both the drivers from MSI and also from our website?
  10. Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?
  11. Please provide the exact model of access-point, router, modem that you are currently using.
  12. Does your access-point, router, modem has the latest firmware update?
  13. Would you mind providing me a picture or a video of the way the adapter is connected to your motherboard? 

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
sameer710
Beginner

Hey thanks for replying,

1. I don't use bluetooth on my pc, my wifi works fine if I'm on my 2.4ghz wifi, but when I switch over to 5ghz theres problems. And it isn't a range issue either since my router is less than 20 feet away from my desktop.

2. The issue just started happening when I installed my new CPU, I can't recall if a windows update had any effect.

3. At home

4. It came pre installed on my motherboard which is a msi gaming edge ac z390

5. I haven't had a chance to try other networks.

6. Before installing my new processor, yes it was working fine.

7. Msi dragon force software which is like a driver updater with some extra stuff. I uninstalled it awhile ago thinking it may have affected my wifi.

8. I haven't tried rolling back, but I've reinstalled the driver 3 times to the 22.20 version for the adapter. 

9. I've tried both, most recently I've tried intels which has fixed my issue for a brief amount of time before it seems like it gives up on me, as I type this my computer is struggling to even load any pages. All other devices in my house work completely fine on the same 5ghz wifi.

10. I have rebooted it, I've made my computer forget the network and rebooted the router again during that aswell.

11. I believe I'm using a Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100, I'm connected to it wirelessly

12. I believe so

13. I attached a picture of the product from MSI's website

I also attached an internet test that somehow managed to go through while on my 5ghz wifi. On the SSU test you had me do, it says my wifi is at 99%strength at 325mbps, but in that Ookla test it clearly isn't. If you see the graph on the test, the mbps stayed at a static speed for most of the time. Another side note is when the 5ghz wifi gives up on me while I'm in Discord, I can still hear my friends talk even though I have no internet connection apparently.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sameer710,

Based on the situation, we would like you to try if you haven’t of course a clean installation of the latest driver coming from MSI and if the issue persists please try to complete a clean installation of the latest Wireless driver we have

Instructions:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Latest MSI driver

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/mpg-z390-gaming-edge-ac

Note: To find the driver please follow this path: Support > Driver > Win10 64 > LAN Drivers > Intel WIFI Driver Version 22.20.0.6.

Latest generic driver version 22.30.0

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30208/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

Important notes:

• Make sure that after you are using the recommended settings for the 802.11ac Connectivity
  • Make sure your Access Point (AP) or Wi-Fi router supports the 5 GHz frequency band and configured for 11ac mode.
  • If you aren't sure if the AP is configured for 11ac, contact your AP manufacturer.
  • After you download the drivers please disconnect from the internet to make sure that a driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

Regards,

Victor G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
sameer710
Beginner

Thanks for the quick replies, 

I installed the second link you sent with the intel 22.30 driver and it has been working for 2 days straight!!! Thanks for the help!!! I originally used the MSI's support website and I guess that older driver is just wonky. 

Once again I appreciate the help so much

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sameer710,

We are glad to know that our recommendations were helpful. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.

If you need any additional information, you are more than welcome to submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos