Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

7265 adapter PMKSA authentication storm when WPA2 Enterprise profile is pushed by GPO (More than 500 PCs deployed with other adapters without any issue)

JRubi2
Beginner

We have a big issue with Intel Dual Band Wireless+BT 7265 driver,

When used WPA2-Enterprise profiles pushed by Windows GPO, the wifi card authenticates every second using PMKSA. It is a authentication storm that we see in our wifi APs.

This does not happen with Intel 7260 (tested in 400 PCs, different HP models) or when the profile is manually created (not pushed from a AD GPO).

This issue happens with all the PCs using 7265 card, only with it. Right now, we have this card in all the last delivered HP Elitebook 840G2.

We've tried HP original drivers (HP connection Manager), the Intel last drivers with and without PROset (removing previously HP Connection Manager), and some old Intel drivers too, always with the same result.

We know the "every second" authentication happens because we have monitored the WIFI netwok with a "monitor" mode card. The starting outgoing packets are always originated by the 7265 driver. Also, we see the authentication in the wifi APs (enterprise Netgear APs), because we have syslog, and the any Intel 7265 card that connects, starts sending the 4 way handshake for PMKSA (PEAP 25) wifi L2 proto.

So it seems a bug in driver.

Just to assure the problem/bug is not in Windows Group Policies, we created it from a non-GPO exported profile (a manual one), imported into GPO, updated to clients, and compared a re-export with the previous on, and they are exactly identical. This demonstrates there is a bug in Intel drivers

None other card, Intel or other brands, have this behaviour (we have 500 PCs deployed in this customer)

Please, help with this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

jmrubio71,

Thank you for the information. We are going to check on this and get back to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please check your private messages.

0 Kudos
SEcke
Beginner

We just got hit with this same issue. We have a bunch of Dell E5450's with Intel 7265 AC WiFi cards. I tried all of Dell's driver version in Win 7, 8.1, and 10, plus all the Intel drivers. Is there an updated driver package yet?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Enetics,

Could yoube so kind and provide us the details about your issue?

0 Kudos
SEcke
Beginner

We're not able to get any wireshark info because the connection can't even begin WPA2 Enterprise association. My guess it's a driver issue, like an Intel wireless DLL responsible for WPA2 enterprise encryption libraries is not working/accessible (as admin or regular user). If I had the ability to debug like strace I could provide better into, but Windows has no ability AFAIK.

0 Kudos
SJaan
Beginner

Have You tried drivers bundled in Windows 10 - 17.15.0.5 ?

This 18.x.x.x version of drivers is one big bug IMHO.

0 Kudos