Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AC 3160 Disconnecting after Windows 10 Update

KMala2
Beginner

I recently updated to Windows 10 and I began losing internet connection during high bandwidth activities such as online gaming. Resetting the adapter fixes the issue temporarily. My Lenovo laptop is the only device on my network with this problem. I have updated my driver, but the issue persists. Any advice?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Kytromal,

Connectivity issues can be caused by different reasons, please review the following actions to address the most common causes:

- Is this the original adapter that came with your computer? Using a wireless adapter that is not supported in your PC may cause unexpected behavior.

- Apply the configuration mentioned in the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

- Disable the Bluetooth adapter in your PC and check if this helps with the connection. It might be done with a switch in the chassis of the PC, or with a keyboard combination. It can be also be done in the OS configuration.

- You may also try disabling services that may be consuming system resources. As was mentioned by another user with a similar issue:

KMala2
Beginner

Hi Jon,

Sorry for such a delayed response.

Yes, it is the original adapter.

My settings are configured as recommended.

I have disabled the Bluetooth adapter.

Unfortunately, my problem is ongoing and has been getting worse since I originally posted the issue. Disconnects are happening more frequently and during somewhat less bandwidth intensive activities such as watching videos or loading larger images.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hi Kytromal,

I am going to share with you something that worked for me. Please understand that it may not work for you and caution is recommended. If necessary, contact Microsoft* if you need more detailed information on this feature before you proceed.

When I upgraded my OS to Windows 10*, I also noticed a similar issue, I has less bandwidth than when I had Windows 8.1*. I found out that Windows 10* has a feature called Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO) that could be the cause of my bandwidth degradation and what I have found out about this feature is that it was initially designed to help users get faster software updates which is quite a good idea to handle massive internet traffic of up to 40 TBps.

I can not guarantee it, but it seems like WUDO works a lot like torrents work. Your computer running Windows 10* is used as part of a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster and in this way helping everyone to download updates quickly. Long story short, it seems like this peer-to-peer sharing method offered by Windows 10* was using my precious internet bandwidth without hinting me about it because this feature is enabled by default. Here is how you disable it.

0 Kudos
KMala2
Beginner

Thank you for your advice, but this has not resolved the problem.

Just to clarify, when I am connected, my internet speed and everything is totally fine. However, I will get a sudden disconnect every hour or so that is resolved if I reset my adapter.

0 Kudos
GHous1
Beginner
0 Kudos