Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

AC-7260 Resetting randomly

GregFromCos
Beginner

I have an older Asus Q551LN laptop and have had issues with the wireless resetting randomly for some time. Finally did some troubleshooting on it and am seeing this error in the event viewer when it happens.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-NDIS
Date: 2/17/2022 2:22:29 PM
Event ID: 10400
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-F1PC95K
Description:
The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-NDIS" Guid="{cdead503-17f5-4a3e-b7ae-df8cc2902eb9}" />
<EventID>10400</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-02-17T21:22:29.0501542Z" />
<EventRecordID>25444</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{fe7ae42a-43ab-4f78-a0f7-f6e3b6ee3c9c}" />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="2196" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-F1PC95K</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="IfGuid">{fe7ae42a-43ab-4f78-a0f7-f6e3b6ee3c9c}</Data>
<Data Name="IfIndex">19</Data>
<Data Name="IfLuid">19985273102270464</Data>
<Data Name="AdapterName">Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260</Data>
<Data Name="ResetReason">3</Data>
<Data Name="ResetCount">2</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Looking through older support items, it looks like I should download the newest version of this WiFi-22.110.1-Driver64-Win10-Win11.zip. I've followed the other details about removing old versions. However when I follow the instructions, it is not finding the 7260 in there. Is there a specific version I should be using instead? 

One thing I have done is removed the old windows update version 
Intel - net - 4/29/2019 18.33.17.1. So not sure if that will fix the issue maybe, but vaguelly remember having issues with this version. It's now using this version from 2015. 17.15.0.5

Any helps would be appreciated. This is the only issue I'm having with this laptop.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello @ GregFromCos

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

I would like to confirm some information regarding your issue to have a better comprehension about it, please answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned that the wireless Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is not found, is it on the device manager?
  • When did it start to happen?
  • Are you having issues with Wifi or Bluetooth or both?
  • What Operating System version are you using?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Did you install driver 22.110.1?
  • Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

1- I never used the words "not found", so not sure what you are referring to. It does appear in the device manager.

2- I have struggled with the network connection for several years off and on. Currently, this has been happening since I last reloaded windows on that laptop 6 months ago.

3 - I do have some odd issues on bluetooth also, where it will drop the external speaker randomly. But I've never been able to reproduce the bluetooth issue. But it does not seem tied to when the wireless drops. Seems to happen at different times.

4- Running Windows 10 64 bit, latest version that is not preview.

5 - I do not remember, but think it's been happening since the new install. The above error shows only 2 because I had uninstalled the driver and let it refind the device, and it was the 2nd time since then.

6 - I was not able to install 22.110.1. It gave me an error than the best driver was already installed, and when i tried to do it manually i could not find the 7260 in the list of devices.

7 - It is the original adapter.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thanks for your response, the information you provide me has been useful.

Regarding the driver installation error and the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 not being found on the product list, is due to the wireless card being discontinued, and is no plan to work on further driver updates. The latest driver published for this wireless adapter is version 21.10.1, for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This information can be found in the Article The Intel® Wireless 7260 Family and Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 are Discontinued (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030330/wireless/intel-wireless-ac-products.html).

The article mentioned above includes information about where you should refer to get the last version for your wireless adapter, it refers you to the article Customer Support Options for Discontinued Intel® Wireless Products (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006507/wireless.html), there is a table which is contained the hyperlinks for the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers. The best option here is to perform a Clean installation for the drivers and check if your issues are now solved.

Hope you find this information useful.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

I installed the versions there and it went back to 18.33.17.1, which is the version before that was giving me the errors, but will leave it for the time being to see if I get any further errors.

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

It's already doing the same thing again and resetting randomly. I've uninstalled that and rolled back to 17.15.0.5

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thanks for your response.

In order to provide you with the most efficient troubleshooting for your issue, please create a report using the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @GregFromCos

I hope you are doing well.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

I'd been running the older version  17.15.0.5 with no issues. But I reinstalled the newest version 18.33.17.1 and will take the scan as soon as it resets again.

Thanks for following up.

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

Already happened. Did the scan, but this site seems to be down?

https://servicerequestmgmt.intel.com/webticketui/

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Is there another site I can submit the info to?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

As I understand, you are hitting the submit option. There is no need to click on that option, you only need to hit save, and it will create a .txt file that you can upload and share on this thread.

In case my assumption is incorrect, let me know.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

Here it is. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

And here is the detailed version of the file.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Jean_Intel

Thanks for waiting for a response.

Regarding your issue, please provide me with the following information:

Can you please confirm if the issue has been happening since you acquired the laptop?

Have you tried different networks? is this the only device having this issue?

When you have disconnections issues is there any error code in the device manager?

You can also try to Restart the WLAN service: 

Press Windows Key + R and enter “services.msc” followed by the ENTER key. 

Find “WLAN AutoConfig” in the list of service, right-click it and select Properties. 

Press Start & change the startup type as "Automatic". 

Restart the computer

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

I don't believe it's been happening since I bought the laptop. I've had it for 5+ years. Really only been noticing in the last year or so.

I have tried it on different networks. It did have issues on the old network, but I did not dig into it as closely in the event viewer. So not sure if it was the same issue. I vaguely remember the older driver having issues on the old network. But it's been awhile now, so it's just guesses other than knowing it did have occasional issues.

As far as seeing errors in the device manager. I'm not sure where to look exactly there. But when I look around every reset in the event viewer. I see this string of events pretty consistently.

The description for Event ID 5007 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 5010 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 5032 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 5005 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 5035 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 5032 from source NETwNb64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I've attached a dump of these errors to this. But if there is some specific error you are looking for, let me know where to look.

I also checked on WLAN Autoconfig and it was already set to start up Automatic.
Also I've not seen any issues on the rest of the network.

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

Also, I've rolled back after that last error batch to  17.15.0.5. That older version does not seem to have the same problems. It had restarted 4x this afternoon on the newer driver.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thanks for all the information provided, it has been completely useful.

Regarding your issue, I would like to confirm more information about the environment of the issue.

• Have you tried different brands and channels width? (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz) If using the 5 GHz band, try using channels 36, 40, 44, or 48.
  • What is the make and model of your router/modem? does it has the latest firmware installed?
  • Are you using any USB third-party device?

Please confirm if there is an error message on the device manager, to confirm it just enter the device manager menu and look if there is a yellow interrogation mark, if so, it will contain an error code. To enter the device manager follow the steps listed here:

1. Press Windows + X

2. click on the device manager

3. Look and expand the network adapters

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

1) I have tried different channels on my device. It is set up to Auto pick them and I notice it often switches them after a restart.

2) Modem is a Zyxel 3000z through Centurylink.

3) The only USB device I'm using is a Startech USB3DDOCKFT station, although currently I only have one laptop hooked up to it. It does have a logitech wired keyboard and Kensington Expert Mouse hooked into it.

I have not noticed an error in device manager when it happens, and when I've gone in a few seconds after it's finished there is none and the Network adapters is not expanded like it normally is when there is an error.

Now been running on the older driver for an hour and still no warnings/errors in the event viewer with that version and been working fine without resetting.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @GregFromCos

Regarding your issue my recommendations are the following:

Hope you find this information useful.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
GregFromCos
Beginner

The old driver version 17.15.0.5 has been working fine for a day. Just checked the event viewer and no errors from it, and have not had any dropped connections. Planning to stick with the older driver until it has issues.

Just so strange that the newer driver has so many problems.

0 Kudos