Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7871 Discussions

AC-7265 update to 22.200.2 Driver says Successful, but Device Manager still shows old 19.51.42.2

Rickles
Beginner

The title says it all.

ThinkPad T450S

AC-7265

Dr. 19.51.42.2

I'm updating my router to Asus RT-AX3000 from an Asus WiFi 5 and the instructions say to update the driver to at least v. 20.70.0

I downloaded/installed the new driver, 22.200.2, and several times it says the installation completed successfully. I stopped at this point rather than installing the new router only to have issues. Any ideas on why Device Manager, Windows 10 by the way, doesn't correspond?

I upgraded from the factory installed Windows 7, so I don't have any installation disks.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rickles
Beginner

I downloaded v. 20.70.xx from another site and tried installing it with Administration privileges; it said a newer version was already installed. Apparently, the v. 22.200.2 was there, but just didn't show up in Device Manager. I installed the new Asus router without trouble. I did have to call their Tech Support and found, at her suggestion, that Firefox (my preferred Browser) was the issue for why I couldn't reach their Dashboard page. She suggested trying the Google Browser, and that worked fine. All is good.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Note the following:

• The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Rev. C card has already been discontinued. The last version of the driver package that hosted a driver for this card was 21.10.1. This package provided Windows 10 driver version 18.33.17.1 for this card. Note that, because this card is discontinued, Intel is no longer hosting this driver package on their servers. But, I have a copy of this driver package squirrelled away in my archive and can provide it to you if you need it (I don't think you do, however).
  • The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Rev. D card is still an active product (but note: I am guessing not for long). The latest driver package that hosts a driver for this card is indeed 22.200.2. As you have seen, this package provides Windows 10 driver version 19.51.42.2.

The Asus router is pointing you at driver version 22.70.0 (or better) because it is assuming that you need support for a card supporting WiFi 6 and Wireless-AX (i.e. an Intel AX200/AX201 or better). Since you have a card that only supports WiFi 5 and Wireless-AC, this requirement really doesn't apply -- but this does mean that you need to ensure that the router is not configured for Wireless-AX exclusively.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Rickles
Beginner

Thanks, that's good to know. I will assume that the router is not configured for AX exclusively because it's working fine with my laptop. I went for the upgrade because I have six wireless devices in use (nothing as strenuous as gaming, just iPhone, Sony smart TV, Roku, Echo Plus, laptop, occasional wireless printing), but never all at the same time.

Since this only applies to my AC-7625, can I gather that the AX router is still beneficial in allocating over the AC?

Thank you, again.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, if nothing else, you are somewhat future-proofed by upgrading to this router (though WiFi 6e is here and WiFi 7 is just around the corner) 

Is it connecting with this current driver?

...S

0 Kudos
Rickles
Beginner

Yes, it's working fine.

0 Kudos