Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC8265 no internet access with 5GHz

Edton
Beginner

Device Manager > Intel Dual Band Wireless AC8265 > Advanced > 802.11a/b/g wireless mode

Case (i) Value = 5GHz OR Dual band 802.11a/g, the wifi is connected, secured but no internet access

Case (ii) Value = 2.4GHz 802.11b/g, the wifi is connected and can access internet

My router is Netgear Orbi with single SSID to provide both 5G and 2.4G, other devices (iPhone, iPad) connect to the same SSID and all can connect to 5G with internet access.

Question: How to solve the problem in Case(i) which AC8265 cannot access internet with 5GHz [but 2.4GHz is perfectly fine per Case(ii)]

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Edton,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Communtiy.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below details:

• Is the wireless card an integration you made to your system?
  • Are you able to test a different Acess Point/SSID? (for testing, let us know the outcome)
  • Were you able at some point to use the 5GHz network or it never worked?

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Edton
Beginner
  • Is the wireless card an integration you made to your system?

>> Yes

• Are you able to test a different Acess Point/SSID? (for testing, let us know the outcome)

>> Before I change the router to Orbi, I used Netgear R7800 which offer 2 SSID (5G and 2.4G), I can access to internet via both SSID. Changed to Orbi, it only offer one SSID with 5G and 2.4 G inclusive, then the problem in case(ii) happened

• Were you able at some point to use the 5GHz network or it never worked?

>> Yes, 5G work well in all devices such as iPhone, iPad etc.

I attached the Intel System Support Utility for Windows testing result

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Interesting result; suspiciously similar to mine.

My downstairs router is a tp-link AX1500. When I set it up with separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, it will connect but have no internet access. When I combined the two bands under a single SSID (tp-link calls this feature Smart Connect), it connects and works fine (supports Wireless-AX for AX200/AX201 and Wireless-AC/Wireless-N for older Intel wireless solutions).

My upstairs router is a D-Link DIR-865L, which only supports separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. All solutions connect just fine using Wireless-AC.

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Edton,

Thank you for your response.

As our community peer commented, it is curious how it stopped working after the router change, so we highly recommend you to check with the router/AP manufacturer about the settings or configuration you should be using.

Also, to continue checking on this we will need the txt file of the SSU, can you please attach the results in txt format?

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Edton,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Edton
Beginner

I attach the "summary" for your reference. 

Appreciate you can hint the solution, thanks.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Edton,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please try the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity and let us know the outcome. Check the following link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless.html. Let us know the outcome.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the specific model of your new router.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Edton
Beginner

We come back to my initial question:

Advanced > Property > 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode or Wireless Mode > Value (refer attachment)

if choose option 5. Dual-band 802.11a/g OR 6. 802.11a/b/g, I cannot access to internet 

only chosse option 4. 2.4GHz 802.11b/g OR other 2.4GHz options, I can access to internet

My router is: Netgear ORBI RBK50 AC3000 Tri-band

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Edton,

Thank you so much for your response.

At this point, and after checking the similar behavior that our peer n_scott_pearson reports, there may be some possible configuration/settings to change and allow network activity in both bands.

For this, I would like to know the following:

Have made any changes in your new router?. As previouly stated, before making any changes in the settings of your router please verify with your router OEM for guidance.

Are you using the default router configuration?

Additionally, I would strongly recommend that resolution provided by the community, creating a single SSID and then check results.

Then from the wireless adapter you can select the desired band to connect.

Have you tried the workaround from n_scott_pearson yet?

Please let me know how it goes.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Edton
Beginner

New router (Netgear Orbi) set up was by default setting via [Quick Setup] option.

I have been using single SSID since new router (Orbi) set up; in previous router (Netgear R7800) there were 2 SSID  to serve 5G and 2.4G respectively, my PC could access to internet via either SSID.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Edton,

Thank you so much for your response.

Based on the behavior and the troubleshooting steps performed so far, I consider that at this point it looks like we need to take into consideration some other factors related to the integration of your wireless adapter.

As you may know, Performing wireless integrations is subject to country-specific legal regulations. For that reason, before installing or changing the Intel® Wireless Adapter, Intel recommends that you contact the system manufacturer to obtain approval, step-by-step instructions, or support. It is worth mentioning that the integration may or may not work due to the following reasons: 

1. Hardware/software compatibility issues or dependencies. 

2. Manufacturer limitations. 

3. Driver limitations. 

I would like to share with you the Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade in case you are interested.

Additionally, as this occurred after replacing the router we would strongly recommend that you report this behavior to your new router manufacturer.

If you already did, please provide more details about their recommendations.

I hope this helps.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Edton,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos