Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX200 5Ghz only works with 20Mhz channel width

NPetr14
Novice

I replaced the factory wireless card with an Intel AX200 (https://www.newegg.com/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200/p/N82E16833106102?Item=N82E16833106102) in order to get the most of my new WiFi 6 setup. However, it was unable to connect to the 5GHz network until I manually set the bandwidth to 20MHz. When set to auto, the device can see the 5GHz network but doesn't get an IP address when trying to connect to it.

I'm running an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790, Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18363 Build 18363), and the driver version is Intel 21.90.3.2. The router is an Asus RT-AX3000. I have verified that the 160MHz option is enabled in the router settings. The symptoms appear similar to this post but there doesn't seem to be a resolution: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004eLF7m/ax200-5ghz-works-only-with-20mhz-channel-width?language=en_US

Any help to get this device up to the 160MHz bandwidth would be appreciated!

1 Solution
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello NPetr14,

Thank you for your response.

If both the computer and the router/AP are using 802.11ax, then our recommendation is that you perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Steps: Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver:

• Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 --21.90.2
  • Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version --21.90.3

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

If the issue persists, please verify the following Integration Guide, and check the health of the components (e.g. antennas, RF cables).

It is important to note that a motherboard with an M.2 Socket with Key E 2230, or M.2 for Wi-Fi, is required.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello NPetr14,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to gather more information about your system configuration:

• Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • Were you able to have you wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?
  • Are other devices showing this behavior?
  • Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?
  • Please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report directly to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU takes you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on "Summary" to change to a "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
NPetr14
Novice

HI Wanner,

I confirmed the same behavior with this card and a 5GHz AC network (an Asus RT-ACRH13) but I don't have an AX network to test with.

I had a similar issue with the factory's installed card, it wouldn't behave properly with a 5GHz network, but I had attributed that to poor signal strength; I've since moved the router right next to the computer to eliminate that possibility but don't have the old card to verify.

I don't have any other devices showing this behavior. All of my Google home devices connect quickly to the 5GHz network and my Motorola phone hasn't had any issues.

I've rebooted the router and made sure the firmware is the latest available.

I've also attached the SSU dump.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello NPetr14,

Thank you for your response.

If both the computer and the router/AP are using 802.11ax, then our recommendation is that you perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers: Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Steps: Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver:

• Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 --21.90.2
  • Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version --21.90.3

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

If the issue persists, please verify the following Integration Guide, and check the health of the components (e.g. antennas, RF cables).

It is important to note that a motherboard with an M.2 Socket with Key E 2230, or M.2 for Wi-Fi, is required.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
NPetr14
Novice

That certainly seemed to help. After restarting the PC I also did:

netsh winsock reset

Just to make sure everything was cleaned out. I can connect to the network now and seem to be getting reasonable performance.

0 Kudos
Dosc
Beginner

I'm sorry, but this solution didn't help me and I can still use only 20Mhz bandwidth in 5 Ghz mode with ax200.

Driver version 22.110.1.1. on windows 10 21H2. Router zyxel ax7501-b0. Any other help?

Would it be possible to investigate and fix this?

Thanks!

Dosc

0 Kudos
JDKAP
Novice

Thank you

"However, it was unable to connect to the 5GHz network until I manually set the bandwidth to 20MHz. When set to auto, the device can see the 5GHz network but doesn't get an IP address when trying to connect to it."

==> Same issue with a AX201

0 Kudos