Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

AX200 - bluetooth disconnection with multiple game controllers

claudspeed
New Contributor I

I have a Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H (from 2021), with Intel Wifi-6 AX200 160MHz card with integrated bluetooth, driver: 22.190.0.4 (from 23/11/2022), OS: Windows 11.

Using an external bluetooth dongle I can connect any number of bluetooth controllers (joypads) of different or same manufacturer.

If I use the intel bluetooth AX200 card integrated in the Legion 5 pro I'm only able to connect one controller. If I connect another the first one disconnects.

No problem on other laptops I've tried with the same controllers.

Other users have complained about this here, but you ignored them.

This IS clearly a driver bug. I am a software engineer, btw.

Can you escalate and try to have this fixed asap, please?

139 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello claudspeed, 

Thanks for letting me know the outcome from the manufacturer. Allow me to check this issue internally to confirm what would be our next step.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello claudspeed, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the investigation, I would like you to try the following:

1. Reset and delete all the existing Controllers.

2. Pair them again manually.

3. Update the PS5 Controller Software by connecting them to a PS5 directly.

4. Update the BIOS if pending updates and reboot.

5. If the issue persists, I recommend you to reinstall the operating system.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hi Deivid A.,

1. Reset and delete all the existing Controllers.

I tried this already, did It again for you. It didn't work.

2. Pair them again manually.

I tried this already, did It again for you. It didn't work.

3. Update the PS5 Controller Software by connecting them to a PS5 directly.

I have the latest firmware, see screenshot:

Screenshot 2023-03-21 200627.png

4. Update the BIOS if pending updates and reboot.

I have the latest Lenovo Bios: GKCN59WW updated last week through Lenovo Vantage. 

5. If the issue persists, I recommend you to reinstall the operating system.

I did a clean install of Windows 11 x64 last week, the issue persists. Bluetooth driver 21.0.0.4 works, any of the above versions don't.

Everything seems to suggest that the driver has a bug introduced after 21.0.0.4, that makes the Dual Sense use Its MAX polling rate (1000 Hz) while other controllers are connected, causing their connection to drop or be very unstable and then drop after 2 minutes.

In fact in 21.0.0.4:

- Dual Sense connected alone: shows 1 ms latency in DS4Windows

- Dual Sense + Dualshock 3 connected at the same time, I see from DS4windows that the Dualsense has a latency of 4 ms, while the Dualshock 3 has 15 ms, suggesting that the Dual Sense has dropped the polling rate to 250 Hz, to allow more bluetooth bandwidth to be used for the second controller.

On the newer drivers:

- Dual Sense connected alone: shows 1 ms latency in DS4Windows

- Dual Sense + Dualshock 3 connected together, Dual Sense has 1 ms (which would be 1000 Hz polling rate) and the Dualshock 3 has a very variable latency ranging from 25 ms to 35 ms and disconnects completely after a couple minutes. 

I tried connecting the Dualshock 3 and the Nintendo Switch Pro controllers together, both have a very low polling rate, and the connection seems to be working fine and be pretty stable. The moment I connect the Dual Sense, the other two disconnect.

I hope this is helpful and you give this information to your colleagues.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
Dealing for two years with Intel AX cards. OEM, built in, third party. All have the same problem reported here.

ESCALATE.
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello claudspeed, 

I am sorry to know that the issue is still present. I will check this issue internally and review how we can help you with this issue.

I will post back as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hi Deivid A.,

thanks for your help, but please try to be more useful. I've been troubleshooting this with you for almost a month, nothing of what you suggested helped. It's clearly a driver issue as me and other users have told you countless times. It has nothing to do with my software configuration or my hardware. Please consider the feedback from @will6  and @Efren as well, which have different configurations, different cards (still AX cards) and have the same exact issue with your bluetooth driver.

We can arrange a skype call to troubleshoot this together with your colleagues If you want, but I don't have infinite time and I don't work for Intel.

No more generic troubleshooting please, It's pointless.

0 Kudos
Efren
New Contributor I

Hello @claudspeed 

I have a PC with a PCI Intel Wi-fi 6E AX210 160MHz (driver 22.200.0.6) with integrated Bluetooth (driver 22.200.0.2) and I have the exactly same problem than you. The problem is not about laptops, the problem is about intel card or intel driver.

What is the model of your bluetooth dongle? Do you have a good low latency?

I want to give up Intel.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

You mean my usb dongle? I have a very generic chinese dongle with the label "CSR V4.0" on It, It has the csr8510a10 chipset. I paid It like 5 euros and It works fine unlike Intel's bluetooth card.

Dualsense alone: 1ms

Dualsense + Switch Pro => Dualsense: 2ms, Switch Pro: 10ms

Range is not the best though, like most usb dongles, but It works fine 3 meters away when plugged in a usb on the side of the laptop.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Just avoid the cheap no brand 1 dollar dongles. They will be on par with Intel one. Some are even better, but no way to tell.

Just get a tplink UB400 or UB500.

With UB500 and two dualsense, ds4w report around 2 to 3ms of latency for each controller with both connected.

The only problem of usb dongles is connecting them on the ports on the back of the PC. This will limit their range severely.

0 Kudos
Efren
New Contributor I

Thanks, @will6 

3ms is a good latency for two dualsenses!

I asked for the dongle model because I got an Ugree bluetooth 5.3 that give me the unbelievable 30ms of latency for one dualsense. I do not recommend Ugreen dongles for anyone.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello claudspeed, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, the last recommendation would be to roll back to the previous working version from the laptop manufacturer until the upcoming driver release. However, we do not have a date for the new release.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hi Deivid,

thanks, I'm relieved to know that this will be fixed in the upcoming release. The latest driver 22.210.0.3 (08/02/2023), still has the issue, I home to see this issue fixed in the version after that.

I will roll back to 21.0.0.4 for now.

Thanks for your support,

have a great day.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
The 3 years old working driver is only compatible with ax200.

If you got any card newer than that (ax201, 210, 411, etc), the solution is to buy a better brand adapter.

Nice.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
If that ever happen, remember to report back here. Since many users had disabled this faulty card and won't check for new drivers.

BTW, drivers here https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/intel-700-600-series/drivers-intel-ethernet-wifi-bluetooth/m-p/878985 are updated sooner than Intel site if you want to try newer ones.
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Thanks for the link, I will report back here for sure, fingers crossed

will6
New Contributor III

A new driver was releases this week.

But don't think it will solve anything.

22.210.0.x

0 Kudos
Efren
New Contributor I

@will6 

You are right. I just installed the new driver and tested it with 2 dualsenses. Same problem: keeps disconnecting...

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

What new driver has been released this week? I'm still seeing 3/24/2023 as the latest release date on Intel's website

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
Yes, was talking about that driver that was released some days ago.

Didn't see any report about that. But seems didn't fixed anything.
Also there is a release notes with the fixes on every release.

BTW that driver was released many weeks ago on the Asus forum.
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
New driver was released today on Asus forum in the link posted earlier

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
Tried the new driver. I was not using Intel BT for a few months.

It's just terrible. How can they even sell this trash?

I couldn't connect a dualsense and a BT headset for their BW limitations. Headset keep disconnecting.

Even my Wiimote doesn't have speaker audio with this trash (never seen this on any other BT, including BT 2.0 from 10 years ago)

Disabled again this faulty mess.