Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7578 Discussions

AX200 - bluetooth disconnection with multiple game controllers

claudspeed
New Contributor I

I have a Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H (from 2021), with Intel Wifi-6 AX200 160MHz card with integrated bluetooth, driver: 22.190.0.4 (from 23/11/2022), OS: Windows 11.

Using an external bluetooth dongle I can connect any number of bluetooth controllers (joypads) of different or same manufacturer.

If I use the intel bluetooth AX200 card integrated in the Legion 5 pro I'm only able to connect one controller. If I connect another the first one disconnects.

No problem on other laptops I've tried with the same controllers.

Other users have complained about this here, but you ignored them.

This IS clearly a driver bug. I am a software engineer, btw.

Can you escalate and try to have this fixed asap, please?

139 Replies
Efren
New Contributor I

Don't play with me like that!!!! 

Can you share this driver?

will6
New Contributor III

Thanks. Well, @claudspeed  is up to you if you want to share it by PM. I wont make it public, thats your decission.

Will connect back the wifi bt antenna. I put it in motherboard box some time ago.

A BT driver updated is scheduled for release this or next week by intel, which probably wont have any fix.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hi Will,

I doubt It's coming in the next release since It's probably still in code review. 

Btw, I think we need to give credit when someone takes their job seriously, so shout out to Bing Chang from Intel for cooperating with me for all this time, trusting my words and not giving up on solving this issue that has been there for years. Intel really needs more engineers like him!

will6
New Contributor III

Sure, kudos to that. Probably this year the fixed driver won't be available at all.

Also they still need to show it works for cnvi cards (the one that ends on AX xx1)

Looks promising but atm there isnt a working driver for cnvi cards, the 21.0.0.4 never worked on those cards. Maybe this one works, couldn't try test mode on this PC.

And make at least a beta signed driver.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Sadly the bug list for this cards is long. I have very easy to reproduce bugs. But they never gave me the chance to reach engineering team.

Is not that hard to listen to your customers. 

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Well, tried the fixed driver on Windows test mode. But didn't work at all.

Exclamation mark on system devices (AX201)

So probably the driver is only for AX200.

I just really hope they didn't just made a rebuild from the 21.0.0.4 driver that was only compatible with ax200 too and instead they pushed a real fix.

Guess still a long road to get a fix.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

Anyone tried 23.10.0.2 ?

Think I noticed some improvement. At least for headset + dualsense. Which was a complete nightmare before. 

Still have the problem on TR Wiimote which doesnt have sound with this card.  If anyone can help reporting or testing that, will be great. Only TR wiimote version doesnt have sound (manufactured from 2012 until today with built in motion plus)

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hey, no I haven't tried It. I've been told that fix will likely come in 23.30 or 23.40, because I asked them If they could fix for all the cards and not just AX 200. So now It's still in code review. At least you guys will also get It, but It's going to take some extra time.

will6
New Contributor III

Not sure whats going on. Wonder if maybe using the dev driver did something to the firmware on this device.

Latest I tried was 22.250.0 and was really trash, one second to notice all the problems. On 23.10.0.2 Im not finding the same problems. Headset and dualsense can coexist, no more tricks having to connect the headset before the dualsense.

About multiple controller I found more tolerance also. Two dualsense seems to somehow works. Three was a no go. But there is some improvement. Again not sure if some firmware was flashed when installing the dev driver and was left there or 23.10.0.2 has some improvements.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

It's definitely possible that 23.10 includes some partial fixes to the issue. I remember a Dev driver 23.20.xxx that fixed the connection problem, but with very bad latency on the second controller.

will6
New Contributor III

Not really sure what's going on. But works better. Maybe they were already experimenting in this firmwares.

On system devices, Bluetooth properties, firmware version it says 37....... a17. Does the same for you?

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III

New driver released

0 Kudos
AnniH
Novice

A bit offtopic:

I tried another module: the ultra-cheap MediaTek MT7921, you get this used almost for free.

So, the bluetooth-performance of this card beats the other tested Realtek and the A211 as well (surprise). I've successfully connected and used 1x DS5 and 4x DS4 at the same time. Maybe the module can handle more, but I haven't more controllers to test.

On the other hand, when you use bluetooth, the wifi-performance drops down to low kbit/s to mbit/s-values at a 2.4 ghz wifi. If you are connected to a 5 ghz wifi it's working fine.

In conclusion, when you are looking for an reliable bluetooth-module, that can handle many devices and don't need a fast wifi at 2.4 ghz (ie. for local offline multiplayer), you should take an eye on it.

AngryChair
Novice

Using the latest driver, no improvements (Archer TX50E user here)

I gifted a TP Link UB500 to a friend since he was using an awful chinese adapter, he can now pair and use 4 ps4 controllers without latency problems or disconnects. Me on the other hand have problems when using more than 2 ds4, or even one ds4 and one dualsense. I seriously can't understand how this issue isn't fixed by now or how they have trouble reproducing this. I hope we have good news in the first months of 2024 or else im selling this crap and buying the same UB500 for myself, it can't be that hard to listen to your own customers.

will6
New Contributor III

I noticed some improvements with latest drivers. At least the one on asus forum. I dont use the intel web ones.

I can somehow connect two controllers. Not perfect but kind of works. Three seems to be unstable. It´s a little better than before. Still far from an UB500.

Not sure when another driver will come. These days most companies are on holidays.

0 Kudos
teeedubb
Novice

Wow... I had this same issue with a 9260 card, reported it on these forums, submitted all the requested info over 3 years ago, and have since been using a 7260 card without issue. Today I was thinking about "upgrading" the wifi card on a new motherboard from a rz616 to a ax200 but did a search to check if the issue existed with a ax200, and lo and behold its still here. And this isnt the only report of this issue I have found online, with intel support sending posters on wild goose chases to their pc manufacturers...

Good work intel - glad I went with AMD for my new build.

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
New driver released on Asus forum

0 Kudos
will6
New Contributor III
New driver released.

0 Kudos
claudspeed
New Contributor I

Hey I just tested 23.30.0.3 BT driver from here (updated the wifi driver as well to 23.30.0.6), and the bug seems to be fixed! Two controllers stay connected together and latency, although not perfect, seems pretty stable and close to my external dongle now.

Let me know If It works for you guys as well!

AngryChair
Novice

Just tried 23.30.0.3, x1 dualsense x2 dualshock4 which 90% of the times resulted in latency spikes and subsequent disconections almost within the minute. Results: no disconections nor latency spikes during a 20m session. I'll test a bit more tomorrow and see if i can borrow a dualsense from a friend to try x2 dualsense x2 dualshock4