Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

AX200 causes BOD and no connection after system start

Ceroc
Beginner

Hi there,

first of all my specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • Board: Asus Rog Strix X470-F-Gaming with latest bios version
  • RAM:  4x G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @3200Mhz and timings 14-14-14-31
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) - Version (Build) 2009 (10.0.19042)
  • Driver version of the AX200 card: 22.40.0.2
  • GPU: AMD RX 5700XT
  • Router: Huawei Wifi 6 AX3

My Problem:
I got a AX200 pcie card for about 4 weeks now and have problems every day. If I start the system as usual it happens about 75% of all starts that the wifi connection is active but if I want to do something that uses the wifi connection (for example Youtube) nothing can be loaded and the system is getting slower every second until I do a full restart. With a little bit of luck the wifi connection works then. I tried to disable and re-enable the device with the device manager but instantly got a BOD with just deactivating the device.

I also tried the usual things like reinstalling the drivers. I tried that with safety mode und disabled connection to avoid that Windows 10 is automatically installing drivers but that doesn't work. If I just use USB-Wifi sticks with AC it works without any problems. Mobile phones with AC and AX have a stable connection to the router. I don't have any other solutions to try.

Does anyone know why the AX200 cause so much trouble?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ceroc

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We were checking the website for the motherboard Asus Rog Strix X470-F-Gaming*, and we couldn't find any reference to a wireless card built-in module, neither on the Tech Specs* section nor on the user's manual*. We also checked the "Wireless Ethernet Adapters" and the "Mini PCIe Adapters"* sections in the Qualified Vendor List* (QVL) and there is no reference to compatibility with "Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200". (However, we did see that there is an entry about compatibility with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260: 7260HMW & 7260NGW).

Also, it seems that there are no customized drivers* from ASUS* for this board and the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 wireless card.

Having said that, this is pointing out that the wireless card has been integrated into the system and it didn't come from the factory. Is this correct? Could you please confirm if it was integrated and provide more details?

Also, in order to check this further, please kindly provide us with the following information:

1- Just to make sure, is the issue happening since the very first day that you have the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200?

2- What is the exact Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error code(s) or message(s)?

3- Are you having issues using only Wi-Fi, or also when using Bluetooth?

4- For testing purposes, have you tried with a different router? (Just to rule out issues with compatibility with routers or access points).

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ceroc
Beginner

Hi AndrewG and thank you very much for replying,

at the moment I'm not at home doing business but I can answer some questions in advance.

On the Asus board there never was any wifi integrated. So I had to buy a pcie card with the AX200 chip on it to get wifi working. I also tried various manufacturers to see if I just got a broken product but the problem occurs on every card from all manufacturers. Trying the other pcie slots on the motherboard doesn't solve the problem and they are working without problems. The manufacturers recommended to download the latest drivers from the intel website and at the moment I use the intel tool to get information about new drivers.

1. Yes. The problem was there with every card I tried and with different driver versions.
  2. I can give you that information on friday.
  3. Bluetooth is working without problems. I never got something like pop noises or disconnects. Just WiFi problems.
  4. Yes. I used the basic router from my internet supplier which uses the AC standard and not AX but the problem was still the same. 
  5. Like answer 2 I can do that on friday when I'm back from my business trip.

I hope the informations are also helpful even without the logfile.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ceroc

Thank you very much for your response and for the details. Sure, no problem, we can wait for you to provide us with the information regarding questions # 2 and # 5 so we can have a complete overview of your environment.

In addition to the previous information, could you please also provide more details regarding the PCIe adapters that you bought and tested with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (Gig+)? For instance: brand and model, and even some links as a reference?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Ceroc
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel ,

I wasn't sure about posting links but I can do that. I bought them over amazon. I hope it's correct copied because I'm from germany und maybe the products aren't listed at your location. Here are the links. The first card is the one that I have actually in my system. The second was the first I tried:

Cudy AX3000 Wireless WiFi 6 PCIe:
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/gp/product/B085R9R2B2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28ACUCUGPGKAB&psc=1

Ubit Wifi6 AX200:
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/gp/product/B07Y2MYK4N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3AIN14RCW5MS9&psc=1

I can give you some other information that might help. In my current hotel I use a XMG Core 17 AMD notebook that also have a AX200 chip integrated. I first used the drivers from the manufacturer's page but it seems that they are no customized drivers if I take a closer look on it. They are just normal intel drivers with the version 21.90.3.2 and it seems that they work with my current router and in the hotel. I can't say what router they use in the hotel but it uses the AC wifi standard. But when I updated the driver to version 22.40.0 I got the same problems as on my computer. The notebook seems to have a connection but if I started Chrome and wanted to go on a website nothing happened. Using the device manager to uninstall the drivers is not working because it takes forever if it's not manually cancelled.

Yesterday I started in safety mode and switched to the first installed driver from the manufacturer with version 21.90.3.2. I hope that they work. The last thing I could test is the bluetooth connection in the state that wifi doesn't work. If wifi works everything works.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

Thank you for your response and for all the details provided.

After checking the information, these Ubit* and Cudy* PCIe wireless adapters are actually considered third-party devices. Despite they come with an Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 chip and it may use our generic drivers, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) is Ubit* and Cudy* and this is what we call an OEM integration (Intel sells the chip to the OEM and they design this PCIe card that includes all the electronic, for instance, to convert from M.2 to PCIe, they integrate the chip and provide their own antennas and maybe customized drivers).

We recommend using the drivers and software provided by the OEM. For instance, searching on the internet, we found this link from Ubit* where they provide their own drivers: Ubit WiFi 6 AX 3000Mbps PCIe WiFi Card with BT 5.1(AX200)*, and this one for Cudy* AX3000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 PCI Express Adapter WE3000S

However, we are not sure if this applies to your specific/exact PCIe card model so in this special case, our recommendation is to contact directly their support team for the proper assistance. For your convenience, here is the link to their website where you may find contact information to reach out to them: Ubit Website*. and Cudy* Contact Us links.

We also understand that you had connectivity issues on a laptop after updating to the latest Intel® generic driver version 22.40.0, and now you have rolled back the driver to the first installed driver from the manufacturer with version 21.90.3.2.

In this case, we will focus on the behavior with the laptop. If the behavior still persists with the previous driver (21.90.3.2) please kindly let us know and provide us with the following information:

1- An Intel® SSU report following the instructions on the previous posts.

2- Checking the website for this XMG* Core 17 AMD notebook, we found this link for driver availability, could you please confirm if this is your notebook XMG CORE 17 (ID: XCO17M20)* and if the driver you currently have (21.90.3.2) is the one listed on that webpage?

3- Also, since you mentioned that on the laptop you were having "the same problems as on your computer" (desktop), do you mean you also experienced BSOD errors or just connectivity issues?

4- Finally, just to be sure, did the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 come integrated on the laptop from the factory? Or was it integrated/upgrade?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Ceroc
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

The card from Ubit is already sent back to amazon. In case of the Cudy card the download link for the drivers on their page is just a link to the official intel driver website for the AX200 chip. So they don't have customized drivers. I added the SSU log file from my main computer. The BSOD only appears if I want to uninstall it with the device manager but since I installed various versions I can swap the version without getting a BSOD. The message itself just says that there was a critial error assuming that the system just got a power loss.

1. I added two log files for you. The "ssu_log.txt" is from my main computer with a working wifi state. The second ("ssu_log_laptop") is from the laptop with wifi not working but connected to the network.
  2. I can confirm that and the used driver from the website is the mentioned version (21.90.3.2).
  3. The BSOD doesn't appear on the laptop. I wasn't clear enough, sorry for that. Just connectivity issues.
  4. The Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 came already integrated. I didn't do anything other than installing the driver.

In the meantime I maybe found an interesting fact on my main computer. Usually if the system starts I have to log in because it's not automatically but the wifi can auto connect. If I disable the auto connect and do that manually after user login it seems that it works everytime without any problems. That is for about 10 system starts at the moment. With auto connect before user login the problem normally appears already in 1 - 3 system starts. 

I already updated BIOS & EC from the laptop. And it seems that the driver from the manufacturer also doesn't work properly. I made several restarts and I can reproduce the connectivity issue. So different driver versions don't seem to be the problem. 

After succesfully reproducing the connectivity issue with auto connect before user login with the main computer and laptop and solving it with just deactivating the auto connect I think that the problem is "Windows made" as often... 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the connectivity issues with the laptop, we would like to recommend the following steps:

1- Make sure the router and the Wireless card are configured for the same Throughput Mode: 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode

The Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 supports the 802.11ax IEEE standard and if you are also using a router that supports this (perhaps the Huawei Wifi 6 AX3 router) we recommend selecting 802.11ax which enables 802.11ax data rates. To change this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click Start in the bottom left corner.
  2. Click Device Manager.
  3. Click the > sign to expand the Network adapters entry.
  4. Right-click the wireless adapter and click Properties.
  5. Click the Advanced tab to configure the advanced settings.

In case you are using a router running other IEEE standards, you may try "HT mode or 802.11n" to enable 802.11n data rates or "VHT mode or 802.11ac" to enable 802.11ac data rates.

2- Please set the Recommended Settings based on the IEEE standard you configured in the previous step:

3- Check if the AP/router is running the latest firmware.

4- Check for sources of interference (other wireless devices). Possible interference sources include:

• Cordless phones that operate in the 5 GHz spectrum
  • Microwave ovens
  • Bluetooth® technology-enabled devices

5- You may try different Wi-Fi channels. We recommend checking the router/AP manufacturer for proper guidance on this task.

We also agree that this doesn't seem to be a driver issue. However, if the behavior, persists, you may try a clean install of both the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers following these steps:

A- Download from the XMG* website the wireless and Bluetooth drivers for your specific system and save them to your computer. 

To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet.

B- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver.

Once the installation is completed, please make sure to set the Recommended Settings again as previously suggested in step # 2.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest generic drivers from Intel:

If the behavior persists, please feel free to report back the outcome and provide screenshots from the (1) Windows Settings > Wi-Fi and from (2) Windows® Settings > Status; and if possible, please confirm the brand and model of the router that you use with the laptop (Huawei Wifi 6 AX3 router?, AC router in the hotel?, Any other routers?)

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Note:

Thank you for your feedback regarding how you manage to avoid the BSOD issue on the Cudy PCIe wireless card by swapping drivers. Hopefully, this may help other users experiencing similar behaviors. In case you need further assistance with the BSOD and the Cudy PCIe wireless card our recommendation is to check further with their support team since this is considered a third-party device.

0 Kudos
Ceroc
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

Since the laptop and the main pc  suffer the exact same issue I did all of the following steps for both systems. If it's not driver based I think it's Windows based. Because the two systems are totally different in terms of hardware but the problem is the same. It shows me a symbol and the information about a normal connection to the Wifi already in the user login screen in Windows but If I want to do something that has to do with the internet it just keeps loading and after a while it just says no connection to the internet. 

If you remember I told you about the solution to deactivate the automatic connect to the Wifi and manually connect after user login. I did that for about a week or longer and I got no problems with any driver version. It also works in different hotels which use different routers and access points / repeater. At that point I totally agree with you about saying that it's not a issue caused by the driver. In my case it's not a solution forever and maybe we can find the problem. So please see the answers of your mentioned single steps I did for both systems (laptop and main):

1. At home I use the Huawei Wifi 6 AX3 in Throughput Mode: 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode. The hotels I visited mostly use 802.11n/ac without ax. The problem appeared with different driver version and routers which has different configurations. At least the settings at home should be okay. Please see the screenshots with the settings of the Huawei router. The channel for 2.4Ghz is set to 12 because the other channels are already used very much and with channel 12 I can avoid interferences. In that case I know what I do.

2. I followed the recommended settings for "Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity (for instance for the Huawei Wifi 6 AX3 router)". I didn't had to change the configuration because the standard configuration already was the recommended.

3. The Huawei router searches every night automatically for updates and install them. For precise information about firmware please see the screenshot.

4. In case of the router: 
    Placed in a corner in the living room without any other electronic devices with bluetooth / high frequency technology or something else. Something like microwave ovens are only in the kitchen very far away from the router and laptop / main system. I don't use cordless phones or other phones except for mobile phones.

In case of laptop / main system:
    They are in my office and the only things that can cause a interference are the AX200 chips itself. Because if you say that a bluetooth-enabled device can cause problems so why is it integrated in the AX200 chip? Or do they harmonize together without problems? But I don't think that a bluetooth device is causing that weird connection issue I mentioned above. There is only a bluetooth sound box which is mostly turned off and the box is running the bluetooth connection is stable for several hours.

5.  For the 2.4Ghz I set it to channel 12 and I leave it to that channel. I checked all channels for usage from neighbour routers and found out that the channels 11 and 12 are not used so that should work without problems. Also every other mobile phone, TV or even my business laptop with Wifi AC don't have problems and always a stable connection. The problem I got is something different than a unstable connection with several disconnects. Even the two systems with the AX200 chip never experienced a single disconnect if the connection was working. The 5Ghz network is set to auto and it seems that the neighbours don't use a 5Ghz network.

My main system already got the latest driver for bluetooth and wifi but I deinstalled it and installed first bluetooth and then wifi as you recommended. Than I checked the settings. For the laptop I updated them and did the same.

I also uploaded screenshots of the windows wifi and status page. It's in german but I hope it can give you enough information. I blacked out my ip and mac adresses. I'm afraid I can't give you the brand the hotels use because I don't have access to them and they don't give me any informations about them. But the router I used from the internet provider is the "Vodafone Station". They use Wifi AC and don't support AX but the problem was the same. In summary I can say that my laptop got the problem with 4 different routers. The main system with two. I don't really think that trying out more routers brings a solution. My opinion doesn't change and I think that this is a Windows based problem in combination with user login and the system rights that Windows manages.

If you have any other questions please let me know if I can do something else for you. 

Best regards

Alex

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

Thank you very much for your response and for all the details provided. Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we noticed that the router is using as a Security method a mixed-mode of "WPA2-PSK/WPA3-Personal (aka WPA3-SAE)". Could you please test by using only "WPA2-PSK". Please provide details of the outcome.

You will need to change this setting in the router and we recommend referring to the Router's User Manual or contacting the manufacturer (OEM) for proper guidance.

Also, in order to gather more details and debugging logs from your system, we will send you an email to the email address associated with your Community Profile.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Were you able to check the email we sent?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Ceroc

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. Just in case, we would like to remind you about our recommendation to contact the router manufacturer for guidance to check Network/Security settings

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored. If you need any additional information or if the issue persists, please submit a new question and provide us with the outcome and the previous logs we requested.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos