Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX200 disconnecting from network.

AChea2
Novice

I currently have Xfinity gigabit, a Netgear Cm1200 modem and the netgear RAX120 wifi 6 router. It's been fantastic. I purchased a new Ax200 wifi 6 card for my desktop (Dell xps 8910) and for the most part it has been great however it seems to drop the connection at least once per day. Sometimes it totally disconnects, other times it says its still connected but I have no internet connectivity. I know it's the adapter because all my other devices (Dell xps 15 9560, ipad pro 2017, iphone 7, Lenovo Thinkpad 490) stay connected without issue. I also have a galaxy s10 thats had connection issues on the 5ghz band. I have the latest drivers 21.90.3.2 and see in the release notes that there is/was that when the AX200 is connected to a wifi 6 network that a mobile device may get disconnected (and perhaps the reverse is true) so I'm assuming that may be my issue and that contrary to the release notes the issue is not fixed.

other network details, I have it in AX mode and have set the 5ghz band to 160mhz. I also have wpa2/3 personal enabled. If any other information is needed do let me know.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Just to confirm, the wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

1. No this is not a new machine I've had it for about three years now.

2. It has never connected consistently. I've had it for about three weeks now.

3. No, no recent hardware or software changes

4. I purchased the wireless card separately. The card the machine came with is the AC-3165. It is still installed in the machine but currently disabled

5. The issue started three weeks ago

6. I am running Windows 10 (until yesterday it was 1909, they just released their may update so it is now version 2004)

7. Yes my internet service is working properly. my modem and router are also working properly. wifi 5 devices connect and stay connected just fine.

8. This is in a home environment

If any other information is needed do let me know

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Just to confirm, how did you install Windows*?

Where did you get it from?

Are you using a PCIe adapter to connect the Intel® Wireless card?

Could you please provide a picture of how is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card connected to the computer? So we can verify the components being used.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

Hello,

1.Windows came with the computer. Every update to windows has been done through windows update.

2. I bought the card from Amazon, this is the exact page https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X462KRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. As you can see from the page yes it uses a PCIe adapter

I did some more digging and my issues are exactly like those reflected in this post https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004RujysSAB/ax200-speed-drop-on-ax-router?language=en_US

So it appears to be a compatibility issue between the Rax120 and the AX200. Thought after 8 months this issue might have been resolved :(

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Just to let you know, when you purchase the Intel® Wireless card separately that is what is called "Wireless Integration" and there are a lot of factors that come into play, like the board, PCIe adapter, drivers, antennas, installation, and as you mentioned, compatibility. For installation, we actually recommend to have a technician from, in this case Dell, to install the card.

There is also regulatory information that you can check in the following links about "Wireless Integration":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

So, the next thing to do for this scenario, will be to get in contact directly with Dell for them to inspect the computer, verify the installation of the Intel® Wireless card, confirm if the card is compatible with their system and if available to provide a driver validated by them for the computer to work properly:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Same thing with the PCIe adapter, the manufacturer of it will be able to confirm if it is fully compatible with Dell's platform and if possible provide a driver as well.

Keep in mind that there is also the possibility of the Intel® Wireless card being defective and in that case, the best option will be to get in contact directly with the place of purchase for them to provide the warranty options available for that unit.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

I'm certain the card is compatible and is installed correctly. As the the thread I linked to mentions it is not an issue of wireless integration as several laptops that come with the ax200 native have had the same issue. It is a driver issue between the ax200 and the netgear RAX120

The following three threads further this conclusion

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-does-not-work-with-AX200-160Mhz/m-p/1910022

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Transfer-speed-awful-on-160MHz-with-RAX120-and-Intel-AX200/m-p/1868140

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-Speed-drops-from-600-700-Mbps-to-6-Mbps-when-using-802/m-p/1878906

For a temporary fix I can simply disable and re-enable the wifi connection or The drivers for the killer AX 1650 also provide for a stable connection. Hopefully the engineers at intel and Netgear and intel can work together to resolve this issue as I'd rather not use 3rd party drivers (though intel did just by killer so perhaps there's hope).

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Could you please provide a picture where we can see the model of the Intel® Wireless card and how is connected to the board?

Also, please fill the following form so we can further assist you with this scenario:

Problem details

• Problem description:  
  • Frequency of occurrence (once an hour, day, always):  
  • Computer power source (plugged in or battery):
  • Steps to reproduce (provide links to forums, online help, screen shots):
  • Attempted workaround (turn off settings, change power settings, etc.):
  • Environment (office, school, hospital, factory, home):

Client computer details

• Computer manufacturer(s):
  • Computer model(s):
  • Windows OS (provide Version number if Win10, and 32- or 64-bit):
  • WiFi configuration manager (e.g. Intel PROSet, Windows AutoConfig (native), etc.):
  • WiFi adapter model(s):
  • WiFi device driver version:
  • Number of systems affected:

Wireless security method

• Encryption Type (Open, RC4, TKIP, AES):
  • 802.1X authentication type (WEP, TKIP, CCMP):
  • Key Management Type (PEAP, EAP-FAST):

WiFi network environment

• Access Point manufacturer, model, & SW version:
  • Wireless Frequencies in use (2.4 and/or 5 GHz):
  • 802.11n or 802.11ac enabled (None/HT(11n)/VHT(11ac)):  
  • Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz) for 2.4 GHz?
  • Channel Width (20 MHz vs. 40 MHz vs. 80MHz) for 5 GHz?
  • SSID stealth mode (hidden or broadcast):

Enterprise Customers:

• WLAN Controller manufacturer, model, and SW version:
  • RADIUS Server Make/Version:
  •  

Debug data

Please include the following (if available):

• Intel Wireless Reporting Tool (WRT)
  • Intel WiFi Tool (ping utility)
  • Windows System Event log
  • Windows WLAN-AutoConfig log
  • Screen shots depicting failure

Regards,

Albert R.

AChea2
Novice

1.      The exact problem is that the AX200 connectivity speeds will drop considerably throughout the day. I have a gigabit connection through comcast and when the card is functioning normally I can get 500-700Mbs down and 35-40Mbs up. After a few hours the speed will drop to 25Mbs or less (it's been as low as 4) down and barely 1 mbs upload. In one rare instance the speed was so slow it seemed like I had no network connectivity at all. I've notice this usually occurs after the computer has been idle for an hour or longer.

2.      It occurs at least once per day. Again I notice it when the computer has been idle for a long period and then I go to use it.

3.      It is a desktop computer plugged into a surge protector

4.      I've linked at least 4 other forum post from here and netgear of customers that have had similar issues. It seems all you need to do to reproduce the issue is have a laptop or desktop with an Ax200 card, connect it to the Netgear RAX120. Run a speedtest upon first connecting, wait an hour or two (or over night) and then test the speed again and notice the difference.

5.      So far I've made sure the card has the latest drivers as well as the router having the latest firmware. I have not changed the changed the channel width (currently 160mhz) or taken the router out of wifi6(AX) mode as those settings should ensure the fastest possible speeds. But I can certainly change those settings for the sake of narrowing down the issue.

6.      I am in a home office in my apartment. There is one wall (drywall and wood studs) and 24ft between the computer and the router. I 

Dell

XPS 8930

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit V: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Intel Proset

Wifi adapters: Intel AX200 and Intel AC 3165 (currently disabled)

Driver: 21.90.3.2

Just one system affected (though if I can get this resolved I plan to upgrade the wifi card in my laptop to one that is wifi 6)

Encryption

WPA2(AES) on the 2.4ghz network

WPA2(AES)+WPA3 on the 5ghz network

Network

Netgear RAX 120 (firmware: 1.0.1.122)

2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies are in use. the 5ghz band is the one the card is connected to.

802.11ax

20/40mhz coexistence for 2.4ghz

160mhz for 5ghz

OFDMA is enabled on the 5ghz band

SSID is broadcasting

tried attaching the event log files but it doesn't seem like that file type is able to be uploaded here. can I email them?

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

speed test log

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, Thank you very much for filling the form.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

AChea2
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, You are very welcome, I just received an update on this matter.

We just wanted to confirm a few details:

You mentioned that you test the 802.11ax mode, for testing purposes, did you try 802.11ac mode only?

Did you test different protocols 802.11 a, g, n?

Is the issue occurring with the 2 routers mentioned or only one?

Did you try a BIOS/Motherboard or Router firmware update?

The latest BIOS version available for the Dell XPS 8910 is 1.1.11, 1.1.11:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=3vt57&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-8910-desktop

For the Netgear RAX120 wifi 6 Router, I found this link Firmware Version 1.0.1.122:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx#download

For the modem Netgear CM1200, I found the following link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cm1200.aspx#download

Just to let you know, before trying any changes we recommend to get in contact directly with Dell and Netgear for them to provide the proper instructions to do the updates:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

Yep I have the latest BIOS 1.11.11 for my Dell. It was updated march 5th. The Netgear Rax120 is also on the latest firmware and set to automatically update. Checked the modem and it is on v1.02.02 which I believe is the latest version available from Comcast (they push the firmware for the Modem).

I believe I mentioned it earlier but I also have a Samsung Galaxy S10 (SM-G973U) connected to the 5ghz network. I mention it again because for the last 48 hours the AX200 has had a stable connection (I've run 11 speed test at random during that time and the speeds were acceptable. 340mbs - 585mbs) but the s10 has lost connection at least twice. By lost connection I mean it was either booted off the network entirely or it showed it was connected to the router but had no internet connectivity. I see in the release notes of 21.90.3 for the AX200 that this was an issue that was addressed. I'm far from a network engineer but as far as I know wifi-6 is supposed to let devices save energy through target wake times (If I understand it right, the router schedules check-in times with the device instead of the device draining energy by constantly pinging the router). I'm assuming the issue lies in that feature somewhere as I've only noticed the AX200 speed lagging after the computer has been idle for a while.

When the router is AC(wifi5) mode the AX200 stays connected without issue. When I disable the AC3165 enabled (and the AX200 disabled) and the Router in AX(wifi6) mode there is also no issue. There are only connectivity issues when the router is AX (wifi6) mode and I have the AX200 connected (and the s10). Since the s10 has gotten disconnected twice now, i'll remove it from the network and just use its cellular capabilities and see how long the AX200 stays connected. I've also kept at least one program open/running on the computer over the last 48 hours so was never totally idle. Not sure if that has made a difference or not.

Lastly, on Wednesday I received the iPhoneSE (2020) so I now have 3 wifi-6 enabled devices (AX200, Galaxys10, and iPhoneSE).

If there's any other information I can provide please let me know. Thank you so much for helping me troubleshoot this.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We will continue doing further research on this matter, once I get any updates I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

So I took my wifi6 mobile devices (s10 and iPhoneSE 2020) off the network to see if they were somehow causing the slow down and they were not. In the last 36 hours hours I've experienced the speed degradation three times. I also theorized that there was a set amount of time that needed to happen (12 hours was my hypothesis) before the speed would slow but I found that is also not true as I ran a test this morning at 8:40am EST and got 600mbs down 40 up, ran it almost three hours later (11:37) and got 27mbs down .38mbs up.

That said, normally I would disconnect from the network and then reconnect to fix the issue however this time I waited to see if speeds would return to normal on their own. I waited 10 minutes and ran a test again and speeds returned to normal. So it appears the speed degradation is temporary and only last a few minutes. I just wish I knew what was causing it in the first place. I know networks fluctuate and there will be variance in speed at any given moment but I don't believe its normal to have such extreme dips where the speed is literally 1-5% of what it is normally. Again thank you for all of your time and effort.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those updates, they are very helpful for us.

We will continue with or research on this topic, as soon as I get any more details I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, I just received an update on this matter.

In order to try to fix this problem, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Change adapter settings, right-click on the adapter in use > select properties > Configure button > Power Management tab > uncheck the lower of the two boxes first, then the top one > Apply and OK.

Open the settings app and navigate to System -> Power & sleep. On the right-side panel, click the option “When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network” and change it to Never.

Also, we recommend to do a clean installation of the Wireless drivers and then install the latest version, 21.90.2:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29538/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=189347

For this type of scenario to reinstall the Operating System might be necessary, so if you have the option to do that after backing up all the important information from the system, you can always try that in order to try to fix this problem.

Now, just to let you know, the steps suggested above were recommended in an effort from Intel® to try to resolve this issue for you and assist you as much as we can, but this case being a Wireless Integration the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Dell to confirm the compatibility of all the parts that are working on this platform.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I will implement those changes.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AChea2, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, please go ahead and try to implement those steps in order to try to fix this problem, that will be the next thing to do in this specific case.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AChea2
Novice

So unfortunately those steps did not resolve the issue. I had put off reopening this ticket in hopes that a new driver would be released and fix the issue but I can safely say version 21.110.1.1 does not resolve the issue. To recap, the issue is that after several hours of connectivity the speed slows way down (from 300-400Mbs to ~10-20Mbs). This usually happens after the computer has been idle for a while. Also, occasionally when the Ax200 is enabled, it will kick other devices off the network (I know its the Ax200 as when the card is disabled, all devices remain connected without issue). 

I have heard that there is a supposed v21.110.2.1 driver that fixes these issues but I have only seen it mentioned in forum post and have not seen this driver available on intel's website. 

Next time this behavior starts I will try to capture packets using wireshark 

0 Kudos