Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

AX201 does not connect to nearby APs, but connects to distant APs

Ushihara
Beginner

We are using a Windows laptop with an AX201.

There are multiple APs with the same ESSID.
The APs are a mix of 11ax and 11ac.

The above AX201 behaves as follows
-Does not make connections to nearby 11ax APs.
-It makes connections to APs with 11ac settings that are far away.

As confirmed by wireless capture, AX201 sends ProbeRequest to both nearby and distant APs and receives ProbeResponse.

However, it performs connection processing (Auth/Assoc) to the distant AP and connects to it.
From the behavior, it appears to be preferentially connecting to 11ac APs.

Do you know what is causing this?
If it is due to the AP settings, what do I need to change?

We would like the AX201 to connect to an AP with a nearby 11ax setting for better wireless conditions.

The following is the information on the device.

Panasonic CF-FV
CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1145G7 @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz
RAM 16.0 GB

Windows 10 Pro
version 22H2
OS build 19045.3324

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Driver version 22.120.1.9

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ushihara

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

1.      Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system, or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

2.      Can you provide insights into the specific behavior of the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 when attempting to connect to nearby 11ax access points, such as any error messages or unusual patterns?

3.      Have there been any recent changes in the network setup or configuration that might coincide with the onset of the issue with the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201?

4.      Could you describe the typical distances between the Windows laptop and both the nearby 11ax access points and the distant 11ac access points?

5.      Are there any distinct patterns or factors that seem to influence when the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 chooses to connect to the distant 11ac access points over the nearby 11ax access points?

6.      Can you provide details about any other devices in the same location that are successfully connecting to the nearby 11ax access points, and if they are using similar or different Wi-Fi adapters?

7.     Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

Thanks for replying.
To answer your question.

1.AX201 is a device preinstalled on my system. No hardware changes were made.

2.No error occurs. In my experience, it seems like it takes a little longer to connect than usual.

3.There is no change. On 2023/02/13, "Intel Corporation - Extension - 22.1160.0.2" was installed on my PC via Windows Update.

4.The distance between the PC and the ax access point is about 1 meter. The distance between the PC and the AC access point is about 17 meters.

5.No pattern found. The AC access point operates on 116ch, and the 11ax access point operates on 52ch.
   It connects to the ac access point no matter how many times you disconnect/connect the ESSID or turn off/on the WiFi repeatedly.
   When the 11ac access point with the same ESSID is turned off (no longer exists), it will connect to the 11ax access point.

6.With another device of the same model Panasonic CF-FV, it will connect to the 11ac access point.
   With iPhone 15 Pro/iPad 9/Android, it connects well to the ax access point.

7.I have attached a txt file, so please check it.

To be sure, I retrieved the files for the two laptops where the phenomenon occurs.
   The behavior is the same on both laptops.

Postscript.

Can you tell me what algorithm the AX201 uses to select which AP to connect to?
I am hoping that knowing this may help us solve the problem.
If you have documentation, could you please provide it.

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

I am adding this information for common information.
I wanted to know what is the AP selection algorithm for AX201 and share what I found out by changing the AP settings.

Sometimes changing the channel bandwidth of the access point can lead to a nearby 11ax access point.

We will deploy the results we tried.

I'd love to hear your views.

I would like to know your view on whether it is consistent with the algorithm for selecting APs.

No11ax AP(Nearby)11ac AP(Distant)AX201 Other Device
140MHz80MHzConnect to a distant AP (11ac).Connect to a nearby AP (11ax).
240MHz40MHzConnect to a nearby AP (11ax).Connect to a nearby AP (11ax).
380MHz80MHzConnect to a distant AP (11ac).Connect to a nearby AP (11ax).
0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ushihara

Thank you for your reply.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Ushihara

Thank you for your patience.

To continue with our investigation we need a little bit more information:

1. When the issue started? was this present with previous drivers?
  2. Have you tested with other networks or APs?
  3. Have you tried a clean driver installation with the latest driver? Latest: 23.10.0

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

Thanks for contacting me.
Answer to your question.

1. It was pre-installed, so I did not try it with the previous driver.
It seems to have been occurring ever since I started using a laptop with AX201.

2. When I used the same AP on other networks, I got the same behavior.
I have not been able to confirm this when using other APs.
Other members have told me that it behaves the same with other APs (AX201 does not connect to nearby APs).

3. I tried with the new driver, but it did not improve.

Is there anything else I should check?
I can get the air capture logs.
If you guys are willing to analyze the air capture logs, I will attach the air capture logs.
If necessary, please direct me to it.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ushihara

Could you please share the Air logs with us? We'd like to review that document to assist you in resolving the issue.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

I am attaching an airlog that captures the behavior of AX201.

I have included the MAC address and other information in the readme.txt in the compressed file.

Please analyze the logs.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ushihara

Thank you for providing the logs.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @Ushihara,

We appreciate your patience.

After reviewing the resolution provided by the wireless team, it appears that the issue is not related to drivers. We suggest checking the antenna connectors with their OEM for further troubleshooting.

As this matter falls under OEM support, we will proceed to close this ticket. Kindly note that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

I would like to be more detailed.
Could you please answer the following questions.

1)We would like to know the Intel Wireless team's view on what made them decide that the driver is not a problem.
  Can you give us the Intel Wireless team's view in writing?

2)We do not know what is the correct way for AX201 to behave.
  Is the behavior of AX201 in the airlog we have provided a misbehavior?
  Please tell us what the correct algorithm is.

3)What do you mean by OEM support?
  Should we contact Panasonic, the laptop manufacturer?
  I think we will need an official statement from Intel when we contact them.
  Can we get that?

4)We have heard that similar problems occur with other companies' notebook PCs equipped with AX201.
  If we attach their logs, can they proceed with the investigation again?

0 Kudos
Ushihara
Beginner

No reply to my question but this topic is closed?

I can confirm that I am having the same problem with other laptops, so I will ask my question in another topic.

Best regards

0 Kudos