Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AX210 Poor Wi-Fi 6E 6GHz performance / WPA3-Personal Not Working on Windows10

Bal-
Novice

Hello,

I'm experiencing issues with slow throughput speed and unable to authenticate WPA3 using the AX210 wireless module using Wi-Fi 6E 6GHz. I've tested both the Netgear RAXE500 and ASUS GT-AXE11000 access points. These are currently the only access points on the market with Wi-Fi 6E, and the Intel AX210 is the only PC module that supports Wi-Fi 6E so I don't have a lot of options for testing this new (expensive) technology. Since my overall experience has been very negative, I'm hoping this post will highlight some of the current issues so they can be addressed and let others know it's not just them.

The AX210 is listed as a Wi-Fi 6E compatible module (it's in the name) yet the technology is not enabled in the most recent (22.30.0.11) Windows driver. for this device

On the product page (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax210-module-brief.html

• " Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 module maximizes Wi-Fi 6 and Gigabit Wi-Fi benefits enabling greater network flexibility, faster downloads, sharing and backups as well as reduced latency and improved reliability."
  • "Full support for latest Microsoft Windows 10* OS."
  • "Security Methods WPA2*,WPA3*"

Unfortunately, through experience, I have found all of those claims to be false.

To even see the 6GHz band, it's required to add the registry entry Is6GhzBandSupported = 1 to the AX210 driver class. This is the case in both in Windows 10 20H2 which is the latest release and 21H1 Beta which is slated for May. 

Once the AX210 driver is seeing the 6GHz band....

Problem #1

The module is unable to authenticate using WPA3-Personal on the 6GHz band. This is concerning since it's the only password enabled option compatible with Wi-Fi 6E. 

I do not have this issue with the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, or using the Linux 5.10 kernel with the 6GHz band, which leads me to believe it's an AX210 module / driver issue as noted by others. Intel Support, in one instance, has claimed Windows does not yet support 6GHz, however AX210 is advertised as "Full support for latest Microsoft Windows 10* OS." so...

OWE will allow me to connect (insecurely), but that leads me to Problem#2

Problem #2

When connected with 6GHz Wi-Fi 6E, the transfer rates are slower when compared to the 2.4GHz / 5GHz Wi-Fi6 variants. This technology is advertised as faster than Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+ also in the product name), yet I've not yet seen anything close to that through the AX210.

Here are some average link speeds (from Windows, which curiously still lists the 6GHz Band as 5GHz)) and file transfer rates (tested using iperf3 to dual GBe NAS) comparing Wi-Fi 6 to WiFi 6E.

Wi-Fi 6 2.4GHz 

• Link speed (r/t):
    • 258/244
  • Transfer Rate (iperf3): 
    • [SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 165 MBytes 138 Mbits/sec sender
      [SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 164 MBytes 137 Mbits/sec receiver
  • Transfer Rate (speedtest.net d/u)
    • 140.88/ 35.03

Wi-Fi 6 5GHz

• Link speed (r/t):
    • 1922/865
    • [SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 544 MBytes 457 Mbits/sec sender
      [SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 543 MBytes 456 Mbits/sec receiver
    • 476.46 / 34.99

Wi-Fi 6E 6GHz

• Link speed (r/t): 
    • 576/103
    • [SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 56.2 MBytes 47.1 Mbits/sec sender
      [SUM] 0.00-10.01 sec 55.1 MBytes 46.2 Mbits/sec receiver
    • 232.62 / 7.97

Problem #3:

Windows blue screens when both the AX201 and AX210 are both enabled. The 22.30.0.11 is the only Windows driver for the AX210 since its release that has not caused Windows 10 to blue screen upon boot (however it does still BSOD in the Windows 10 Dev Preview).

23 Replies
bpavlich
Novice

I am also seeing that WPA-3 Personal isn't supported on my AX210 machine.  I have a colleague that can connect via WPA-3 though.  I have connected with my AX210 machine via OWE from my ASUS 6E router.  I wish I knew the fix.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Bal-, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Bal-
Novice

Hello, thank you for responding. I attached SSU.txt to my post. 

What is the model of the motherboard?

• Product ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 2004

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

• Desktop

What is the model of the Router?

• Netgear RAXE500
  • Asus GT-RAXE11000

....these are currently the only Wi-Fi 6E routers on the market.

Is this a new computer?

• No

Was it working fine before?

• No

When did the issue start?

• Since Wi-Fi 6E routers were available for purchase.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

• Installed AX210 so I could experience Wi-Fi 6E

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

• Separately, PCIe adapter

Which Windows* version are you using?

• Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 ("20H2")

Have also tried....

• Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19043 ("21H1" Beta)
  • Windows 10 Pro Version  21343.1000 (Dev channel)
  • Ubuntu 20.10 Kernel 5.11

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

• Home
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Bal-, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter in reference to the 3 problems that you described in your original post, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Bal-, I just received an update on this matter.

Please try to do a clean installation of Intel® Generic Wireless driver version 22.40 following the instructions on the links below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30279/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?wapkw=ac%207265

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-gigabit-products.html

We recommend also using WPA2 instead? WPA3 is more business environment-related.

If the problem persists after that, since this is what we called a "Wireless Integration" of the card, just to let you know, there are a lot of components that come into play, including, compatibility, installation of drivers, PCIe adapter, antennas, motherboard and also regulatory information:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

So the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board for further assistance on this matter especially since the system is showing BSODs:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Bal-
Novice

Hello, 

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 20H2, Intel Generic Wireless driver version 22.40,  and a clean install of Ubuntu 20.10 using the latest Linux driver, the issue persists.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to use anything but WPA3-Personal for securing Wi-Fi 6E, as mandated by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

To clarify: I do not have WPA3 authentication issues or signal issues with any devices other than the AX210 module over WPA3-Personal using Wi-Fi 6E. This is on either the Netgear RAXE500 or Asus GT-AXE11000 which both require WPA3-Personal to be used per the Wi-Fi alliance specification.

I would accept that the signal issues may be related to the PCIe Wi-Fi adapter, or antennas, however, using four different antenna styles that support the 6GHz range (all of which boost the 2.4 GHz  and 5GHz signal), none of them will connect at the rated speed, even just a few feet away, when using the AX210 module. I do not have these signal or WPA3 issues when using another Wi-Fi 6E compatible device, such as a Samsung S21 Ultra smartphone.

According to the Wi-Fi Alliance certification date for the AX210, there were no Wi-Fi 6E devices on the market yet, so I have to wonder, did Intel physically test WPA3-Personal with Wi-Fi 6E?

There are multiple posts from people experiencing this exact same issue where OWE works and WPA3 does not, many of them in this forum. It's not just me.

I've reached out to both Asus and Netgear on the issue who have both escalated this internally. The general consensus from both Netgear and Asus thus far is that this problem points to an Intel driver / firmware issue since it cannot be reproduced on other Wi-Fi 6E compatible devices.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-AX210-6Ghz-not-enabled-in-drivers-by-default-and-WPA3-not/m-p/1260709#M34419

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123360-GT-AXE11000-is-now-seeing-6GHz-but-cannot-connect

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/WiFi-6E-Problems-RAXE500/m-p/2080935#M18257

The driver BSOD's were resolved by driver 22.40.0.7 and Windows 10 21H1, with the exception of the scenario where two wireless devices (such as an AX210 and AX201 are both enabled), so that's good.

Cheers,

Bal

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

I am basically running the same configuration.  But the Hero XII (Wi-Fi) uses an AX201 which is not 6 GHz.  As far as I know, there is not a 6 GHz version of the CNVio card available.  Maybe soon?

The OWE currently is the only one that works.  Possibly with the release of the Intel 22.50.0 drivers, that will change.  Windows DEV Insiders already have this driver.

The AXE11000 will need a Firmware upgrade since right now it is showing my 6 GHz connections as Ethernet..  But I am getting good speed.

Both of my current systems needed the Registry modification to enable the 6 GHz band.  I do not know if it will be available in 21H1..

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Bal-, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

Perfect, it is great to hear that the problem with the BSOD got fixed after installing driver 22.40.0.7 and Windows 10 21H1. 

Regarding the WPA3-Personal problem, we will continue with our research on this matter, once I get more details I will post all of them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Bal-, I just received an update on this matter.

In reference to this scenario, we can confirm that Wi-Fi 6E or the 6 GHz band will be supported in a future Windows OS version. For further details on this topic please get in contact with Microsoft directly:

https://support.microsoft.com/

Currently, the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) supports legacy bands 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The use of the 6 GHz band may be prohibited by regulations in your country, or might not be enabled on your platform by the system manufacturer.

Just to let you know, for users that swap out an older 11ac/ax card with the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 card on their systems may encounter connectivity or performance issues, we suggest you always check with the system manufacturer directly to ensure the system and its antennas are compatible with the Intel® Wireless card:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
FUintle
Beginner

Utter BS!! Its YOUR hardware! You can't support it, give all of us a refund! If you think Windows 8, I mean Windows 11 will fix YOUR problems, you are sadly mistaken. YOU need to release a WORKING driver or the customers probably need to drop a class action law suit on you asses!!

0 Kudos
BobRJones
Beginner

So Windows is the problem? I guess I shouldn't be suprised

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

When Microsoft announced Windows 11, the Wi-Fi 6e availability was confirmed.  I am currently using it with the Insiders program but it does not yet seem to be available.

It might be they have not yet turned it on for the Insiders, only time will tell.  But what gets me is the fact I can use the radio on an open network but I cannot sign into it with a password on the ASUS AXE11000.  I get messages about it using older security but the encryption is set to WPA3..

I also noticed, if my router is showing correctly, that the transmissions are on Channel 1, which cannot even be set in the router.

What I am most afraid of is, that certain parties are squabbling over who gets what when the dust settles..

0 Kudos
BobRJones
Beginner

The more I look into this, the more I feel that it's an Intel problem. My Linux partition won't connect to 6ghz when wpa3 is enabled either. Obviously, that seems to point at Intel being the problem, not Windows. I do suppose it is possible that my router is to blame as well, Asus GT-axe1000. Either way, sometimes being an early adopter has its issues.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

Just got a firmware update for my AXE11000 to 43986 and Wi-Fi 6e is working on all my systems, Win 11 and Win 10..

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

Sorry, my response was incorrect.  I had set up a AiMesh unit for my Router and it was seeing the 6GHz SSID, not the actual radio.  So back to Win 11 only right now..  

I really hope they send this down to Win 10 so the 4 systems I have that are not Win 11 compliant, will also be able to use the Radio..

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

The  6 GHz radio on the ASUS AXE11000 just went live and I am able to sign in using a password.  So far this has only been on the Windows Insider Win 11 system using the Intel 22.70.0.5 driver for the AX210.

After a year of waiting.. I will post back if I start to see it on any of my Public Win 10 systems.

0 Kudos
BobRJones
Beginner

Sadly, 6ghz is still not working for me. I've tried the latest preview release of Windows 10 and even updated, briefly to Windows 11. I've installed the latest intel driver and still can't even SEE the 6ghz band on Windows. I'm running a dual boot with Linux Mint. Can't connect to 6ghz but at least I can see it on Linux. I'm so sick of this. Microsoft blames Intel and Intel blames Windows. Given that its not working on 2 different os's, I'm going to have to lay the blame on intel. Anyone know of another manufacturer making wifi 6e cards?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Beginner

Wi-Fi 6e has been active since Win 11 was given to the Insiders.  I am on an unqualified system right now on which I did a clean install using the Install media available to the public.  It also works on my Public install on a qualified system.

I am currently on the Intel driver 22.70.0.6 but they just released an update to the Insiders of 22.90 which has not effected the Wi-Fi 6e as far as I know.

If you have Windows 11, it should be working.  I do believe they have withheld it from Win 10 in order to make Win 11 appear to be technology advanced.  

0 Kudos
BobRJones
Beginner

Honestly, Saltgrass, I don't believe you. I need to see proof. I'm certain that the ax210 will never connect to 6ghz on any OS. Post some pics to prove it and explain exactly how you got this to work!

0 Kudos
William104
Beginner

I can believe you I also have the AX210 got it to work in the open setting for the 6 ghz band are you running 21h2 version on your computer 21h2 should have wpa3 on according from what I have heard waiting to update from 21h1 to 21h2 for windows 10, yes I am holding out on updating to Windows 11 until I yes it is working and the problems work their out, yes I may computer is Windows 11 ready to my surprize.

0 Kudos