Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

AX210 > Allow computer to turn off device and a yellow triangle after shutdown

Karelott
Beginner

I think there is something wrong with current Intel drivers. Now I'm using 22.50.0.7 but the same situation is with 22.30 and 22.40. When you uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" talking about WIFI network card driver settings and turn off or restart your laptop, after that there isn't WIFI and you've got a yellow triangle in Devices manager. Your wifi card can't start after that. Also Power managment tab is missing. Now you have to change any settings, apply it and click OK and your network card is working again till next shoutdown.

It's really weird because there hasn't been the same problem using AX200. Moreover default Windows WHQL driver 22.0.0.6 works fine.

Could anybody try the same procedure and let me know if you get the same result, please?

I'm using now 19043.964 Windows build but it doesn't matter. I've been using earlier build and the same situation.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Karelott,

I saw a similar thing with an Asus USB-AC68. Just unchecking the button for Allow computer to turn off this device to save power caused the adapter to stop working. On restart the adapter would not connect to the wireless. I did not check Device Manager because I knew what changes had been made and how to get it changed back. Once I let power management be able to turn off the USB adapter, I could reconnect to the wireless. And it was really inconvenient because I have a disability and needed to physically go to the PC that was located in the basement to get things working again!

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

Thanks for your reply

So.. To be more clear.

1.  Uncheck > "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" (Intel 22.30, 22.40, even 22.50.0.7 driver from Intel website)

2. Shutdown or restart > A yellow triangle, no active wifi card so no WIFI, no Power management tab

3. WIFI card Advanced settings > just change anything and apply that change > WIFI card active and Power management tab is visible again

4. Check > "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" and after that shutdown or restart > no issue

Everything is fine while I'm using that Intel WHQL 22.0.0.6 driver I've got from Windows Update and I've uploaded above.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Karelott, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

Still there is that issue with Intel 22.30, 22.40 and 22.50.0.7 from Windows Update driver. No issue with 22.0.0.6.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

I have an AX210 and it is not a problem with my antenna which has a 9 foot cable to it, 5 GHz and 6 GHz are more sensitive to placement which is why I spent $18 on the antenna

the antenna affords extremely good performance

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

What does this have to do with my my driver issue??

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

If connection errors are manifest

grab the intel intel driver update tool which will find what you need

drivers are also on windows update 

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

Please read again and carefully the description of my issue.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

Try reset windows to eliminate driver error problems

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

Reset Windows? Are you kidding me :)? It works without any problem with 22.0.0.6 WHQL driver from WU. Moreover earlier I've had AX200 and there hasn't been that iusse no matter what driver I've been using. As far as I know there was sleep/wake problems in the past with Intel drivers and their WIFI cards.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Karelott, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
HKlum
Valued Contributor I

"I think there is something wrong with current Intel drivers."

There is something wrong with Intel's WiFi and Bluetooth drivers since YEARS. YEARS. Every 2 months or so comes a new driver out, since years now. Every time you can read in the change logs, that they "tried" to fix some instabilities with the drivers. I say "tried" because it more seems to be an never ending nightmare.

I cant remember a single change log over the last 3 years or so, which didn't try to fix a blue screen issue, or a WiFi/Bluetooth regression issue.

I cant remember, when the WiFi was 100% stable with Intel drivers. Either you have some performance regression that over time, the WiFi link becomes slower or more unstable, or that you have not working WiFi auto reconnects, mostly after standby wake-ups or after Windows restart. Or randomly the link just crashes and reconnects, or Bluetooth devices interference with WiFi and you have some lags or latency issues. And so on, and so on.

Seems like a developer hell in Intel's driver department to get their WiFi and Bluetooth products working finally 100% reliable.

However, to the topic of this post:

Where do you use that AX210 card, a desktop with PCIe adapter, or a laptop? If you use it in a (newer) laptop, it is normal the energy tab is "missing", because the laptop uses  modern standby under Windows 10. You are NOT allowed to change those settings. Windows manages that. If you disable modern standby and get the power tab where you cal select "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" you're mostly interference with the driver which is not compatible with non modern standby devices anymore.

Most people are not aware about this and how modern standby works under Windows and what it means to deactivate it and what consequences it has. Switching from modern standby to S3 is not supported by MS and will cause some unforeseen glitches, like the problem described in this post.

The "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is a relic, which is most of the time hidden, on modern standby devices. It will just show for a few devices, and/or if you disable modern standby. Switching to non modern standby will cause issues like the problem descried in this post, because newer drivers are not compatible anymore with the old non modern standby procedure.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

The AX200 is installed in my X470 box and the AX210 is stuffed in my X570 box. I have advanced antennas for them as metal interference from chassis and even furniture affected signals at 5 Ghz and 6 GHz.

Laptops have antennas in the lid where the LCD is found. They are placed behind the LCD. Depending on the laptop the choice of WiFi card is driven by illegal whitelists and the form factor in use.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I know it is off-topic, but do you have a link to the advanced antenna? I have several desktop machines with the AX200 and am interested in alternative antenna choices.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

look on fleabay for wifi antennas the good ones are more expensive 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Karelott, I just wanted to check if you saw the information I posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Karelott
Beginner

There is a new issue.. Blue screen "Wait" with a spinning circle during logging on with WIFI autoconnect enabled. Intel AX210 with the latest drivers. With WIFI autoconnect disabled that issue doesn't exist.

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

Wait with spinning circle is a problem with windows, best corrected by windows reset 

0 Kudos