Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Antenna connector for 9560NGW wifi card?

idata
Employee

I have the Intel 9560NGW wifi card, which is for the M2 connector on my motherboard (Type E). What is the name or size of the antenna connectors on this card, please? They are small, but do not seem to fit the antennas I found with tiny connectors. If someone can suggest particular antennas for it, preferably that can go to the outside of a case, that would be even better.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello DanMagoo,

Thanks for posting in our community. We understand that you're looking for information regarding the antennas for an Intel® Wireless-AC 9560.

Antenna information for wireless cards is not available for end users. These details are provided to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) in order for them to install the adapters on their systems.

Please bear in mind that Intel does not support, nor recommends custom integration of wireless adapters since this may lead to installation errors, connection issues, software error messages, and in some cases it may even be illegal. Please https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html contact your OEM for further assistance. For more information, please check the following advisory:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html?_ga=1.33281086.1415059657.1457358642 Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Currently, the only supported retail wireless adapter is https://ark.intel.com/products/123742/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265-Desktop-Kit Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
idata
Employee

Eugenio, thanks for the info, although I cannot say it is very satisfactory -- at least now I know. (or, at least I know that it is a secret) Seems to me that New Egg, where I bought this, really, REALLY should make this clear in their listing! Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

The 9560 is a two part solution with part of the function on certain motherboards, what you should have gotten is the 9260 which is functionally the same but is a one part solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aivxtla, Thanks for this interesting info. I checked the 9260, but my concern with it is that the connector looks different than the Key E, which is what I have on my mobo, an AsRock Z370 Extreme4. Other users report problems trying to fit cards that aren't specifically Key E into that mobo's M2 wifi slot, which is one reason I thought I needed the form-factor of the 9560. The 9260 has that extra gap in the row of teeth, which I think (?) the Key type E doesn't have. If you think that doesn't matter, I would still consider buying it, as I like the idea of the M2 wifi card.

0 Kudos
MBred1
Beginner

I just came to the Intel Support community with a similar question. In my case I have bought the Intel Wireless-AC 9260 which fits just fine (and works) on my ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 board. So I'm hoping that answers part of your question. This card does indeed fit into the M.2 key E slot.

The issue for me is the antenna pigtails. I can't find information about the connectors. I bought one set that was correct, but the wire was stiff and the space on the mobo was too tight, so ultimately I snapped the connector off the pigtail. In trying to find a more pliable connector, I'm now into my 3rd set with no luck.

0 Kudos
alsta
Beginner

The 9560NGW wifi card has two MHF4 A=1.5 mm radius male connectors. Choose the appropriate U.FL type female connector with flexible wire.

0 Kudos
RBalk
Novice

It's a U.FL type connector and you would need a RP-SMA to U.FL cable. This is a really small connector so it is best to be installed by a competent and experienced person familiar with and working experience with these connectors. It isn't hard to break the connector. Now, I have experience with these connectors on other RF devices. The reason I suggest this type of cable is is you can use that type of cable to a back plate to allow you allow you to use a regular WiFi antenna.

The more technical matters: The legal issue that the Intel employee mentioned is when you are boosting the antenna or otherwise using it at a dBm level above that which is authorized by FCC without requiring an FCC license such as the Amateur Radio license (Ham radio license). dBm can be calculated into watts to determine maximum wattage of RF output. Normal non-boosted Wifi antennas do not exceed that level. When I mean boosted, I mean using a 2.4 GHz RF signal booster in between the WiFi module and the antenna. Basically they are linear amplifiers much like the ones used back in the old CB days but usually much smaller but still have the output power to exceed FCC limits on this radio frequency spectrum for unlicensed users. These modules may violate laws in other countries and are certified for use in the U.S. unless you get it in another country for use in that country. Each country has their own equivalent of the FCC. So be mindful of the RF laws and regulations of the countries you are in or visiting. I expect a lot of countries to have made some of the channels of the 2.4 GHz Wifi spectrum available but not necessarily all of them. Each country makes their own rules after all. As for the legal issue around the U.FL connector, makes little sense to me within the U.S. context. The legal stuff are always technical in nature.

0 Kudos