Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Antennas for AX210

Li5
Beginner
I have Intel AX210 with malfunctioning antenna inside my laptop.

1. Where can I buy 2 laptop patch antennas for AX210?

2. If I buy a patch antenna, is it safe to keep it outside of laptop and tape it to the back of the screen? What's the worst that can happen? Can something short circuit? Or I I must glue it properly inside and ensure no short circuiting possibly?

3. Out of curiosity: can I buy "Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit" and connect this antenna to my laptop's AX210 (keeping it outside obviously)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You should be discussing these issues with your laptop manufacturer.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Li5
Beginner

Can you please elaborate why is that?

Does the antenna choice depend on the laptop manufacturer in anyway? Is motherboard and firmware (BIOS) involved somehow? I thought AX210 accepts some standard antenna.

I can send my laptop for warranty check but I'd like to avoid that because I'd have to wipe my SSD and waste weeks of time. So, it's better to just test another antenna or a few by myself.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Because they built the laptop and are responsible for all integration.

Besides, you paid them for support when you purchased the laptop.

0 Kudos
Li5
Beginner

Ok... that's not very helpful, it's 0 useful information. What if my laptop is out of warranty? I can only test it on my own then.

I replaced AX210 with another Wi-Fi card that is confirmed to be working and it didn't help, so now I want to simply swap an antenna. Is there any problem with that? It's detachable, so it's meant to be swapped, so my question is fully valid.

Let's consider sending for warranty:

- I have to wipe my SSD

- I have to find package for laptop, order courier and wait for pickup

- I have to wait 2 weeks without a laptop (I don't have any replacement)

- It can get broken in transportation or they can break something during testing

- In the end they may say it works because it somewhat works (I get like 100 kb/s speeds and many disconnects)

So, no thanks, I'd rather do whatever I can by myself before sending it anywhere, so I'm only interested in answers to my questions. If it's indeed dangerous to do it on my own then I will send it only then.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I said consult with your laptop manufacturer, not send the laptop to them.

Do what you want.  I have given you the answer.

0 Kudos
Li5
Beginner

What you wrote doesn't answer anything that I asked:

1. Where can I get AX210 compatible antennas?

2. What's the worst that can happen?

3. Is the antenna from "Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit" compatible?

The answers I want can be for example like this:

1. The antennas you need depend heavily on the laptop. They are influenced by the motherboard, and firmware, so we can't give anything specific. [Or: Most Wi-Fi 6 patch antennas will work, so get something from ebay.]

2. Yes, it can short circuit and burn the motherboard. [Or: It's unlikely to short circuit and do any damage, at worst it will have no connectivity.]

3. Yes, you can connect the antenna from this kit outside of your laptop. [Or: No, it won't work.]

My recommendation: Consult the manufacturer of your laptop if possible because there are many laptop-specific factors involved.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The answer can also be like this:  Consult with your laptop manufacturer for integration and compatibility.

0 Kudos
Li5
Beginner

Lol, can you please delete your posts and leave my topic?

This is not useful to me or any future user visiting this post.

We need as comprehensive and as high quality answers as possible and not SPAM.

I will consult with my laptop's manufacturer indeed but I'm also gathering information from multiple sources to be certain.

More information is better, isn't it?

Where is any guarantee that my laptop's manufacturer has competent support people? Support people are not engineers.

Gathering information from intel.com (Wi-Fi card manufacturer) is therefore recommended as well.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have given you the answer.   Intel made your card, but your laptop manufacturer built the laptop.  You have no support from Intel.  Your warranty, if any, is with your laptop manufacturer.  Any iintegration, especially with wifi, is the responsibility of the laptop manufacturer.

With all the time you have wasted thus far, you could have contacted the laptop manufacturer.

Enough of this.

0 Kudos
Li5
Beginner

1. Firstly, Intel is the manufacturer of my laptop's: PROCESSOR, CHIPSET, GPU, WIFI CARD and many other components, so Intel is in fact the manufacturer of 80% of my laptop.

- So, I'm on the manufacturer's website right now.

- Only Intel knows how their own Wi-Fi card works.

- So, what that my laptop's manufacturer integrated the card? They didn't design it and I'm asking general design questions.

2. I have no support from Intel but Intel created a community forum where users can ask questions for free. Maybe not every question will be answered. But I think a comprehensive and high quality answer to my question would be useful to many future users.

- Many users would indeed decide to contact the manufacturer only

- But some would like to know something about the physics and electronics of their equipment - e.g. can connecting a different antenna cause problems or is it highly unlikely? It's a good question for this exact forum.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Li5,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand that you have some inquiries related to the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+).

I would like to share with you some information:

1. The manufacturer of the laptop (HP, MSI, Dell, Acer, etc) take different components like CPU, graphics, and the wireless card (could be from Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc) and installed them on their system.

2. The manufacturer of the laptop, takes the different components on their system and performs customization to their drivers to make sure that they will be fully compatible with the BIOS and motherboard (the motherboard and laptop are usually built by the same manufacturer).

3. Since you are asking about the compatibility, settings, and installation of the antennas I recommend you to check this with the manufacturer of the laptop due to the reasons previously shared.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos