Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Auto update of Intel-AC 3165 fails with fatal error

GBroo5
Beginner

On a Dell Inspirion 15-3567:

• Received Windows notification that 2 updates were available from Intel
  • Opened Intel SupportAssist and downloaded 2 updates for the 3165 Wireless adapter
  • Bluetooth update installed as expected
  • Wireless failed with a fatal error; no other details provided
  • Device Manager for the adapter, General tab, says, "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)"
  • Wireless connection fails
  • Deleted the device and driver in Device Manager; downloaded driver outside of Support of Assist
  • Installation of the driver claims success but network connection is not possible.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GBroo5
Beginner

Given that Dell's Support Assist says the 3165 driver is up-to-date and the Intel Assist does not, I'm going to assume that, in this case, Dell knows better. So my solution is to uninstall the Intel Support Assistant.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello GBroo5,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community. 

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Questions:

just to confirm, Is this a new wireless card integration on your computer?

Was is it working before? (Successful network connection) if yes, was there any recent change?

It's also worth mentioning that Intel® Driver & Support Assistant will try to install Intel® generic drivers, we recommend you to use the drivers provided by your system manufacturer since installing a generic Intel® driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver can cause technical issues. 

You might try the following:

• Perform a Network Reset.
  • Uninstall the Wireless and Bluetooth adapter from Device Manager, and then do a clean installation of the drivers.
  • Make sure you are running the latest Windows build version.

Clean wireless driver installation steps:

• Download the OEM Wireless driver Dell Inspiron 15 3567 19.2.0.1 latest.
  • Download the OEM Bluetooth driver Dell Inspiron 15 3567 21.10.1.1 latest.
  • Go to Device Manager. 
  • Expand the Network Adapters category. 
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 
  • Restart your computer. 
  • Locate the driver you downloaded. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. 

Note:

I was further investigating the error code 56 on device manager it seems that it could be related to a conflict with the third-party VPN installed on the system.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

Thanks for the extensive reply. In answer to your question, the update was not for a new installation but an update for an existing system. I had come to trust the Intel notice of updates since the Dell SupportAssist process had led me into a corrupt user profile and a rash of BSODs. Perhaps the best path is the old adage, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello GBroo5,

Thank you for your response.

I was wondering if the steps previously suggested worked for you?

In case the steps did not work, can you please share the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report and if the system was working before (Successful network connection) was there any recent change? 

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
GBroo5
Beginner

After getting the fatal error (and before your original answer) I had restored a 2 week old system image, so no further steps seemed necessary. I have saved the link to the Dell site for this particular system should I need it in the future. I'm guessing that the SSU report is not useful but I've attached one anyway.

Thanks again for your attention to this issue. Let me know if I can provide any more information.

George

0 Kudos