Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Blue screen bugcode_NDIS when windows tries to install 9260 adapter on win 10 x64 x299 core i9 7960x

idata
Employee

New build, fresh win 10 x64 install on core i9 7960x system, with motherboard that supports m.2 key e wifi. installed intel 9260 m.2, wasn't recognized at first, but after windows update (which crashed with BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER after installing intel proset wireless drivers) bluetooth from the adapter was recognized, but wifi was not. in device manager, there is a "!" in the icon to the left of the device name "intel wireless-ac 9260" and the device status (in properties) says "windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code 56). there is no wireless adapter in my network adapters, but there is one for bluetooth. uninstalling the intel wireless-ac 9260 network adapter, deleting the currently installed drivers, and reinstalling the latest intel proset wireless drivers for the 9260 (20.50.0) gives the same blue screen crash with the same BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER. I've tried drivers 20.4.0, 20.30.1, 20.10.2, and 20.0.2. All drivers intel provides for the intel wireless-ac 9260 cause a blue screen after installation with BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER, and upon restart the wifi adapter does not work. Really disappointed i have all this new hardware but can't get the intel wireless-ac 9260 to work.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ahunter85,

We understand your system is crashing to a blue screen after trying to install the drivers for your Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 on Windows® 10.

- Have you checked with your computer or motherboard manufacturer to confirm the wireless adapter is supported by your motherboard?

- Are you installing your OS using a fresh image (versions 1709 or 1803), or an older Windows® 10 release and then updating?

- Have you tried installing the driver without including the PROSet software?

To install your wireless drivers without any additional software, follow these steps:

1. Download, save and extract the latest IT Admin drivers package for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27751/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?v=t WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Open Device Manager, and locate your wireless adapter. Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software."

3. Select to "Browse my computer for driver software," then point the wizard to the location where you extracted the compressed package (example: C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Downloads\Silent\WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10)

If this does not help, please share an Intel® System Support Utility report:

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just performed another fresh install of windows 10. I downloaded the latest windows media creation tool from microsoft, built a windows 10 boot/install usb drive, and after windows setup I performed your steps exactly:

your steps were:

To install your wireless drivers without any additional software, follow these steps:

1. Download, save and extract the latest IT Admin drivers package for your adapter: WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Open Device Manager, and locate your wireless adapter. Right click on it and choose "Update Driver Software."

3. Select to "Browse my computer for driver software," then point the wizard to the location where you extracted the compressed package (example: C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Downloads\Silent\WiFi_20.50.0_Driver64_Win10)

The computer crashed during the driver installation with blue screen BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER. The adapter, which now reads "intel wireless-ac 9260" has "!" in the icon next to it, and the device status says "windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56).

There is no wifi functionality as the system could not install/initialize the driver/adapter, like all the other attempts. Again, the 9260's bluetooth works if I install the intel bluetooth drivers... it is only the wireless part of the 9260 that is causing issues.

The motherboard should be compatible, it is an x299 socket motherboard, running your company's flagship core i9 processor 7960x. the key is the same on the m.2 wifi module port on the motherboard and the intel wireless 9260 card. the windows installation is windows 10 x64, with the latest april 2018 update. I did not install any older images of windows 10, and I do not have any older images to install from.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ahunter85,

Your SSU report already shows the latest driver as installed, is the system crashing as is?

Could you also share the BSOD crash dump files located in your root folder? These are usually named Minidump or MEMORY.DMP. You may need to upload this log to a file sharing service and share the link if they're too large.

Please make sure that you're running the latest BIOS version: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299%20Extreme4/index.asp# BIOS https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299%20Extreme4/index.asp# BIOS

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

However, we do highly recommend checking with your motherboard manufacturer, as they're the only ones who can validate hardware compatibility: https://event.asrock.com/tsd-networking.asp ASROCK* Support Request Form (networking).

Keep in mind that for desktop systems, we manufacture the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-8265-desktop-kit-brief.html Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Carlos,

As I said above, the device status says "windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)"

Even though it says there is a driver for this adapter, it has not finished setting up, and it will not because it keeps crashing my system when it tries to finish. as a result, wireless does not show up in my available network adapters. no wireless functionality from the 9260 right now.

I tried both the initial bios and the latest bios for the x299 extreme 4. these are bios versions 1.0 and 1.3. on both versions, same exact issues.

I have reached out to ASRock and am waiting for their response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

here is a link to the memory dump file when i tried to install the latest intel wireless driver for the 9260.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gkyt9k646g5guk/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gkyt9k646g5guk/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Someone suggested sealing one of the pins on the wifi module, like this...

Is this safe to do or will this damage the m.2 wifi module port on the motherboard, or damage the 9260?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ahunter85,

Our best recommendation at this point will be to wait until your motherboard manufacturer is able to confirm hardware compatibility.

We've had some similar cases where the users were able to get a Beta BIOS release for their motherboard, which effectively resolved the crashes.

As far as taping that pin goes, we've seen similar fixes in the past for our legacy HMC (half mini card PCIe) models. For example: /thread/51030 Intel 7260 AC Wifi adapter not recognized. However, we haven't seen similar workarounds for M.2 adapters.

It's important to keep in mind that any such modifications are not officially supported, and while we'd be happy to hear your results, you will need to proceed with caution, and under your own risk.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos