Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

Bluetooth driver stopped working after updating:

AO0001
Novice

Windows updated to a new build version (1903) [OS: Win 10 64bit)

This also updated my bluetooth driver (which previously appeared in Device Manager as "Intel (R) Wireless (R) Bluetooth".

This completely killed my bluetooth driver in that it is no longer displayed in my device manager and I have lost all bluetooth functionality. I happen to use a bluetooth speaker and now have no audio for my PC.

I DON'T KNOW what the original driver version wasfor my bluetooth device. My network adapater displayed is "Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" and is working fine.

What I did is rollback the windows BUILD to (1803) and this is the current state of my PC. This re-instated my old bluetooth drivers and it was working fine. In anticipation of a future update I "right clicked my bluetooth device and selected 'Update Driver'" After updating the drivers sadly I encountered the same problem.

Because I do not know what my old bluetooth version was I can't rollback to it. All of the drivers available on the Intel site for bluetooth v. 20+ do not seem to work. Can someone help please on what to do in this situation?

--SOLVED--

I navigated to my mobos support page with drivers,

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z87N-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

Downloaded the win 8.1 bluetooth driver, installed it and now it is working again just fine. I am aware there is a vulnerability that was discovered with these oudated bluetooth drivers but frankly no one is going to be breaking into my desktop in my home so I don't care. Hopefully Microsoft or Intel will release working drivers in the near future because I am using rickity ol' ones from 2013.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a known problem with the upgrade to 1903. Install this upgrade again. Once on 1903 and all updates installed, follow this procedure:

1. Download the latest Wireless and Bluetooth installation packages from the Intel Download Center. Here are shortcuts: Bluetooth: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29004/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=72252, Wireless: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28752/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=72252.
  2. Completely disconnect the machine from the Internet. Unplug your Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless.
  3. From Apps and Features, uninstall both the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages.
  4. Reboot, keeping Internet disconnected.
  5. Install the Bluetooth package that you downloaded earlier. Important that Bluetooth be first.
  6. Install the Wireless package that you download earlier. Important that Wireless be last.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Reconnect internet.
  9. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AO0001
Novice

Thank you Scott for your assistance.

I am running into a consistent problem when following your steps. Here is how things proceed,

1. I disable internet on my pc
  2. uninstall both bluetooth and wireless packages
  3. reboot with internet disconnected
  4. install bluetooth package
  5. attempt to install the wireless package. But the instalation just hangs. After an hour I forced quit it (hitting cancel also just hangs). :(

I will try removing the drivers from the device manager as well and hopefully it will work. Thank you for your help nonthelesss.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, do not remove via Device Manager; there is associated software which will not get removed that way. In general, you should never remove this way​.

I have never seen a hang at this​ point. Try inserting an extra reboot after installing the BT driver package.

...S

0 Kudos
AO0001
Novice

Thanks I'll give that a try. Forgot to mention that I did roll-forward the build to 1903 before doing any of the steps.

0 Kudos
AO0001
Novice

I have attempted doing a restart after installing just the bluetooth package but the installation still hangs. Specifically it hands at the

"Installing Intel (r) Wifi Link Driver..."

The thing is, after I force quit the installation process (because hitting cancel doesn't do anything) the package will appear in my "Apps and Features" allowing me to uninstall it. It is really strange that it is having this hang-up issue because I had installed it before without issues. A noteable difference in this broken attempt of an installation is I am not asked to restart my computer even after I uninstall the package.

It doesn't feel great coming home from work only to have to deal with this issue, if anyone else has any advice I am all ears. Thank you all for your help.

0 Kudos
BBOUR4
Beginner

hi, I follow the procedure. It works a few seconds (The activation bluetooth button re-appair) but after trying to associate a device, it doesn't work and the button disappear . So It's seems not working finally. Have you another idea or a correction , a new driver version of Bluetooth ? best bruno

0 Kudos
AO0001
Novice

I came across the following article,

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi-fi-and-bluetooth-not-working-after-windows-10-may-2019-update-heres-how-to-fix-it/

About incompatible qualcom drivers unless they are v.10 + . Could this be related because my ethernet ports are qualcom (pci-e slot). I will try updating this to the recommended version and see if that helps.

--EDIT--

I would just like to add some additional details.

My motherboard is "GA-Z87N-WiFi" by Gigabyte. Their website simply lists this for the networking

• Supports Intel® WiFi/ WIDI technology
  • Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Intel® Wi-Fi module
  1. Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, supporting 2.4 GHz Single-Band
  2. Bluetooth 4.0, 3.0+HS, 2.1+EDR

Sadly it is not obvious what the manufacturer is of the bluetooth module, maybe it isn't intel >___<.

0 Kudos
AO0001
Novice

SOLVED

I navigated to my mobos support page with drivers,

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z87N-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver-wlanbt

Downloaded the win 8.1 bluetooth driver, installed it and now it is working again just fine. I am aware there is a vulnerability that was discovered with these oudated bluetooth drivers but frankly no one is going to be breaking into my desktop in my home so I don't care. Hopefully Microsoft or Intel will release working drivers in the near future because I am using rickity ol' ones from 2013.

BBOUR4
Beginner

hi, any help for AC8265 (Xiaomi Notebook pro) ? I have the same problem since windows update .

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel
Employee

Hello BBOUR4,

I recommend creating a new thread to isolate you case and system configuration, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, detail information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Esteban Ch.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos