Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can I control roaming associations per minute?

AdamJoz
Beginner

Hi, what I've observed based on the number of DHCP renewals for roaming users is that when user is walking with the laptop, especially in large areas like warehouses, they can generate 500 DHCP requests per minute. It turned out it's because of roaming between two AP. My question is whether we can stop this indefinite loop of reconnections between AP - is there any possible limit?

I know there is Roaming Aggressiveness Setting, but it doesn't help too much as per my tests when WiFi signal is very weak or computer behind some metal wall.

It happends on may network cards like AC 9560 or AX201 as an example.

And no, it's not possible to enforce it on Windows if you would like to bounce the ball to Microsoft

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

We understand that you have already tried changing the Wi-Fi Roaming Aggressiveness Setting. However, you can check the article with information about this setting. You may find important information: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005546/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html).

Remember that considerations have to be taken when there are walls, metals, or other devices that might interfere with the connectivity.

For DHCP configurations, we recommend checking with their Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), as that is managed at the Operating System level.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AdamJoz
Beginner

Yes, I have read it. The problem is not only to reduce roaming agressivness but to stop intdefinite loop of reassociations in some extreme conditions. Without it all systems above (Access Points, DHCP servers, Radius servers) suffers from additional load.

I've already checked with Microsoft support - it's not possible to establish such limit on OS level. DHCP client triggers new request every time network is down.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

As I stated before, the DHCP configuration relies on the Operating System. On our end, there are no modifications that we can suggest at the wireless card level to control the roaming associations. Since Microsoft has stated that it is not possible to limit at the OS level, my suggestion would be to contact the OEM for your Access Points to confirm if they have any suggestions to solve your issue.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AdamJoz
Beginner

Thank you.

May I know the thresholds (signal strenght difference between two AP) when roaming is triggered based on different Roaming Aggressiveness settings? (RSSI level?) 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

Thanks for your response.

I am not sure if I follow your questions. However, I will try to answer it. Let me know if it doesn't respond to your queries.

The RSSI will only perform periodic scans for other available APs when the current AP's signal strength is low. Also, here is information about the Roaming Aggressiveness:

• Lowest: The WiFi adapter will trigger a roaming scan for another candidate AP when the signal strength with the current AP is very low.
  • Medium-Low 
  • Medium: Recommended value.
  • Medium-High
  • Highest: The WiFi adapter will trigger a roaming scan for another candidate AP when the signal strength with the current AP is still good.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
AdamJoz
Beginner

My question was very simple
What does it mean signal strength is Medium, Low, Lowest etc

I understand network driver uses precise values and logic before roaming decision is made?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed and check the issue internally and post back soon with more details one more time.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello AdamJoz,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

After checking your issue, I confirm that there is no option from our software side to modify roaming aggressiveness. Mainly, you should focus on your local environmental details like walls and additional objects that are reducing the signal strength.

DHCP renewals are not something WIFI software can manage but the OS.

In addition to that, AP configuration can have a lot of influence on performance.

I recommend running a wireless survey to detect low signal spots and redesign your network structure.

RSSI levels are not publicly available, but those follow the IEEE and WIFI alliance. Intel does not recommend modifying these settings.

I hope this information helps you. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information. Please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos