Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Drivers for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card?

SSyno
Novice

Just put a new system together and installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in it. Used Windows 8 Pro. x64. I cannot find drivers for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Anyone know where I can get drivers for this card? I purchased the card from Provantage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Synomenon,

The drivers will be released soon; this is because the product has not been officially released yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
183 Replies
wface
Beginner

Not as of June 30th. I compiled the 3.10 kernel from kernel.org and it still has the old version of the driver and therefore will not find the firmware. You'll need to get and compile the kernel from here: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git - The wireless-testing tree, for continuous integration...

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

compiling wireless-testing is no different then compiling the kernel right?

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

Correct. The only change would be the source. Here's a link to my forum with all the steps I used to compile the wireless kernel. https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179 https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179

I haven't been able to figure out how to get proprietary nVidia drivers to install with that kernel. Probably the same issue with AMD drivers too but I don't know that for sure. Just something to keep in mind.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

I have seen that, thank you though. I am going to go the old fashion route and use make silentoldconfig, make, make modules_install install. This seems to work best with custom built kernels on Ubuntu...

I will let you know if the Nvidia drivers work. I do need them for Bumblebee.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Another quick question:

What option in the config file is specifically for the 7260?

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

You mean the kernel config? I'm not sure. When I compiled, I didn't have to specifically enable the iwlwifi drivers. The driver itself is, within the kernel source folder /drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-7000. You'll also need a copy of the firmware file and put it in /lib/firmware. Let me know if you need a copy and I'll attach it in the thread I linked above as it doesn't look like attaching things here is possible.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

I have the .ucode file already. Thank You. I guess I will just have to search the .config file a bit more....

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Its called IWLWIFI in the config file by the way.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

A side note: I built the kernel and I was able to build the nvdia drivers using dkms.

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

That's interesting. It must be because of the method you used. I compiled wireless-testing and the mainline kernel from kernel.org and neither would run the nVidia driver. Both dkms and sgfxi failed to find a screen or the nVidia module. I'll try your method of "silentoldconfig, make, make modules_install install", etc.

0 Kudos
LT1
Novice

@ryanvade,

Glad you were able to get the 7260 & NVIDIA drivers working. I'm probably going to attempt this sometime in the next few days. If you can give a quick summary, I'd appreciate it, as I haven't done any kernel compilations yet myself.

I'm getting a Crucial M500 480GB SSD to replace 2 older SSDs (Samsung 830 256GB & Crucial M4 MSATA 256 GB) I will sell on eBay once I'm all set up, so it'd be the perfect time to try to set up Ubuntu w/ the new wireless drivers. I might even try WIndows 8 if the wireless drivers for WIn7 haven't been released by then.... which I assume they won't be.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

A quick summary, of course:

1. Download wireless-tesing in /usr/src

2. cd to wireless-testing and make mrproper

3. copy the latest config from /boot and rename it .config in wireless-testing

4. run make silentoldconfig You will then have some choices to make, only what new options that are not in the old kernel.

5. make -j # where # is the amount of jobs you want.

6. sudo make modules_install install

You should then reboot into the new kernel and:

sudo dkms autoinstall

Reboot again.

I should also mention that I am using nvidia-319 from ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates and bumblebee from ppa:bumblebee/testing .

0 Kudos
PSmit14
Novice

I feel your pain. Like a fool I purchased the card thinking the Win 8 x64 driver would work on my Win 7 x64 Notebook as Win 7 x64 Drivers have worked on my Win 8 x64 box, after trying for a few hours I found this thread and could NOT believe it.

I have been using Intel since the 8088/8086 days and still can't believe I am checking here daily for drivers!

They have released Linux and Win 8 x64 drivers but in a month no Win 7 drivers?

I use Win 8 daily, I purchased a start button program for 5 bucks and it works perfect in desktop mode, but it is not ready for my notebook at a customers location or for my Supervisor. I will not pay 200 bucks for a half baked OS to try and run on my laptop.

The US Government just upgraded to Win 7 from XP, Win 7 x64 will be around a LOT longer then Win 8, the US Government had XP's life extended how many times?

Get a CLUE Intel! The US Government PAYS EXTRA to NOT have Win 8 installed but to have Win 7 x64 Installed on brand new out of the box PC's. You think maybe THEY know something

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

Not to derail this subject but if the U.S. knew something, they'd be using Linux.

Anyway, I'm going to try recompiling the wireless-testing git kernel and use the config from the Liquorix kernel I'm currently running. Sort of a hybrid of the method I used previously and the method ryanvade posted. Hopefully that will give me both the Intel wireless and nVidia drivers.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Using the liquorix config might cause you issues. You will need to remove any liquorix specific options.

I don't use Windows very often. Maybe once or twice a month. BUT WE WERE TOLD WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS WOULD BE RELEASED BY NOW.

This is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
PSmit14
Novice

Not safe to put a electronics engineer on a compiler, we wreck things. Last time I coded is when Turbo Pascal was new.

Best OS I have had in decades was on my Sun Sparc, some flavor of Unix, but that has been a long time. Most of the EE tools back in the day were on DOS but I preferred DR-DOS, started moving out of engineering by the time Windoz was mainstream. Tried to run a half a dozen people office on linux once, total disaster.

Except for the SPARC, everything else was Wintel which seems is owned by Microsoft now.......

Mr. Intel, Any updates on Windows 7 drivers?

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

Okay, I've compiled the wireless-testing kernel several times using different methods and I can't seem to get both Intel ac7260 and nVidia drivers. It's either or. I suspect this is yet one more peculiarity of the ASUS G73 series.

I could use nouveau but that's simply not an option for me. nouveau doesn't support frequency scaling and that means HEAT because my GTX 460M would run full throttle all the time. Besides, nouveau font rendering is absolutely horrifying to behold.

Since I'm sick of having a USB taken up by my wireless dongle, I've put my old Atheros wifi card back in. I suspect the Intel driver for this should be hitting the mainline kernel soon and therefore start filtering down to the OS's within the next two months or so.

In fact, I just checked kernel.org. Stable 3.10.1 was released on the 13th and mainline 3.11-rc1 was released yesterday. I'm going to grab both and see if the proper driver is there. If so, the Liquorix kernel and Ubuntu both should have things ready to go in a few weeks.

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

3.10.1 still has the 6 API. 3.11-rc1 has the 7 version. Perhaps in the next few days, I'll try sticking the 3.11-rc1 iwl7000.c into the 3.10.1 kernel and compile from there. If that works, regardless of nVidia drivers, I'll send some emails out to people that may care to know. Maybe that will speed up proper Linux integration.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

I can't get this card to work on my Ubuntu 13.04 system. I put the .ucode file in /lib/firmware and am using the wireless-testing kernel. For some reason I cannot get wireless at all. The wireless function keyboard button keeps flashing. Bluetooth is working though... Any ideas?

*-network UNCLAIMED description: Network controller product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0 version: 63 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list configuration: latency=0
0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

That's essentially the same thing I recall seeing when I ran lshw. Nothing looks wrong to me, anyway.

Have you checked to see if Network Manager has wireless enabled? I've seen it randomly disable it, in the past, with Ubuntu. Right click> Enable Wireless. Although the flashing LED is odd and makes me tend to think NM isn't the problem.

The only other suggestion I have right now is to purge the wireless-testing kernel image and headers from your system and recompile using the method I used. https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179 https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179 with either the wireless-testing or 3.11-rc1 from kernel.org

Or you might try patching a kernel you know to be working and configured correctly. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg108912.html [PATCH] iwlwifi: add firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices (Linux Wireless)

And some patching instructions, in case you need it. They're a bit dated but I rather doubt that matters.

http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/tuning/kernelpatch.shtml Linux Headquarters: Applying a Kernel Patch

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Wireless is not an option in Network Manager. So, I am rebuilding wireless-testing (using the other tutorial ) and am building 3.11-rc1(which I was going to do anyway. I always build the newest kernel).

Just for reference: lspci

0a:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 08b1 (rev 63)

0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller ( rev 07)

dmesg | grep intel

[ 24.882215] Bluetooth: hci0 failed to open Intel firmware file: intel/ibt-hw-37.7.10-fw-1.80.2.3.d.bseq(-2)

[ 24.883334] Bluetooth: hci0 failed to open default Intel fw file: intel/ibt-hw-37.7.bseq

dmesg | grep iwlwifi

[ 22.805255] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: irq 46 for MSI/MSI-X

[ 22.806873] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-7260-6.ucode' failed.

[ 22.806876] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: no suitable firmware found!

0 Kudos