Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SSyno
Novice

Drivers for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card?

Jump to solution

Just put a new system together and installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in it. Used Windows 8 Pro. x64. I cannot find drivers for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Anyone know where I can get drivers for this card? I purchased the card from Provantage.

0 Kudos
183 Replies
BBrad4
Novice

I had to upgrade a company notebook to Windows 7 from Win8. Win8 was unusable and the user flatly rejected it and asked for their 10 year old notebook with XP back. I've been instructed than any new computer purchase must be upgraded to Windows 7. I know Microsoft is heavily invested in the Win8 mistake but I would hope that Intel would at least have a beta driver for an OS that people use like Windows 7. When can I expect a Windows 7 beta driver or a final?

ROwen2
New Contributor I

Has no one heard from an Intel rep?

ESavi
Beginner

Heh, does this surprise you?

DElli7
Beginner

I have a Toshiba 3rd gen I7 processor with Win 8 pro. I was able to download and install the proper driver for the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and it works like a champ.

However, I do not know how to get the Bluetooth function to work.

I've attempted to execute the bluetooth file 2.6.1212 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22572 Download Center, however, it appears that the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is NOT compatible with this software. I also try to load in a standard Bluetooth 4.0 driver; however the hardware CANNOT be found. I have gone to the Toshiba OEM site to download Bluetooth drivers and software; however, they are NOT able to read the hardware.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ROwen2
New Contributor I

From what has been said before, Win 8 has generic Bluetooth drivers that work with the card. You have to use them.

ROwen2
New Contributor I

No, this does not surprise me. But Intel did say win 7 drivers would be available by now. I wonder what is going on?

DElli7
Beginner

The software works, but the Device Manager is not able to find the Bluetooth hardware. It finds the Network Device, just fine, but no Bluetooth.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step instruction to manually locate the driver to activate the integrated Bluetooth device within the card?

BBrad4
Novice

When I tried to use the Intel drivers on Win7, Bluetooth is the only thing that worked and installed. The device manager found the hardware and did what it's supposed to do.

Perhaps Intel mixed up the driver build by providing the AC 7260 driver for Win8 and the Bluetooth for Win7. Whatever Intel needs drivers for both Win7 and Win8 that work.

wface
Beginner

Technically, they didn't. They said the ac7260 itself would be available for Q2. They never actually claimed anything about 7 drivers being ready anymore precisely than "soon".

Now that I'm done playing devil's advocate, I will say that this is a joke. Ignore, for the moment, that I utterly despise Windows and everything MS stands for and refuse to use any of their products. Manufacturers announcing a product will be ready, by a certain point, implies that the product will have drivers to go along with it. The fact that Intel has left over 50% of Windows users in the lurch with this is completely unacceptable. That they're marketing the ac7260 as OEM is even worse. Not only is Intel essentially telling the consumer to get bent, they're also telling manufacturers the same thing. Not even ASUS (my favorite hardware company), who are notorious for releasing products with buggy, half baked, and occasionally useless firmware and drivers, ever pulled a stunt like this, as far as I know. No driver at all. Totally absurd!

wface
Beginner

Okay, I've compiled the wireless-testing kernel several times using different methods and I can't seem to get both Intel ac7260 and nVidia drivers. It's either or. I suspect this is yet one more peculiarity of the ASUS G73 series.

I could use nouveau but that's simply not an option for me. nouveau doesn't support frequency scaling and that means HEAT because my GTX 460M would run full throttle all the time. Besides, nouveau font rendering is absolutely horrifying to behold.

Since I'm sick of having a USB taken up by my wireless dongle, I've put my old Atheros wifi card back in. I suspect the Intel driver for this should be hitting the mainline kernel soon and therefore start filtering down to the OS's within the next two months or so.

In fact, I just checked kernel.org. Stable 3.10.1 was released on the 13th and mainline 3.11-rc1 was released yesterday. I'm going to grab both and see if the proper driver is there. If so, the Liquorix kernel and Ubuntu both should have things ready to go in a few weeks.

wface
Beginner

3.10.1 still has the 6 API. 3.11-rc1 has the 7 version. Perhaps in the next few days, I'll try sticking the 3.11-rc1 iwl7000.c into the 3.10.1 kernel and compile from there. If that works, regardless of nVidia drivers, I'll send some emails out to people that may care to know. Maybe that will speed up proper Linux integration.

ROwen2
New Contributor I

I can't get this card to work on my Ubuntu 13.04 system. I put the .ucode file in /lib/firmware and am using the wireless-testing kernel. For some reason I cannot get wireless at all. The wireless function keyboard button keeps flashing. Bluetooth is working though... Any ideas?

*-network UNCLAIMED description: Network controller product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:0a:00.0 version: 63 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list configuration: latency=0
wface
Beginner

That's essentially the same thing I recall seeing when I ran lshw. Nothing looks wrong to me, anyway.

Have you checked to see if Network Manager has wireless enabled? I've seen it randomly disable it, in the past, with Ubuntu. Right click> Enable Wireless. Although the flashing LED is odd and makes me tend to think NM isn't the problem.

The only other suggestion I have right now is to purge the wireless-testing kernel image and headers from your system and recompile using the method I used. https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179 https://openlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,3274.msg108179.html# msg108179 with either the wireless-testing or 3.11-rc1 from kernel.org

Or you might try patching a kernel you know to be working and configured correctly. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg108912.html [PATCH] iwlwifi: add firmware for 7260 / 3160 devices (Linux Wireless)

And some patching instructions, in case you need it. They're a bit dated but I rather doubt that matters.

http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/tuning/kernelpatch.shtml Linux Headquarters: Applying a Kernel Patch

ROwen2
New Contributor I

Wireless is not an option in Network Manager. So, I am rebuilding wireless-testing (using the other tutorial ) and am building 3.11-rc1(which I was going to do anyway. I always build the newest kernel).

Just for reference: lspci

0a:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 08b1 (rev 63)

0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller ( rev 07)

dmesg | grep intel

[ 24.882215] Bluetooth: hci0 failed to open Intel firmware file: intel/ibt-hw-37.7.10-fw-1.80.2.3.d.bseq(-2)

[ 24.883334] Bluetooth: hci0 failed to open default Intel fw file: intel/ibt-hw-37.7.bseq

dmesg | grep iwlwifi

[ 22.805255] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: irq 46 for MSI/MSI-X

[ 22.806873] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-7260-6.ucode' failed.

[ 22.806876] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: no suitable firmware found!

wface
Beginner

ryanvade wrote:

Wireless is not an option in Network Manager.

[ 22.806873] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-7260-6.ucode' failed.

The wireless-testing kernel should be looking for iwlwifi-7.ucode not 6. That's why NM doesn't give a wireless option, It thinks there's no wireless hardware to have options for. Are you sure you booted into the correct kernel? Best guess is that grub wasn't updated after you installed the kernel. I see that happen all the time. The terminal says it's updating grub but when you reboot, there's no new kernel.

I always (at least when I remember to) run sudo update-grub after any kernel installs, updates, etc.

ROwen2
New Contributor I

Yes, I checked the kernel version after booting with uname -a. Correct kernel. Yes, I know it should be using API 7 not 6. Very odd. I just built kernel 3.11-rc1 and rebuilt wireless-testing. Going to try them and see what happens.

ROwen2
New Contributor I

I tried 3.11-rc1 and the wireless-testing kernels. Now I am not getting any firmware errors, but no wireless. AT ALL. But the button is not flashing anymore.

Any ideas?

ROwen2
New Contributor I

I am going to try linux-firmware

wface
Beginner

I don't see how any of the various linux-firmware packages could relate here. However, nothing ventured and all that.

No errors, the firmware file is in it's proper place. From what you've described, it should be working. I'm baffled.

Uhhmm wicd? Maybe? Dunno. Brain... is.... melting... Oh! what a world! What a world!

ROwen2
New Contributor I

Check this out:

modinfo iwlwifi

filename: /lib/modules/3.11.0-rc1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko

license: GPL

author: Copyright(c) 2003-2013 Intel Corporation <</span>mailto:ilw@linux.intel.com ilw@linux.intel.com>

version: in-tree:

description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux

firmware: iwlwifi-100-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-135-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-105-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode

the 7260 firmware is not associated with iwlwifi.