Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7648 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 connects to 802.11g only instead of n with only half download speed

bege
Novice

Hi,

I bought a used Thinkpad T570 with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Wifi adapter. Windows 10 Professional 64 bit is installed, I have tried the Intel drivers 20.70.30.1 (2022-01-13) and 22.200.2.1 (2023-03-09) for the adapter.
Wifi works via an LTE router Speedport LTE II 802.11a/g/n, 2.4GHz (300Mbps) with a Telekom SIM with max. 50Mbps download speed.

My cell phone connects with 802.11n-mode and I always get 40-50Mbps download speed.
However, the T570 only connects with 802.11g (54Mbps) and struggles to reach 20Mbps, no matter how I configure the adapter settings. I first tried the recommended settings for 802.11n connections, but then also various others, e.g. set Wifi mode 802.11n/ac to n-mode and channel width to 20MHz. Always the same result. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter in the device manager.

Attached is a SSU report. It seems to be incomplete, so here is what the Windows settings say:

SSID: (anonymous)
Protokoll: 802.11g
Sicherheitstyp: WPA2-Personal
Netzfrequenzbereich: 2,4 GHz
Netzwerkkanal: 13
Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit (Empfang/Übertragung): 54/54 (Mbps)
Verbindungslokale IPv6-Adresse: fe80::9a48:6ae5:7cd6:395%17
IPv4-Adresse: 192.168.1.100
IPv4-DNS-Server: 192.168.1.1
Hersteller: Intel Corporation
Beschreibung: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
Treiberversion: 20.70.30.1
Physische Adresse (MAC): (anonymous)

What can I do to get the normal internet speed?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @bege 

1. Right click on the WiFi adapter (in the Device Manager, Network section).

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on Advanced tab (to open WiFi adapter  Advanced Settings).

4. Set the value for  "Channel Width for 2.4GHz" and "Channel Width for 5GHz" to Auto (instead of 20MHz only you have now).

5. Click OK to accept the new settings.

6. Check the connection.

Leon

0 Kudos
bege
Novice

Hi @LeonWaksman ,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this doesn't help.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello bege,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

If I may offer input here, please try the recommended settings for 802.11ac connectivity following our article below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/wireless.html

Also, please note that Lenovo ThinkPad T570 is an OEM device, we will try to assist you with general troubleshooting steps even if it’s something not traditionally covered in our support. However, if the issue still persists, you will have to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer of your device. Your device manufacturer may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to some components for better compatibility with your system.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello bege,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
bege
Novice

I tried everything I found on the internet. Meanwhile I sent the device back to the seller to have it checked for a hardware fault.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello bege,

We appreciate the heads-up. Please let us know any updates regarding your system. We will be waiting for your response. Thank you.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel
Employee

Hello bege,

I hope you are doing well. Since we have not heard any feedback regarding our previous post, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos