Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 loss of signal strength

Donny
Beginner

What would cause a sudden loss of signal strength? If the laptop is not very close to a router, there is no WiFi.

It is used in an ASUS Zenbook UX331UA. Driver version 20.70.17.1

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Could one of the antenna leads have fallen off the card?

0 Kudos
Donny
Beginner

Checked that thanks but they are attached.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you have the antenna leads detached at any point? If so, did you put them back on in the opposite positions?

Other possibility is you've had an antenna wire break somewhere. This often happens around the lid hinges

...S

0 Kudos
Donny
Beginner

Thanks. The unit has been in twice already and I am starting to suspect that the wire is broken. Is there a way to test if this is this is the case? To be honest, the service centre is adamant that the IC itself is a goner but I am not so sure.

Appreciate all the help.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, you could replace the module and upgrade all at the same time. Intel has a AX200 module that adds support for Wireless-AX, WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5. It plugs into the same M.2 Type E slot and utilizes the same antenna connections that the Wireless-AC 8265 module does. The same driver installation packages support this module (though you would need to reinstall it). Best of all, the cost is roughly US$25. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/UFON-MU-MIMO-Wirelss-Bluetooth-Support/dp/B07SH6GV5S.

Of course, if the problem is the result of the antenna lead, you will be in essentially the same boat. Unfortunately, I have no idea how you would test this; hopefully an EE reads this and can provide us with an answer.

I just had another thought. I presume you have a smartphone? There are apps that allow you to diagnose wireless issue (like low power). It may be worth running one...

...S

0 Kudos