Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Wireless-n 7260 reduces connection speed after a few minutes

GJohn2
Novice

I have a new Asus notebook with a Dual Wireless-n 7260 wifi network adapter. The notebook has Windows 8.1 64 bit installed, and the bios and drivers are up to date. It is wirelessly connected to my home router. I have a wireless-n connection with 40-mhz channel width with WPA2/AES security settings. The router is 2+ years old, and has the latest firmware installed.

My notebook and my router both initially report a connection speed of 300mbps (which is normal for 802.11n with 40mhz channel width) at the beginning. Then, after a couple of hours, the connection speed drops to 11mbps. No settings have changed on my computer or router. The router works fine for other devices, and has worked fine for over a year. It is not an interference issue, since there are other wireless-n devices on the network which are not affected. The speed never reverts back to 300mbps. I never actually lose a connection. Even at 11mbps, I can browse the internet and my network, just at a slower speed. It seems to be this wifi adapter that is at fault, or most likely, the drivers which are at fault.

If I change the channel width to 20mhz, the connection is stable for at least an entire day. Unfortunately, the lower bandwidth affects other devices on the network and is not a permanent fix.

I have tried every version of the driver that I can find.

• the driver initially bundled with Windows (whatever version it is) -- Connection drops down to 11mbps after a while
  • 16.0.5.3 -- Same, plus the signal strength indicator in the task bar makes it look like I am losing connection, but it isn't actually lost.
  • 16.1.5.2 -- Same
  • 16.5.3.6 -- Same
  • 16.6.0.8 -- Same

In all versions of the drivers, I have followed Intel's recommended settings, as listed here http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking — What are the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity?. There is no difference to the end result.

I am convinced that there is a bug in the drivers that only affects 40-mhz channel width connections. Please advise on what my next steps should be to fix this issue.

21 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

That problem also happens with 20 MHz channel width. In addition, while the adapter is stuck at those "Wireless-G legacy B mode speeds" the 5 GHz band also dies (you won't see any AP broadcasting at 5 GHz). So far, Intel doesn't have any drivers that fix this issue. Also, pinging the router is always erratic where you get ping spikes up to 2000 ms intermittently (with packet loss to boot) resulting to slow webpage load times.

Intel is basically slow to get a stable driver for their WiFi. Just need to wait for the 16.7.x.x drivers to come up for the 7260 series and see if it still does this behavior.

GJohn2
Novice

you're right, it does affect the 20mhz channels too. I just realized that after being on all day. I haven't noticed the 5ghz problem, as I'm on a 2.4ghz network.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry for the inconvenience; we are working on these issues.

We are looking for volunteers to help us testing and debugging drivers, in case you are interested please consider the points explained here: /message/208369# 208369 https://communities.intel.com/message/208369# 208369

MBell12
Beginner

It's been 4 months, any resolution to this issue??

0 Kudos
AFros
Beginner

Hi,

I'd like to add that I'm having the exactly the same issues as GarthJ described, down to connecting at a good rate for an indeterminate amount then an eventual slow-down to between 6-12Mbps which is virtually unusable. If I reset the network adaptor it will then go back up to a healthy 150-300Mbps for a while, before repeating. Sometimes I'll use Windows 7's "Diagnose" network tool which will often identify a different issue as being responsible and rarely giving a consistent reason for the reduction in speed (Problem is modem, DNS, access point?...), but "Diagnose" always ends in auto-restarting the network adaptor and is satisfied that it has fixed the issue. Until of course it slows down minutes or hours later. I'm not seeing any correlation between uptime or data downloaded during 'connection period' so I'm stumped. I have the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 device which is attached to an mITX motherboard (Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI).

Is there any resolution on this issue? I have the latest drivers, and really need this fixed, as I'm not forking out for a PCIE Wireless adaptor while I wait to use Intel's onboard solution (which is why I purchased the motherboard).

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

You'll have to wait for a fix. A temporary solution is to use a dual band N or AC router and connect at 5 GHz only. The drivers are rock stable and fast when connected at 5 GHz band. The issue occurs more likely on 2.4 GHz with a lot of access points and channel interference. While other WiFi adapters can experience interference and slow down, they are able to return to normal speeds when the interference vanishes while the 7260 can't on some occasions. That's why Intel needed more volunteers so they can make a much better drivers.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We have identified a similar issue that will be fixed with Intel® PROSet Wireless Software 17.0.2; this version will be released soon.

If the issue only happens with some AP models it is most likely to be fixed with this update.

Please stay tuned, I appreciate your patience.

0 Kudos
KChen82
Beginner

I just did a clean install of the new 17.0.2 drivers. It still did not solve the problem on my Thinkpad Yoga.

With HT mode enabled I would have terrible connection stability and low speed.

I would get 30-60 ping and a 15mbps download speed on speedtest.net with huge lag spikes during the test, and ultimately it would lose connectivity within an hour.

Once in a blue moon I would get a stable connection with high speed for less than an hour then lose connectivity and no resetting of the adapter would fix it.

With HT mode disabled, I get a steady connection with 3-4 ping and a 20mbps download speed on speedtest.net.

I purchased my Thinkpad Yoga a few months ago and have been dealing with this problem since.

I have tested every version of the drivers I could find for Windows 8.1, namely 16.10.0, 17.0.0, and 17.0.2.

I have also tested every possible configuration in the Advance setting with no success.

It appears that this is a common problem in the 7260 line as there are various posts with many replies on this issue.

This is a huge disappointment, as I am a big fan of Thinkpad and Intel.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can let us know if you guys are still working on this issue as it is still present with the 17.0.2 drivers.

If my assistance can be of any use please let me know.

0 Kudos
KChen82
Beginner

Some good news. I think I found a temporary solution!

I went into Window's Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode

And set:

On Battery: Maximum Performance

Plugged in: Maximum Performance

I forgot what it was before, but it was not "Maximum Performance" for both.

I am now able to get a steady 50-70 mbps connection with 2-3 ping on speedtest.net with HT mode on.

I can't believe I didn't think of going into Window's Power Options until a few hours ago.

So far, I have managed to maintain a steady connection for 5 hours. I pray that it stays this way.

I hope this will be helpful for others out there that are experiencing the same problem.

Just FYI:

Thinkpad Yoga

Intel Wireless-N 7260

Windows 8.1

Driver version: 17.0.2.5

Routers:

Asus RT-AC68U

TP-Link TL-WA901N

0 Kudos
KChen82
Beginner

Looks like I spoke too soon in my last post. After 24 hours my connection randomly dropped all the way back to 3 Mbps then it just wouldn't send/receive anything until I turned off HT mode. Looks like this is a problem that builds up over time and setting the power options to Maximum Performance only slow down the process.

Very disappointed... For your own sake Intel, fix this before someone starts a class action suit.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hopefully we will get it fixed for next release. Did you report it to the Intel® wireless support team?

0 Kudos
GColl5
Beginner

Can I ask what is uPASD and what does it do?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Read this article to know more: http://features.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/4103/a-guide-to-wi-fi-power-save-technologies/ http://features.techworld.com/mobile-wireless/4103/a-guide-to-wi-fi-power-save-technologies/

Basically, any power saving schemes reduces optimum throughput to obtain a longer battery run time since WiFi on mobile doesn't need full throughput all the time. Laptops that is on battery benefits from this but it's not ideal if you need stable low pings for gaming and streaming.

0 Kudos
CAncu1
Beginner

boy oh boy I'm not even sure where to start!. I bought an AC card (7260) thinking about the future and it looks like I'm returning back in time! (dial-up was so stable!)

This has to be the worst wi-fi card ever!, and I tested a lot!. THIS CARD IS NOT ABLE TO CONNECT TO A 2.4GHz 802.11n (40Mhz) - 300Mbps Network!.

I tried everything(EVERY SINGLE DRIVER RELEASED TILL NOW, EVERY POSSIBLE FIRMWARE FOR MY ROUTER, EVERY POSSIBLE AND IMPOSIBLE ADAPTER SETTINGS ), I almost threw away my router, sent the card 2 times in RMA, and for what?!

This card only "woks" on 20Mhz, and not even there isn't working properly! (connection randomly drops all the way back to 2~3Mbps, and then it disconnects!...and then the fun begins!!!!!!!!!. trying to reconnect, changing drivers, adapter settings, router settings...just to be able to browse the web!)

The conclusion is the same, whatever you do, you can't stop the connection to randomly drop! YOU CAN'T HAVE A STABLE CONNECTION WITH THIS CARD!

Very disappointed, If I knew I'd become an unpaid tester(guinea pig) I would not have bought this....thing!

Maybe I shoud mention that this is a DESKTOP CARD !(if it matters or not)

Going back to Atheros, at least their drivers are paying off!

tvete
Valued Contributor II

Revert to 16.10 drivers and you should be able to get 300 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band. Maintaining that speed 95% of time is another matter though.

AGone
Novice

Any news on that? The driver 17.0.5 is still not working.

0 Kudos
AMalh1
Beginner

Intel - what the hell is going on at your offices??? I recently purchased a brand new Dell XPS 13 - your wifi card is terrible!!! Though it must be your drivers, because in safe mode it picks up my signal perfectly and at full speed!!! It's a 2.4ghz router and I am using Windows 8.1, based in London, UK.

How can this problem not of been fixed??? If you google this problem - people have been complaining for over a year and still not one of your drivers solves this problem. Scandalous.

Are you testing your updated drivers at intel?? You pay people alot of money I imagine to work for your company - there not doing their job! You keep releasing these 'updates' but there not solving the problem. Whatever the laptops are doing in safe mode - just try and copy that for your next update!

Unless you simply don't want to admit there is a massive problem with this card - as it would involve a global recall of epic proportions I imagine!

I will have to return the laptop if this can't be solved. Will never be touching any which come with an intel wireless card. Stick to making processors. It's what you guys do!

Is there a fix coming? If so - when??? Before or after someone sues you over this problem?

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.

It also necessary to consider the possibility of a third party application causing the problem since none of these applications will start in safe mode.

We suggest you contacting your nearest Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

agodk
Novice

is problem still on same condition?

cuz i was also tried with w 8.1 and w10 with latest drivers 18.21.0.2 still not able to connect more than 130 mpbs..

any suggests?

thnx