Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Getting horrible DPC latency on Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 what's the fix?

MPowe11
Beginner

Bought a Laptop with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and the drivers cause insane DPC latency spikes causing WiFi to drop. Is there a way to fix this or can intel make better drivers?

Happens on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.. Running Windows 10 64bit 1809 using latest WiFi Drivers as of Dec 8th.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MPowe11
Beginner

Here is the log...

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello  MPowe11,

Thank you for your answer.

You might try this:

Update the operating system to the latest version 1909.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

• Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer's support.
  • https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-14-X412DA/HelpDesk_Download/
  • Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.
  • Go to Device Manager.
  • Expand the Network Adapters category.
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Questions:

• Have you tried different wireless channels?
  • Does your router have the latest firmware?
  • How are you checking the latency? (provide screenshots)

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
MPowe11
Beginner

"Update the operating system to the latest version 1909."

Laptop came with this version. Where it still happened.. I actually downgraded OS in attempt to solve it.

"Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer's support."

Already did this.. same result.. Even went to Windows Update catalog and found drivers dating back to 2016.. All Give same result.

Questions:

• Have you tried different wireless channels? ( Yes I have.. Even tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz.. many channels. )
  • Does your router have the latest firmware? ( Yes I have Asus 3100 Router with Merlin Firmware 384.14 Beta 3 )
  • How are you checking the latency? (provide screenshots)

Here is DPC with Adapter disabled.

http://imgbox.com/f8KjGDIJ

Here is DPC with Adapter Enabled and YouTube video in background streaming.

http://imgbox.com/MtFi0iYE

Here is DPC with Adapter Enabled but idle and Local video playing...

http://imgbox.com/m9vjdR1U

Edit: Also want to add.. I bought a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 card off Amazon which is a repackaged Intel AX200 card. And it uses Intel drivers as well... Result is the same.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

We would like to try to replicate the issue, can you please provide detail steps in order for us to try to replicate the issue on our end?

Is this the software you are using to check the latency? if not please share a link to download it

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

One question, I can see you bought Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 card, did you test this card on the same laptop (ASUS VivoBook 14 X412DA) or on a different computer?  

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
MPowe11
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply.. Yes that is the program I was using for DPC latency test..

Also LatencyMon gives same results.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

The Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 card also gives same/similar results.. But like I said that card also uses Intel drivers so I am not 100% sure the problem here.

There really isn't much to my testing.. I am just streaming video over a WiFi connection.. Be it YouTube or Plex. This is when the problems happen.. It generates high DPC latency and I Get audio freezing or frame skips.. Only happens over WiFi.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

Thank you for the information.

I will try to test this behavior on our end.

Please allow me some time to update the thread.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

I would like to update the thread.

I was working on your case in order to test the behavior you are experiencing with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. I tested with 2 different drivers and the issue did not happen, please let me know if I am missing something in your configuration.

I recorded a video in order to show you the behavior we got with the latest generic drivers for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 20.70.13.2 (Video attached to the thread).

The only different thing I found on your computer (SSU report) is the driver version you have on your laptop.

The driver version you have is 21.50.0.5, this driver is not on our download center because the latest generic driver we have in our download center for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is 20.70.13.2 and the latest driver available on the official manufacturer website of your computer is 20.100.0.2492 if I am not mistaken the driver might get installed by Windows. 

You can check the following links:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 driver 20.70.13.2 

ASUS VivoBook 14 X412DA 20.100.0.2492

My recommendation is to perform a clean driver installation and test with the drivers on the previous links (Recommended to use OEM drivers since they are customized by the system manufacturer).

Steps:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers.

·        Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer's support. 

·        Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver. 

·        Go to Device Manager. 

·        Expand the Network Adapters category. 

·        Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 

·        Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 

·        Restart your computer. 

·        Locate the driver you downloaded, run it as an administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
MPowe11
Beginner

Well thanks for trying.. Guess there isn't much you can do then.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello MPowe11,

Based on the test and troubleshooting I will recommend you to test the driver from the OEM in case you need assistance to install the driver you might try to contact the system manufacturer of your laptop.

If the issue happens with other devices my recommendation is to contact the ISP (Internet Service Provider) to get further assistance with router configuration settings that might help you.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos