Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

HP Computer weak wifi signal with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3168

df963
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have been using my desktop for over 3 years now, and I have started to notice something that I never really took into consideration until now. My wifi signal is very weak on my desktop, despite the router being 3 feet away from the desktop. These past 3 years I never really have used WiFi, but rather since my router is on the desk, have used a LAN connection to use my computer, and it works flawlessly. However I have to change the location of my computer and when I tested the wifi for my computer, the signal is extremely weak, not more than 2 bars at once, averaging at only 1 wifi bar. despite being only like 3 feet away from the router. Everything takes several seconds to load, and I can only browse the internet due to the very slow speeds and signal. Please help as I will not be able to use my computer due to the change of location, any help is appreciated. I use spectrum internet and my router is the one that they give you. ( I am aware I have already posted this however posted it in the wrong forum section)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Wireless-AC 3168 is a card that looks something like this: 

n_scott_pearson_0-1637539951221.png

You have a desktop, so the card could be attached to the motherboard or to a very small PCIe add-in card that will itself be plugged into the motherboard.

The two little round connectors in the top-right corner of the card are for the two antennas, one that is used for 2.4GHz networking (and Bluetooth) and one that is used for 5GHz networking. You want to ensure that the antenna wires are properly connected. They are hard to reconnect, so don't pull them off if you can avoid it.

If they both appear to be connected, then you need to look at the possibility of a break in the wire(s). Maybe you have a friend who can use a multimeter to check for a break?

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to look at your antenna connections. You may have an antenna wire that is disconnected or has a break in it.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
df963
Beginner
How exactly would I do this? I don't know computer stuff that much so I don't know how to connect the wifi card antennas
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Wireless-AC 3168 is a card that looks something like this: 

n_scott_pearson_0-1637539951221.png

You have a desktop, so the card could be attached to the motherboard or to a very small PCIe add-in card that will itself be plugged into the motherboard.

The two little round connectors in the top-right corner of the card are for the two antennas, one that is used for 2.4GHz networking (and Bluetooth) and one that is used for 5GHz networking. You want to ensure that the antenna wires are properly connected. They are hard to reconnect, so don't pull them off if you can avoid it.

If they both appear to be connected, then you need to look at the possibility of a break in the wire(s). Maybe you have a friend who can use a multimeter to check for a break?

...S

0 Kudos
df963
Beginner

Thank you so much. I do have some knowledge and was able to connect the two antennas to the PCIe Wifi Card. Thank you for telling me the problem!

0 Kudos