Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

HP Envy Laptop and WiFi 6 AX210 160MHz Roaming Issue

AlanK
Novice

I am working on a brand new HP Envy laptop running Windows 11 and have run into an issue with the Intel WiFi 6 AX210 160MHz  adapter. 

If I set the Roaming Aggressiveness  to anything other than Low the following happens.

The laptop will connect to the Wi-Fi network and will begin transmitting data (running ping command in CMD window) and I get results then after a period of time (random 20 seconds to a minute or so) they ping command starts failing.  I look at the Wi-Fi status and it shows connected but no Internet.  I open another CMD window and run IPCONFIG and I see that the adapter no longer has an IP address assigned.  At this point no matter what I do (disconnect/reconnect, disconnect connect to different network) I cannot get the Wi-Fi to properly function. If I set the roaming aggressiveness to low I do not have any issue.

I updated the WiFi 6 AX210 160MHz  driver to the latest version on the Intel site (version: 22.110.1.1 dated 2022-01-02) but still get the same results.

I am connecting to TP-LINK access points and have other laptops connected without any issues.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AlanK, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the laptop?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before? 

Is this a recent problem?

If so, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might casue this issue?

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlanK
Novice

What is the model of the laptop?  HP Envy 17

Is this a new computer? NEW

When did you purchase it? DIRECT FROM HP

Was it working fine before? BRAND NEW, JUST STARTING TO SET IT UP AND NOTICED THE ISSUE

Is this a recent problem? JUST STARTED

If so, when did the issue start? THIS WEEK

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might casue this issue? STARTED INSTALL SOFTWARE SUCH AS MS OFFICE

The wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer? CAME INSTALLED IN THE LAPTOP

Which specific Windows* version are you using? WINDOW 11 VERSION 21H2

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? ONLY TESTED AT WORK

I will get logs and post them soon.

0 Kudos
AlanK
Novice

Attached is the output from the SSU.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AlanK, Thank you very much for proving that information and the SSU report.

Based on the SSU document, we can confirm, as you mentioned, that the wireless driver version currently installed on your computer is 22.110.1.1, provided by Intel®:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html?wapkw=ax210

Just to let you know, the Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning that they might or might not work on your machine. Based on that, we always recommend to install the wireless drivers provided by the manufacturer of the laptop, since those drivers were heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on Dell's website and the latest wireless driver version they have available in there is 22.60.0.6 Rev.A. Please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-17.3-inch-laptop-pc-17-ch0000/2100286043/swItemId/ob-275025-1

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Also, we recommend to get in contact directly with Dell support to confirm that the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your system or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello AlanK, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AlanK
Novice

I worked with HP support and they had me perform a Windows 11 reset via the cloud and after doing that everything worked.  It appears that it put the same version of the driver (22.110.1.1) on without upgrading it from the 22.60.0.6 version.  I am wondering if something happened during the upgrade that caused the issue since I had already performed a local reset of Windows 11 then tried to upgrade the driver.

At this point everything is working.  

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

AlanK, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

"I worked with HP support and they had me perform a Windows 11 reset via the cloud and after doing that everything worked":

Perfect, excellent, it is great to know that after the Windows* 11 reset the roaming issue got fixed and now everything is working properly.

"I am wondering if something happened during the upgrade that caused the issue since I had already performed a local reset of Windows 11 then tried to upgrade the driver.":

Yes, probably that is what happened since there are a lot of changes done every time a Windows update is performed.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos