Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

How to prevent Windows auto-install Driver so can install Older Driver?

idata
Employee

I need to resolve my connection problem, so I want to try installing an even older Driver.

I've heard those on the 2230 going to v14.8.8.xx fixes their connection problem. However, my problem is I'm using already the oldest default MS driver Win8.1 has installed, and when I uninstall it, Windows just installs it again.

So, how do I stop the auto-install, and could you give me the download link again for the various versions of drivers to download?

I have the Wireless-AC 7260 card.

Thanks.

BTW, for those wondering, while my connection issue was mostly solved by using the Win8.1 default driver, problem is I discovered that when you "browse", thus not actually sending requests all the time to the web, the connection still disconnects very briefly a lot still, thus having to refresh pages. It seems that pinging the internet by downloading, using a Connection Monitor, Online gaming etc. that has constant connections going to the net the disconnect only occurs after many hours, but when you're not pinging the net, the disconnects occur alot, it's noticeable and problematic.

I'm trying to play with the Roaming settings more, since that with the current driver seems to have helped the issue, to see if I can get it working, but I need a real fix. I live online, and I don't want especially when submitting something important I'll get screwed, so I need a real working driver.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

The default Microsoft drivers 16.0.... is the lowest version for the 7260 series. Intel specifically reserved the version 16 drivers to the 7260 while version 15 or lower is for their earlier Centrino series. Therefore, you cannot install version 14 drivers on a 7260 WiFi driver because the hardware architecture for the 7260 series is very different from the Centrino series thus requiring different drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've heard though that if one "downgrades" they might loose some "features" such as Bluetooth or Widi, but they could get their "wireless" actually back and working.

BTW, I don't think it's a completely different architecture, I think they just added some new features to the existing, changed a couple of things, and there you go.

Anyway, I've seen a couple people who claim they've downgraded with the other cards and they got their wireless back though loosing bluetooth and whatever. I'm willing to try anything. I need my wireless to work. I can do without Bluetooth and Widi for some time yet, a computer is useless without a proper working wireless.

I mean, it works still for playing games, but I'm not a big gamer, I use my computer for work, and so I need a proper internet. Further, otherwise I might have to run the Network Connection Monitor program have it run every second so I don't get disconnected from the net when I'm working. Because it seems as long as something is continuously connecting to the net I won't almost ever loose connection.

So INTEL..... are you listening to this? So, adjusting Roaming with the 16.0.0.62 driver Highest or Lowest helps, but the connection really only is semi-stable when something is constantly pinging the net, as well, two reports I've seen of ActionTec Routers from two different ISP's CenturyLink & Verizon FIOS thus different models having this issue. Apparently there are other routers also, but haven't verified that.

Anyway, so I'm willing to try some lower drivers, even if I loose some functions....

So, anyone have those instructions???

I did BTW try a couple that were in the Windows default drivers, not for this card, and a couple or one worked, but still had the connection issues. I think it was the "N" only version of this card.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

leeuniverse wrote:

I've heard though that if one "downgrades" they might loose some "features" such as Bluetooth or Widi, but they could get their "wireless" actually back and working.

Anyway, I've seen a couple people who claim they've downgraded with the other cards and they got their wireless back though loosing bluetooth and whatever. I'm willing to try anything. I need my wireless to work. I can do without Bluetooth and Widi for some time yet, a computer is useless without a proper working wireless.

Anyway, so I'm willing to try some lower drivers, even if I loose some functions....

So, anyone have those instructions???

I did BTW try a couple that were in the Windows default drivers, not for this card, and a couple or one worked, but still had the connection issues. I think it was the "N" only version of this card.

The 14.8.8.75 Centrino drivers from Microsoft does not support WiDi, but is proven to be stable for certain laptops and routers. As for Bluetooth, they probably uninstalled the Intel Bluetooth software and just use the "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" from Microsoft.

Why don't you try swapping a Centrino card (ex Ultimate-N 6300) then you can run the Microsoft's 14.8.8.75 drivers. BTW, the Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 does not have Bluetooth.

AFAIK, the drivers for 7260 series (doesn't matter if you have the Intel Wireless-N 7260 (2.4 GHz only), Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 or Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) are the same all across the models.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Theveterans first response appears to be correct in this case. Being this a request on Microsoft* drivers, the best recommendation will be contacting them for further assistance.

0 Kudos