Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

Intel 3165 losing connection to wi-fi

FFayz
Novice

Hi all,

I have a PC with Intel 3165 WLAN. After installing Windows May Update, I have been seeing several issues with wi-fi:

1. When I turn on my computer, it doesn't detect the SSID it used to automatically connect. It finds many other SSID's though, incl. the 5GHz one from the same router. It connects to the right SSID only after a couple of minutes.
  2. It works fine for 5-10 mins and drops the connection. When I try to connect manually, that SSID doesn't show up on the list for several minutes.

I have updated to the latest version of Intel drivers but that didn't help.

My router config hasn't changed, it is an Actiontec T3200M.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FFayz

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

·        Have you tried a clean installation of the wireless following these steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html.

·        What is the brand and model of your system?

·        Does the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 comes pre-installed on the system?

·        Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·        Steps to save the report:

1-   Run the utility.

2-   Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-   Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-   Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
FFayz
Novice

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I have tried clean install several times but that didn't help.

My system is Alienware Aurora R6. Yes, it does come pre-installed.

Please see the attached file as requested.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FFayz

Thank you for the information.

After reviewing your system report is see that you have the Driver Version: "19.51.21.1", can you try a clean installation of the wireless driver using the driver provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)? Do you have the same behavior? 

Reference link:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop/drivers

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
FFayz
Novice

Hi, I installed the latest driver from Dell. I am still being disconnected and receiving the following error in the Event Viewer: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 : The network adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver. Please advise what to do next.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FFayz

Thank you for the information.

Could you provide me with the Windows event viewer log file?

Steps to collect system event log and WLAN-AutoConfig log:

1.   In Windows search, search for “event” and select “Event Viewer”

2.   On the left pane, expand “Windows Logs”

3.   Right click on “System” and select “Clear Log…”

4.   Expand “Applications and Service Logs” -> “Microsoft” -> “Windows” -> “WLANAutoConfig”

5.   Right click on “Operational” and select “Clear Log…”

6.   Reproduce issue.

7.   Reference above steps (instead of Clear Log… choose Save All Events as…) to save the system event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs in .evtx format

Please fill up the information requested on the attached document.

This information would be helpful to look into the behavior that you are having.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

FFayz, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

FFayz
Novice

Hi, yes, I saw the information and waiting for the issue to be reproduced. I will get back to you ASAP. Thank you.

RCauv
Beginner

Any updates for us on whether you are still having this issue, @FFayz​?

0 Kudos
FFayz
Novice
Having the same issue, no change. Had to hardwire. Is my hardware faulty? I have no issues whatsoever with wifi when using my MacBook, iPhone, kids' tablets, wife's Android phone. The issue is with my Windows PC.
0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

@FFayz​  I reported a similar (but perhaps not quite the same) issue. My new computer with this Intel card never connects automatically to any wifi networks. I have to manually connect every time. However, I am not experiencing any disconnects.

0 Kudos
FFayz
Novice
Mine disconnects and does not reconnect. Wifi is basically unusable now.
0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Have you tried the remedy suggested by @LWAKSMAN​?

In Device Manager, open WiFi adapter properties. In Power Management, uncheck: "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FFayz

Have you been able to collect the information?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello FFayz

I haven’t heard back from you; please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

For what it's worth, I am also experiencing this problem. I have a fresh and fully-updated installation of Windows 10 Pro on my computer. Though I have configured the PC's wireless network to "connect automatically", it does not do so. If, for example, I reboot the computer, it does not connect to the wireless network. I have to manually connect it. The driver and version that shows in the wifi properties is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 19.51.21.1, which appears to be the latest version. I nevertheless did try downloading "WiFi_21.10.1_Driver64_Win10.exe" and installing it, but the installer silently quit after a couple of seconds displaying a rotating cursor.

I have followed the instructions above to generate event logs while reproducing the problem. While initially connected to the "PlazaLofts" wireless network, which is configured to "connect automatically", I:

1. Cleared the System and WLANAutoConfig event logs.
  2. Connected to the "quiche - 5GHz" wireless network (thereby dropping the connection to the "PlazaLofts" network).
  3. Disconnected from the "quiche - 5GHz" network.
  4. Verified that the "PlazaLofts" network is still configured to "connect automatically".
  5. Waited for a couple of minutes. The machine did not automatically reconnect to the "PlazaLofts" network.

Please note that this problem with reconnects occurs with other wireless networks I have tried.

Please find the System event log and the WLANAutoConfig event log. Also, I have filled out what I can in the Intel Windows WiFi Issue - Customer Info Request.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

I recommend creating a new thread to isolate you case and system configuration, please make sure you add the information of the system model and specs, detail information of the problem that you are having, plus all the information that you have added to this thread, so we can get more information about the problem.

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Thank you, Leonardo. I have opened that separate thread here. Please note that I filled out and linked to the "Intel Windows WiFi Issue - Customer Info Request" form, so all of the system configuration and specs should be there. I also linked to the output of the event logs mentioned in this thread.

0 Kudos